How do I decrease water hardness levels in my pool

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
meatloaf
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,500 Plaster pool. Sta-Rite HRPB 30 Sand filter, 13 in floor Quik-Klean pop up jets.

Re: Reduce hardness in pool

Postby meatloaf » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 21:25

mrmike wrote:I used a regular water softener and a submersible pump - took 2 weeks to go from almost 700 to 200 ppm

This idea has got my attention. Could you elaborate on this process?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Reduce hardness in pool

Postby Backglass » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 20:40

meatloaf wrote:
mrmike wrote:I used a regular water softener and a submersible pump - took 2 weeks to go from almost 700 to 200 ppm

This idea has got my attention. Could you elaborate on this process?

The pump is to empty the "hard" pool water out into the yard...

The water softener is used to re-fill the above water with "soft" water from the house. Most outdoor hose bibs bypass the water softner so you would have to rig up a hose from a washing machine, sink, etc.

All this assumes you actually HAVE a water softener in your home however. ;)
jimkam

pool hardness

Postby jimkam » Wed 31 Oct, 2007 12:31

I have a 12,000 gallon - salt system pool - my pool water hardness was 1250 - I have been using a product called HYDROQUEST 100 for the past year - each 1 pound bag will reduce my hardness 300ppm - takes 7-14 days for the product to work effectively - with regular usage I have been able to maintain 400-500ppm - I am very pleased with the product - I have no scale problem, etc. anymore.
Rioesmarex

Hard water in pool

Postby Rioesmarex » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 15:53

Back in October someone named Jimcam posted an answer to the hard water problemm saying he used a commercial product called HYDROQUEST 100 to solve his problem
Does anyone know where to buy this product, ..... and it's cost ...... or even better, to do it less expensively, what is the main ingredient in the product or is there a generic version ?

Thanks
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

decrease water hardness levels in my pool

Postby mr_clean » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 18:25

if you clickhere & scan down page you will see the product & price.
Cleaburn

Pool hardness

Postby Cleaburn » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 19:36

I have been told that the water in my pool needs to be changed out every two years to reduce the hardness level. Unfortunately, its a big pool and it seems a huge waste of water to do that (I live in Vegas). The cost to replace my pool water would be about $350? Is there a way to treat my problem without changing it? My pool hardness spiked out the meter (over 2500) and they say 1100 or so is the norm.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 19:49

The numbers you are quoting sound more like Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) reading rather than Calcium Hardness (CH). If your CH were even 1000 let alone 2000, you'd be seeing serious scaling. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a good test kit, either the Taylor K-2006 you can get at a good online price here or the TF100 from tftestkits(dot)com here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

If your fill water is hard (as is common with well water), then evaporation and refill of the water will raise the CH fairly quickly. The best way to reduce this is to use a pool cover to reduce evaporation. A normal CH level is around 300 ppm.

Richard

Postby Guest » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 22:49

Ya'll should check out this water softening product just released from Sweden. Its absolutely amazing. Want soft water that doesn't build up? Want to cut chlorine cost in atleast half?

We've been using this product on heated hotel pools around New England with great results!

vwp-usa is our product.

Thanks in advance!

Postby Guest » Thu 13 Nov, 2008 22:52

really though, its brand spanking new nano technology

vwp-usa
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 14 Nov, 2008 00:03

You haven't made the list yet, but check out the Gallery of water-related pseudoscience. Sounds like your product is similar to several others listed with "resonance" and "frequency" technologies or perhaps "ionized water scams".

Postby Guest » Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:06

resonance frequency is right. No scam though. You should try it for yourself and determine your own conclusion. Our test pools have turned from a green mold to clear blue. Pool owners are able to use 50% less chlorine to keep bacteria levels low. The water also feels better on the skin and are not drying out your pours.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:00

Some comments on your company and product may be found here. Vitalized Water Products appears to be rebranded from Nilemark Water Processors. If the product works so well, why not have an independent test lab (with a good reputation) try it out? Why rely on a smattering of testimonials (see here for example, from a related website gfxtechnology(dot)com).

In the FAQ here, you say that VWP "crystallizes the minerals in the water reducing hard water scaling problems". In other words, IF the water is already super-saturated with calcium carbonate, THEN the technology could (I'm not saying it does, but giving you the benefit of the doubt) promote and accelerate crystallization (otherwise known as scaling). If this occurred, then your unit (or the pipes where your unit is attached) would build up scale and would need to be replaced or cleaned often. Where does all of this crystallized (i.e. solid) go? Also note that even causing crystallization will still leave the water near saturation of calcium carbonate -- it could still scale if such water were raised in temperature or pH downstream, such as in a gas heater or an SWG cell in a pool.

By the way, it's not bacteria that consumes chlorine in pools -- even extraordinarily low levels of chlorine will kill most bacteria and prevent uncontrolled growth (unless biofilms have already formed). Higher levels of chlorine relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level are required to prevent algae growth unless a supplemental algaecide (or phosphate remover) is used. Also, most chlorine loss occurs from breakdown from sunlight in residential pools (in commercial pools, it's mostly consumed from the high bather loads).

Richard
vwp

Postby vwp » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:23

Actually, the VWP system prevents the hardness PPM from bonding to themselves or anything else. The scale is completely eliminated. A 60 day 100% money back guaranteee should be twice as long as it would take to see great results.
costasebastian
I'm new here
I'm new here

How do I decrease water hardness levels in my pool

Postby costasebastian » Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:55

I also live in Las Vegas. You need a pool expert to go a check your pool. I know these guys are pretty good and they are in Las Vegas

Good luck!
Last edited by Larry on Fri 13 Mar, 2009 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spamvertising
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Reduce apparent hardness with magnets

Postby Larry » Fri 13 Mar, 2009 13:02

I know this is anecdotal, but I decided to test out this whole "magnetic field reduces hardness" claim for myself.

I was given a magnet set for the mains water and attached it to the plastic (PPRC) water line where it feeds into my house. I didn't tell my wife or kids that I had done anything. Two or three days later they began telling me that the water filters (I use a 10 micron then a 5 micron filter) were clogged because the water felt soft and "slimy" especially after using soap. Then I was told that the dishwashing detergent was foaming abnormally.

I could feel the difference too, which was quite marked. We began using less soap, detergent, fabric softener, dishwasher salt, etc. I know that the same minerals are in the water, but the water really does "feel" and behave softer.

I got a second magnet and put this on our water heater's closed loop (we have underfloor heating). A week later the heater's grit filter clogged up. I cleaned it out and found clumps of flaky limescale. I cleaned it weekly for 5 weeks, by which time there was very little of the scale getting caught. Our heating bill has gone down compared to previous years.

Do the magnets reduce the hardness? No.
Do they make the calcium less reactive? Yes, I think so.
Do I believe that magnets can successfully be used to reduce the effects of hard water? Definitely!

Larry

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”