I CAN'T KEEP CHLORINE IN MY POOL!!!!!!!!!!

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Thys

Postby Thys » Thu 16 Jul, 2009 13:41

Hi. I had a salt chlorinator fitted. It works beautifully the first day and then just stops making chlorine. The indicator on the machine shows is making chlorine, but coming into the pool and the free chlorine shows either very low or nothing. The guy that sold me the machine have changed sells 5 times and still after the first day it doesn't produce. Any help?

all blue pools

Postby all blue pools » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:16

low chlorine can be a combination of things. most likley you are doind it to your self. algacides that are ammonia based rob the chlorine out of the pool. like algacides from home depot if it is not a copper based algacide you are killing your pool. pools near farm animals lots of ammonia, ammonia kils chlorine. I NOTICED YOU SAID CALCIUM 85? IS THAT 85 OR 8,500 PARTS PER MILLION?? 8.500 IS OFF THE CHARTS. MOST POOL MEN WOULD DAY DRAIN THE POOL.
IAM ALL BLUE POOLS PHOENIX ARIZONA 602-943-1909 35 YEARS POOL BUSSINESS I GO ONCE A MONTH IN THE SUMMER AND MY POOLS ARE ALL BLUE YOU DONNOT NEED TO TEST EVERY DAY!! HOW RIDICULES.
#1 STOP USING ALGACIDES
THE POOL INDUSTRY HAS YOU ON A SHORT CHAIN. YOU KEEP CONSULTING THE POOL STORE.
I NOTICED YOU DID NOT MENTION YOUR TDS COUNT TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS COUNT. POOL CARE IS ACTUALLY VERY SIMPLE . CHLORINE IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE CHEMICAL ON THE PLANET WITH OUT ADDING
OTHER CHEMICALS TO QUOTE" HELP IT"
WHEN YOU ADD A BUNCH OF ADDITIVES YOU MUCK UP THE WATER.
THIS IS WHERE MY POOLS ARE
CHL 7.0--ACID 7.4 -7.6--ALKALINITY 200--STABILIZER 150
I HAVE FOUND THAT SALT IN THE WATER JUST BASIC MORTEN SALT WILL CAUSE A LOT OF POOL PROBLEMS TO CEASE AND GIVE THE SWIMMER #!NO MORE RED EYES. #2 NO MORE DRY SKIN DUE TO HIGH
CHLORINE OR LOW PH. IF YOU ARE USING CAL HYPO STOP IT IS CALCIUM BASED. PHOENIX, ARIZ WATER IS
VERY HIGH IN CALCIUM. TRI-CHLOR IS A VERY BALANCED CHEMICAL AND WHEN YOU HAVE A SALT CONTENT OF EVEN 1500 PPM THERE IS GREAT, EFFECT I DO NOT HAVE SALT GENERATORS ON MY POOLS BUT I HAVE ADDED SALT TO THE WATERS DUE TO TESTING THAT I HAVE DONE THAT REVELS POOL WTH SALT A SALT CONTENT DO BETTER THAN THOSE WITHOUT.
STICK TO THE BASICS STABILIZED TRI-CHLOR TABS, MURIATIC ACID, TRI-CHLOR SHOCK, LIQUID CHLORINE "IF" NO SALT IN THE POOL, STABILIZER 100% -150%, ALKALINITY 200 . WHEN YOU TRY TO KEEP THE WATER TO CHL 3.0-- ACID 7.2--ALKALINTY 125 STABIIZER 90% YOU ARE WORKING WITH THE MINIUMS
POOL OWNERS THINK THAT THEY HAVE WATER IN A CHEMISTRY LAB AND DONOT FACTOR IN THE OUT DOORS AND THE COMPLCATIONS THAT GO WITH THE OUT DOORS.
IN 93 DEGREE SUMMER WATER WE HAVE TO HAVE SUFFICIENT CHLORINE TO KILL BACTERIA 24/7 THE POOL WATER MUST HAVE FUDGE FACTORS BUILT IN TO THE CHEMISTRY EQUATION SO THAT THE FACTORS OF POOL WATER PROBLEMS DONT THROW IT OUT OF SINK.

#1 SALT 1500-2500 PPM WILL ENABLE YOU TO KEEP CHLORINE HIGHER AND NOT HARM SWIMMERS THE SAME IS WITH THE ACID, SALT ALSO METERS THE BURN OF CHLORINE WITH THE ACID
#2 STAY AWAY FROM ALAGICES!! IF YOU HAVE ANY ALGAE PROBLEMS YOU NEED MORE CHLORINE NOT!! ALGACIDES USE TRI -CHLOR I HAVE A SPECIAL TAB FEEDER THAT ALLOWS ME TO GO ONCE A MONTH IN THE SUMMER AND EVERY TWO MONTHS IN THE WINTER.
#3 DONOT USE CALCUM HYPER-CHORID "NO CALCIUM BASED PRODUCTS"
#4 MAKE SUR YOU HAVE CYNERIC ACID(STABILIZER AT 100%-150%
IF YOU ARE TRULEY WANTING A BALANCED POOL CALL ME 602-943-1909 MY MACHINE IS ON 24/7. ALAN
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 18:33

SandraThompson
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have an Inground swimming pool, it is 3-years old now. It was a gift from my dad.

Postby SandraThompson » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 23:01

Maybe you are not using the right chlorine for your pool. Sometimes there are chlorine that are not compatible with the water of your pool, that's why it does not help in preventing the algae and other bacteria. You should try researching in other sites, they could have tips in solving your problems.

