brown spots on bottom of my pool

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
asp5074

Postby asp5074 » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 19:37

Stains
When stains appear on swimming pool surfaces, immediate action should be taken to avoid costly and annoying repairs. Brushing can often remove fresh stains if recognized early enough. Neglected stains in plaster pools may ultimately require draining and an acid wash. Like colored water, stains are the result of metal ions in pool water. They indicate that either the source water contains metals, such as copper, iron and manganese, or that a corrosive pool water condition is dissolving metal pool components.

The first step after noticing a pool stain is to determine what caused the stain. This is done by testing the water for metals. The first step after noticing a pool stain is to determine what caused the stain. This is done by having your local dealer or service professional test the pool water for metals. If the stain is caused by metals, the dealer may recommend either a sequestering agent or clarifier to treat the problem. If metals are present due to improper pH levels, the pH should be adjusted to be within the range of pH 7.2-7.6. If the problem persists, add a sequestering agent or a clarifier that will chemically bind the metals so that they can be filtered out before they cause more staining problems.

Color Blue/Green Red/Brown Black
Cause Copper or Iron corrosion or from water supply. Iron or manganese corrosion or from water supply. Manganese in water supply.
Treatment 1 Adjust pH & alkalinity to recommended ranges.

2 Vigorously brush the stained areas.

3 Add sequestering agent & run filter.

4 Twelve hours later, shock treat the pool.

5 Retest pH & alkalinity. Also test hardness levels &, if necessary, raise to 200 ppm.

Notes:
Take a pool sample to a pool professional for dissolved metals testing 24-48 hours after treatment and at least once a month.

lisakmusco

Postby lisakmusco » Wed 09 Jun, 2010 12:56

We have a fibretech coated pool (recently resurfaced with it this year) and recently these brownish-green stains are appearing, mostly on the bottom, but some on the walls. We get the water tested every week or two and are in balance. Have added metalfree as well. Tried scrubbing, chlorine tab and vitamin c tab to no avail. Any other suggestions?
Fanie

Postby Fanie » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 06:18

lisakmusco wrote:We have a fibretech coated pool (recently resurfaced with it this year) and recently these brownish-green stains are appearing, mostly on the bottom, but some on the walls. We get the water tested every week or two and are in balance. Have added metalfree as well. Tried scrubbing, chlorine tab and vitamin c tab to no avail. Any other suggestions?
Fanie

Postby Fanie » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 06:27

Why dont u try Hydrocloric Acid 1L per 10 000L take APC Baracudas/Kreepy's out run pump for 24Hours and keep on brushing the stains. Afterwards rebalance your levels and do a metal treatment once a month
keeping your P.H 7.2 - 7.4. The stains are called osmoses its a chemical reaction in the liner with the Sodium Carbonate P.H Adjuster and Sodium Bicarbonate Alkalinity Adjuster. :D Try it, it works....
Miker

Postby Miker » Fri 13 May, 2011 08:23

I also have brown spots in the bottom of my pool, appears to be spores of some type, when you brush over them they blow up like a mushroom cloud, was told to use an algecide with copper in it, did not effect it at all, but created a gummy residue on the surface, pool now has a gummy ring around it, need help, any ideas ?
bonehead

Postby bonehead » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 19:15

craig wrote:Hello to all, and thanks for any help on our problem. We have a 27 ft round 54 inch deep pool that has brownish spots all over the bottom of pool they look like stains, I tried to scrub them off no luck its looks like stains in the liner. I've tried to shock it to ,no luck. I took a water sample to local pool shop and this was the readings free chlorine 4.7 total chlorine 4.7 , stablizer 61 , ph 7.1 , alkalinity 100, ca hardness 150.00 iron 0.2, copper 1.7. I have to say we a nature 2 mineral water purifier that has copper and silver in it . The copper level was real high according to pool rep and she thought it was because ph was to low so she wants me to get ph up to 7.6, shock the pool and see what happens before using a stain removal. also they thought it couldn't be algae under pool liner, they said liner was to thick to bleed through. I live in the pittsburg pa. area, any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks Craig
vbwitz

Postby vbwitz » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 21:21

bonehead wrote:
craig wrote:Hello to all, and thanks for any help on our problem. We have a 27 ft round 54 inch deep pool that has brownish spots all over the bottom of pool they look like stains, I tried to scrub them off no luck its looks like stains in the liner. I've tried to shock it to ,no luck. I took a water sample to local pool shop and this was the readings free chlorine 4.7 total chlorine 4.7 , stablizer 61 , ph 7.1 , alkalinity 100, ca hardness 150.00 iron 0.2, copper 1.7. I have to say we a nature 2 mineral water purifier that has copper and silver in it . The copper level was real high according to pool rep and she thought it was because ph was to low so she wants me to get ph up to 7.6, shock the pool and see what happens before using a stain removal. also they thought it couldn't be algae under pool liner, they said liner was to thick to bleed through. I live in the pittsburg pa. area, any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks Craig

craig, get some natural chemistry stain remover...and metal free.
follow the directions and then do a filter aid treatment ....
TanyaFox
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby TanyaFox » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 06:55

Hi guys!
Here is some guidelines on how to remove stain and they can give you the best quality product on how to remove it.
Catherine

Postby Catherine » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 13:31

Someone suggested to me to put a couple of Algicide pucks in the skimmer and I'll never have a problem with Algie, not that I did but I thought I'll do it anyway just as a precaution. Anyway a couple of days later I ended up with brown staining along the bottom edge of the pool. Tried Vit C from the pool company this morning and still there this afternoon. I did exactly what the bottle said to give it a light brush after putting it in so now waiting for the brown areas to dissappear. Is it too soon yet for it to be gone? I'm reading all these stories how how Vit C works right away, please help?
guyp

Postby guyp » Fri 02 Mar, 2012 09:34

If you have what looks like brown shadows in your pool and the vitamin C tabs do nothing and a chlorine tab just lightens it a bit, then I think Craig l's earlier post about mold or mildew underneath the liner is right on. I just got a new liner last year and never had a problem like this until this new liner was put in. I suspect that the thunderstorm that came in while they were installing this liner got water underneath the liner and promoted mold/mildew growth. I had never had this problem in the 30 years that I have owned this pool. Over that time, I have dealt with all sorts of pool problems such as stains and algae and nothing compares to this problem. I have been talking to the installers and told them that I'll take a “wait and see” approach as the problem was subsiding just as I was closing it up last year and doing a lot of shocking all last season. If the problem is still there when I open up it again this season I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a new liner as the brown shadows are hideous. The installers said they could give me a deal on a new liner and they could bleach the vermiculate before installing the new one to hopefully resolve any mold/mildew problems. We'll see.
John75

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 19:11

Hi bill! Have you read this guide about water filtration at www.indoorpoolguide.com/filtration-systems and and pool water chemicals www.indoorpoolguide.com/water-chemicals
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 00:36

Well, I recommend to use a soft sponge and algecide gel. Definitely it will work you will required to lower the ph with acis and hopefully it will clear the finish.
rah3616

Postby rah3616 » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 19:10

Has anyone out there experienced browning on their fiberglass steps? What do you do to get rid of this type of staining?

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”