Borax & BBB pool care

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Borax & BBB pool care

Postby chem geek » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 11:25

Eyeez84 wrote:I have a question what is the most effective way to utilize that feature? I ran it for several hours for a few days in a row and it seemed to not have any effect in raising my FC levels - I assume my scaling/ PH problem could have contributed?

What feature are you talking about? Are you talking about aerating the water as with a fountain,waterfall, spillover, turning the returns up with the pump set high, etc.? Aeration will raise the pH with no change in TA, but if your purpose is to lower the TA level you want to lower the pH first with acid (to close to 7.0) so that aeration drives out carbon dioxide faster. Aeration will have no effect on FC except possibly to slowly reduce it.

Borax & BBB pool care

Postby Guest » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 13:31

I have a question regarding the use of borax as a ph stabilizer (a bit off the subject of pools). I am a giant soap bubbler and mix my own bubble juice. The problem is the fluctuating pH level(s) which effect the productivity of the solution. I am using tap water (pH 7.9), Dawn Dish Detergent and a polymer. When diluted the pH rises to 8.2. My desired "sweet spot" for a ready-to-use "juice" is 7.2--7.4 pH. I can drop the high pH down to the sweet spot using citric acid but it is not stable. My question is this: Will borax stabilize the pH level of the bubble juice once it is diluted? And: Will borax assist in preserving the solution?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Borax & BBB pool care

Postby chem geek » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 23:13

If you've got carbonates in the water and the pH tends to rise, then that may be from carbon dioxide outgassing. You can either try lowering them from the tap water by aerating and adding acid to your 7.2-7.4 pH or you can do your batch processing with little headspace and airtight.

The borates are better at buffering higher pH so perhaps a phosphate buffer might be better for you as you can tune that for your desired pH. Just note that higher phosphate levels will precipitate calcium.
hannamarin
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Borax & BBB pool care

Postby hannamarin » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:54

it's very important to take care about pools and all the devices inside them! http://bigessaywriter.com/blog/10-tips-how-to-raise-your-labor-productivity has 10 tips for you for productivity raising!

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”