purple stain

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
jeavington ponsonby smythe

purple stain

Postby jeavington ponsonby smythe » Wed 15 Jul, 2009 08:21

I too have a problem with the dreaded purple plague. Some one else has probably hit on the cause. I changed my usual chlorine granules for a reccomended type that has added "protection". To cure the problem, I've brushed the liner, "hoovered" the waste, backwashed and rinsed. I've also partially drained down, refilled with fresh water. Sometime in the next 24 hours I will do the same recovery operation. I shall also dipose of the chlorine and by the origional type that I have used for the last 20 years.

silent

purple stain

Postby silent » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 23:27

The cause of the purple stain is High CYA levels, stop using Chlorine with added chemicals (Stabilisers) and use Calcium based chlorine.
And remove water, dilution is only way to reduce CYA.
shaggy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground pool, 18x36 rectangular shape, sand filter, just purchased and installed new pump

purple stain

Postby shaggy » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:56

chem geek wrote:The pool guy probably switched to using more stabilized chlorine, either Trichor tabs/pucks or Dichlor powder/granular and also added copper to the pool. Your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level may have built up and along with copper in the pool (perhaps from a copper-based algaecide) resulted in copper cyanurate which is amethyst (purple) in color.

Have your pool tested for metals, including copper. A metal sequestrant can help. Also test for Cyanuric Acid (CYA) which you can test yourself with a Taylor K-2006 test kit or a TF100 test kit from tftestkits.net.

I have owned my pool for approx 10 years, this is the first time for purple dust on the liner and steps. I was told by my pool person, which by the way has opened my pool and closed my pool plus cleans and manages the chemicals that this is due to the harsh winter that we had. I was told that either I can continue to spend money on chemicals and try to remove or drain the pool halfway and have it refilled with fresh city water. After reading several of the comments and questions regarding this problem, I am not sure if winter had anything to do with the problem. I am now wondering if it had something to do with closing and the use of chemicals at that time plus the chlorine that was used last year, maybe a cheaper brand. Any thoughts
keli

purple stain

Postby keli » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 08:56

My pool is stained now. The dust settled into the walls and floor of my pool. I am hoping that the water is still safe. It doesn't come up in tests and my water is balanced. I tested for metals and nothing really comes up. I thing I will have to empy it next year and clean it before opening next year. Has anyone had any success getting rid of the stain after an extended period of time? Is it safe to swim this year?

purple stain

Postby Guest » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 17:18

I have seen this happen when too much acid is added to the pool at a time. When acid is added when pouring in as you walk instead of pouring it in columns about 4 feet apart. Make sure pool water is properly balanced. Then you brush purple residue off ALL surfaces (very time and energy consuming),vac pool, clean filter (acid wash if needed). Alway's lower ph by adding small amounts of acid at a time checking levels every 24 hrs until ideal levels are reached.
pool service tech 13 years

purple stain

Postby pool service tech 13 years » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 17:33

Take a pool water sample to pool supply store and have them test it. It never huirts to double check your pool service person's abilities to maintain proper chem balance. Bad ph, alkalinity levels are very corrosive to pool surfaces, pool light frames and heat exchangers if you have a heater. Proper chemical balance is the most important factor to avoid costly pool finish disasters!! A pole left in a pool or a bad winter does not cause this problem. Bad chemical balance and chemical adding procedures cause the metals in the pole or stainless steel handrails to pit and leach into water.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

purple stain

Postby rosalind » Sat 02 Jun, 2012 00:46

perrault wrote:Have had pool for 5 yrs. no problems until this year. opened pool and about had all chemicals in shape. when in one day had purple stain all over everything. local pool people in Ok. city don't seem to have any answers. help.

Brush the stains away once a day for two in sequence days. Wash the Filter. This will abstract the manganese waste and assist avoid the stain from returning quickly.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”