See if this helps
Chlorine rocks
Pool Inexpert

Postby Pool Inexpert » Sat 15 May, 2010 13:08

I just installed a pool about a month ago so I'm really not sure how to manage the usual maintenance and am also having trouble with the chlorine levels dropping quicker than I think they should.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that I have an above ground pool as opposed to an in ground pool?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 15 May, 2010 21:47

Do an overnight chlorine test to see how much you are losing at night with no sun on the pool. If you are only losing chlorine during the day, then you probably don't have enough (or any) Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water -- this is also known as stabilizer or conditioner. You should have at least 30 ppm and probably around 50 ppm.

The other possibility is that you have CYA in the water, possibly too much, and that your Free Chlorine (FC) level isn't high enough for your CYA level and that algae is growing, even if it's nascent and not yet visible, but it still uses up chlorine. Your FC should be at least 7.5% of your CYA level in a manually dosed pool. You can learn more by reading the Pool School including the Chlorine / CYA Chart that is there.
brennaMP
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Well, my pools kinda ugly.. i need some repair and arranging to be done.

Postby brennaMP » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 02:09

Well, its obvious that the chlorine is your problem. Maybe you just put a little amount of chlorine or the brand your using is not helping you.. You can also try using different brands and test which is more productive. Try using aquarite.
poolfilters
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Leading Suppliers of swimming pool filter cartridges, pool filters, pool filters and pumps, pool filter cartridges, pool filter suppliers, Hayward replacement cartridge filters, grid filters, spa products.

Postby poolfilters » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 05:18

It is difficult to tell you without getting the rest of what is or is not in your water. Do you have a test kit to see what your level is? We can help once we have a bit more information.
Uknown P

Postby Uknown P » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 13:15

You have 3 types of readings for Chlorine. Total Chlorine, Free Chlorine and Combined Chlorine. So you take a reading lets say Total Chlorine is 2.5 which imho is a good reading, Free Chlorine is at say 2, now you subtract FC from TC which gives you CC and that comes to .5 So if you are reading a difference of less than 1.5 you are in good shape. There are many many more factors to getting, and keeping, your chlorine so that your ORP(Oxidation Reduction Potential) is maintained at around 700-750. Ph should be as close to 7.4 as you can keep it in your pool, a hot tub should be closer to 7.2. Alkalinity should be between 80-120 and hardness as close to 200 as you can keep it. This is a "balanced" system. TA (total alkalinity) PH, and hardness are the most important aspects to focus on. Once you can stablize those, then you will notice stable chlorine levels. Remember one important thing, if you are talking about an outdoor pool and mistakenly think that Cyunaric acid is your friend you are sadly mistaken. The higher the cyunaric acid level the less effective your chlorine. You absolutely must not have to high a level of cyunaric acid. Many places are now having the health authorities actually ban cyunaric acid as a chlorine stabilizer as even at low levels cyunaric acid reduces the effectiveness of chlorine by over %30. If you think you can smell "chlorine" you actually aren't. What you are smelling are "chloramines". Rather than spend the time here to give in depth explanations it's better to "google" for the explanation.
As somenone who deals with public pools on a daily basis I highly recommend that everyone look into installing a salt water system. This is an automated system that will read everything from your ph to your salt levels and adjust accordingly, to maintain a perfect ORP. An electric in line cell will convert the salt, in the water, to chlorine, as needed to maintain the proper level. Good luck.
PhD43
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete

Postby PhD43 » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 17:19

You sound like you definitely need some stabilizer in your pool to hold on to the chlorine. I was having alot of problems with algae and I was spending a fortune on chemicals. My pool store told me that most of my chemicals were going to waste through evaporation with my fixed returns that were just below the surface of my pool. He told me to replace all my returns with the circulator and WOW - what a difference it made in my pool. I have not had problems with algae for years now and I spend about half as much as I did for chemicals. He said that the circulator is getting my chemicals down to the floor of my pool and throughout the entire pool to work instead of getting wasted off the surface of my pool. They are a low cost item and they paid for themselves the first month with all the savings that I had on the chemical purchases. I would recommend it to all pool owners who want to have more fun and less hassles with their pool. IT worked great for me as well as my friends and family that I recommended it to over the years. :thumbup:
Pam

Re: I CAN'T KEEP CHLORINE IN MY POOL!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Pam » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 12:16

KIMMYJO wrote:I PUT CHLORINE IN MY POOL EVERY EVENING AND BY MORNING WHEN I TEST IT, MY FREE CHLORINE LEVEL IS ZERO. BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE, I AM CONSTANTLY FIGHTING BUGS AND ALGAE. I SHOCK ONCE A WEEK, BUT IT USUALLY NEEDS IT AGAIN BEFORE THE WEEK IS UP. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG OR WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS? PLEASE HELP! I AM ABOUT READY TO GET RID OF MY KIDS POOL.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 17 Jul, 2016 05:01

It seems like you have to much Cyanuric acid in your water
What are you using to chlorinate? (stablised chlorine will introduce Cyanuric acid as well)
Have you read all the information in this post? Especially Chem Geek who is very knowledgable
spartacus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have got Intex

Postby spartacus » Mon 08 May, 2017 16:24

There is usefull tips in article "How to Use Pool Chlorine Tablets" on http://bestlinepool.com.ua/
spartacus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have got Intex

Postby spartacus » Fri 19 May, 2017 15:48

Return to “Chlorine”