vacuum loses suction quickly

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
Kenny

vacuum loses suction quickly

Postby Kenny » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 20:40

When I'm vacuuming my above ground pool, I start with real good suction power. Within 2 or 3 minutes, I have lost all suction. I backwash the filter, but the backwashed water isn't very dirty. I start vacuuming again and have real good suction for another 2 or 3 minutes, but again, I lose sucking power. I backwash again, and again I have good sucking power for a couple of minutes. I have not had this problem in past years.
Do I have a problem with my pump or filter?
Thanks,
Kenny

Postby Guest » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 14:18

I have the same exact problem and if you or anyone else could please let me know what you did to fix this!!!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 14:37

Sounds like your pump is losing it's prime. When this happens, does it suck all the water out of your pumps basket?
steely2400

Postby steely2400 » Wed 27 Jun, 2007 20:37

I have that same problem on my in-ground pool. The pump basket does drain almost half way. Afterwards in order to get it to filter properly again i need to place the hose back in the filter basket and re-prime. any and all help is appreciated. I am past my last nerve!!!
jimmy

LOSE OF SUCTION

Postby jimmy » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:23

i have that problem too....good suction for a few minutes, then i lose it....so what is the cause and how do we fix it....new pump or what ? THANK YOU to anyone who can solve this problem.
Fission7x
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Fission7x » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 09:35

Could your vacuum hose or skimmer connection be allowing air to get in the system?
Does suction come back once you just turn the pump off for a few minutes, without backwashing?
Does suction come back if you throttle into service another suction source?
StarterPool

Losing vacuum suction

Postby StarterPool » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 06:31

I am so glad that I found this website! I have been searching the Internet to try and find the answer to this very question!

I am having the same problem as everyone else that has posted. My above ground 24' pool is only one year old and this year I have not been able to keep the pool clean because my vacuum keeps losing its suction and it is becoming a hassle to vacuum.

Here is my problem:

I backwash and rinse the pool and then set it to filter and all is working well -- nice water pressure. I set up the vacuum, fill hose with water, wait for all bubbles to settle, and insert the hose - the vacuum begins working fine -- excellent actually. Then, after about 30 minutes, it just stops.

I check the vacuum - making sure not to get air in the hose - no blockage. So I undo the vacuum hose and notice that there isn't any water coming out into the pool (sorry, I don't know all the terminology).

So, I turn off the pump, set the pump to rinse, rinse for a few minutes, and reset it to filter and BINGO! I have water coming back into the pool with nice pressure. I set the vacuum up all over again and it works -- but only for about 30 minutes or so.

This is very frustrating. I thought I might need to change the sand, but I've only had the pool for one year.

What else can I do? Thank you so much!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 08:51

It's not your sand. If you backwash does it last any longer?

It sounds like you have an air leak somewhere. Double check all your fittings to be sure the pump isn't sucking air when under strain (vaccuming).
StarterPoolUser
I'm new here
I'm new here

Vacuum suction

Postby StarterPoolUser » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 14:18

Thanks, Backglass. I don't notice a difference when I backwash or rinse. I'm basically just doing that (backwash/rinse) to throw off the pump and get it started again (similar to rebooting a computer!). It seems to work, so that's what I do each time.

I've taken apart the entire vacuum and found no leaks/issues with it ( I have a DirtDevil pool vacuum for above ground pools).

I haven't thgought of checking the fittings around the pump -- honestly, I'm afraid to mess with any of those connections since I'm not sure what to do if I mess things up.

When the installers came to install the pool last summer, all they left me with was one sheet of paper with very vague drawings and instructions. I thought I would have gotten a "users manual" or something! lol

Do you, by any chance, know if something like that exists for real novice pool owners like myself?

I appreciate the help and any feedback you can continue to provide. Enjoy your weekend!

Postby Guest » Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:55

I am having this same problem...vacuum works great for about 5 -10 minutes then quits! How do I check for air leaks???
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sat 18 Aug, 2007 13:29

If you have a suction air leak you will have air bubbles in return lines all the time. So either way vacuuming or not after a few mins bubbles should be gone.

If you do have air bubbles only when vacuuming by new one

if you have air bubbles all the time it can be alot of things
pool water level, you start sucking air
leaky skimmer
pipes from skimmer to pump
o-ring for pump basket
worped pump basket lid from over-heating do to low water level
look at pipe comming from top of pump is it dripping water? you can cut and clean, put on new pipe dope and glue/cement back together

lets say no air bubbles

look for debri in your impeller:
turnoff pump-moter and remove basket. then take your finger or small screw driver and go to small hole at bottom and turn impeller. if it seems very hard to turn something is stuck in there and you can have problems and need to take apart a clean.

your filter:
The pool systems that come with above ground pools are not as strong as inground pool equipment.

Try cleaning your filter and inspecting all parts sometimes you will be suprised what you find in them
jimjimracing
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jimjimracing » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 00:01

hi. everyone.
i am new here. first post.

search the net and found here.

my pump... works very strong without going thru the filter sys.
the filter seems blocked.. it start with 15PSI.. then 5-10 mins later. it built up to 80-90 pSI.. and i can see the body of the filter expand a bit too.

plenty of water in the pump basket..

is it hard to change the O rings and does it necessary to change the filter?..

[img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/ifleung/pool/poolfilter.JPG
[/img]

[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/ifleung/pool/poolpump1.JPG[img]

[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/ifleung/pool/poolpump2.JPG[img]
[/img]http://members.optusnet.com.au/ifleung/pool/poolpumpcontrol.JPG[img]

[/img]
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:19

no matter what type of filter if you see it expand with pressure rising clean it or open it up and inspect it.

if you have trouble with o-ring filter go to pool store get some magic lube/grease and lube it up alot. always make sure it fits snug if not it's harder to put on but possible with lube.

for filter frustration do to cleaning alot must be cartridge as sand & DE can backwash.

make sure to soak cartridge in good cleaner, just follow instruction on bottle.

as for new by quality cartridge & when cleaning do above
jimjimracing
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jimjimracing » Tue 28 Aug, 2007 05:27

thanks mr. Clean.

i went to pool shop got some degrease power.. and soak the cartidge in warm water for few hours. scrubbed and jet cleaned.

put back and it do a great job. before the suction only last 5-10 mins.
after the clean... it last about 3 hours...

then the problem comes back again.

by the way.,, i put some grease in the valve... makes it much easy to turn.

is it good to disassemble the cartidge to just clean the cloth?? some area cannot be really scrubbed..
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 28 Aug, 2007 20:23

If you cleaned the filter good and the problem comes back the cartridge could need to be replaced. How old is it? If it was not cleaned correctly over the years a new one may be needed. I assume this problem did not happen before?

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”