earthworms in pool each night

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Art
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 33x17

Postby Art » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 16:51

worms in my pool.
i clean the pool today and tomorrow there are 50-100 of them.
I live in south east florida. My pool deck is 3feet wide on the lawn side and completely paved from my home up to the pool itself.I have a screen enclosure covering the pool on the all sides away from my house.
Any Ideas on how they get in my pool. ?I have never seen them during daylight hours.

How do I get rid of them.? My pool cleaning service does not have an answer.
:?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 17:24

Do you have a watering system that comes on in the evening or early morming, or is there regular rain or heavy early morning dew?

What is the deck made of? Could the worms be living under the deck?

:wtf:
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 02:46

A friend of mine put a rough (hemp?) rope around his concrete deck where it meets the lawn. After that he never saw another earthworm, slug or snail on his deck or in the pool. :thumbup:

Apparently the rough prickly surface is enough to deter these creatures. You certainly wouldn't want to kill the earthworms as they are extremely beneficial for the garden. :D

Larry

Earthworms in pool each night

Postby Guest » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 06:39

I have the same problem here in Raleigh, NC. Clean the pool and in the morning there are 50+ live earthworms in the pool. I'll give the hemp rope a try today and post if it works.

Jp

Postby Guest » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 06:04

And?? :eh:
lexsc1978

Postby lexsc1978 » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 10:34

Did the rope work? I read your post and the EPA wont let Trugreen Chemlawn spray a strong enough chemical to kill earthworms. I am tired of vacuuming 50 plus worms from the bottom of my pool each day!
craigtrc

Postby craigtrc » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 10:34

I just saw a posting on another site that suggested using DE (diamataceous earth) in the gardens around the pool as a worm deterrent.
FL Pooler

Postby FL Pooler » Sun 15 Nov, 2009 09:54

I'm in Central FL and have the same problem. I did notice one thing though. After discounting all the other likey reason (no heavy rains,3+ ft deck, pool screen, etc), I did recently spray weed-killer on some pesky weeds around pool and rest of house - and ever since i find a bunch at the bottom of pool. Not sure how they get in (maybe drainage system). Could the weed killer chemical be driving them out of their burrows? Also is there any harm from their decomposing carcass that contaminate pool water. Keep up with Chlorine/Muratic acid. Pls HELP!
JH in NC

Postby JH in NC » Wed 19 May, 2010 07:59

Every time it rains we get earthworms in our pool ! We drained the water out and got it all cleaned up ,the rain came down and there were the worms.,Drained it again the rain came down there is the worms.It is driving us crazy here in Trinity NC.Please Help! :crazy:
Frostcutlery
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Frostcutlery » Tue 25 May, 2010 10:23

I too live in FL and have an in-ground pool but never had any problems with worms getting into the pool but we did get a lot of other types of bugs and insects. I went to a Pool Supplies store and bought some chemicals to shock the pool and one of those vacuums that ride around on the bottom picking stuff up and between the two of them the pool remained pretty clean most of the summer. Having a good filter will help out a lot also.
wardnency12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Very big swimming pool

Postby wardnency12 » Thu 03 Jun, 2010 05:00

Long periods of rain or very water soaked soil will bring the earthworms to the surface. I have no idea how your swimming pool is designed. Earthworms are as far as being a pest as a organism can be. They are very helpful in providing nutrients to the soil, help increase the amount of soil and serve by their presence to indicate that the soil environment is in good condition at least.
Dieter Uslar

Postby Dieter Uslar » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 19:16

we have the same problem south of Chile... every time I clean the pool... ther are lots of worms... pelase let me know your solutions, thanks in advance.
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby swimfit » Sun 08 May, 2011 03:29

i tend to think this is from seeping through the deck. This can't be a constant problem otherwise, that too, on a daily basis as you say.
Star rose

Postby Star rose » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 09:31

I have an above ground pool-- I went out to inspect to see how the earth worms are getting in my pool. I saw some dried/dead worms on the outside walls of pool, and others caught in a few spider webs at the top. This is evident that they are ascending the pool walls when it rains and falling into the pool. Then I sprayed around my pool with insecticide, and I saw huge amounts of worms coming out of the bottom outside ring of pool where it meets the walls. It is very narrow, but there were tons of worms coming out when sprayed. It's wet there so they must be living and breeding in the bottom outside perimeter of the pool. Anyhow I have read that an insecticide Sevin will kill them. Honestly I don't see the harm in sprinkling it on the concrete perimeter if the worms are going to commit suicide anyway by drowning. Worms are beneficial in many ways, but if these worms are bound for death either way, I'd rather not have to scoop them and clean the filter every time it rains.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”