Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Fix

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
weebee

Postby weebee » Sat 09 May, 2009 22:01

I tried the R1 pot adjustment I turned it 1/4 turn CC it stopped the 91 alarm, I have had 3 of these units and they all have had cell problems. It would always happen after winter storage they would work all summer after winter no go.But it was cheaper to buy the whole unit than it was to buy just the cell.

Poolboy69

Postby Poolboy69 » Sun 24 May, 2009 10:23

What's the fix? My Intex keeps giving me the 91 (low salt/no salt) error code???
redfed90

Postby redfed90 » Mon 25 May, 2009 08:06

My 8110 has been terrific for several years now. Startin up this year I am getting the 91 code even though I know there is plenty of salt in the pool. I would be interested in the "fix".
Faman

Postby Faman » Thu 28 May, 2009 13:52

Man, what a crap this intex chlorine generator
also have this annoying code 91 problem...at my very first use, tonight
i put inside my pool 75 kg of salt, where the manual says 55 kg.
and i keep getting this code...
the led pass to the green then the cell unit seems to work for 1 minute, i can see the chlorine mist going inside the pool, so i think there's enough salt inside...then it sudenly stop...and beep

it seems that changing the system using the warranty, is no longer a seals of hope to answer the problem.
i will try the hour modification fix.
mladek

Postby mladek » Fri 29 May, 2009 21:27

This has been the most helpful site. I thought we were the only ones having trouble with our chlorinator from intex. Our problem is that the unit goes on for a few minutes after it's plugged in then it completely shuts off. We've had our unit for two years, so we are no longer under warranty. My husband called customer service and some lady said we had a two year warranty, so he faxed the information with receipt only to be told what we already knew-we are no longer under warranty. Anyway, I came across this site and I told my husband to start messing with it - he's an electrician- so I'm hoping he gets it to work. Thanks!
Xlav8r

Postby Xlav8r » Tue 02 Jun, 2009 01:27

Hey , the "CODE 91" fix was said a while back regarding resistors. pull off cover carefully, both the flow sensor and cell power cables exit the case making lifting the plastic case difficult but manageable. look for three adjustable resisters, one above the other. They are marked (or mine was) VR1, VR2,and VR3 on the circuit board. they were black and about the diameter of a pencil eraser with a small Philips (+) adjustable head. The head was locked with glue? but it can be scraped off. The original suggestion said to turn the VR1 resister a quarter turn CCW. This did not work for me but I added an additional quarter turn CCW (now half a turn CCW) and it is back working as it did originally. I will keep an eye on my salt content to keep at 3000ppm as suggested in manual.
JasonG

Postby JasonG » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:17

Have a low capacity pump and still want to use the Saltwater system? Rotate the flow sensor assembly (the larger pipe NOT the elbow with cord) about 20 or 30 degrees toward you (facing the LED display). The difference in gravity will allow a lower capacity pump to work. Keep the inside sensor clean or it may get stuck one day.

http://fdbnetwork.com/upload/836/image/ ... erator.jpg
ang

Postby ang » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 14:35

hi ,unit has been working fine to this year ,92 codes shows so we add more water then it then shows 91. starting to get fed up might go and by new one.
rachara

Postby rachara » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 13:38

Am on my 2nd 8110 chlorine generator, was getting the 91 code right at the end of the year last season and was keeping my fingers crossed starting up this season. Well.....it didn;t work, we get the code everytime we program it as soon as the green led goes on it will make chlorine for about 90 secs and then the alarm goes off.
Hubby turned the resistors as was previously mentioned had to open the thing back up two more times to turn it counter clockwise a little more.
Still waiting to see if the 3rd time is the trick.
homer666
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby homer666 » Sun 07 Jun, 2009 19:23

Hello all,
I was having the dreaded 91 code after starting my pool this year (year 2).
I tried turning the resistor but the glue was too penetrated in the plastic screw. The screw was stripping as I was turning the head.
So I had to try another solution.
I removed the small screw holding the power connector to the cell and inverted the polarity for 2 - 1 hour period between 2 days.
It now works like day 1. No more 91 alarm code.
I believe the flaw is the cleaning every 20 hours as stated in the manual. If you power down the device for any reason, the 20 hour timer gets reset to 0, hence no cleaning after 20 hours. So everyone who turns off the chlorinator should do a manual cleaning by reversing the polarity every 20 hour of use.
I will also do it before turning it off for the season end. Soaking the cell in vinegar provided minimal cleaning as advised in the manual.

Hope this helps since INTEX was NO HELP.

Homer
ClickPimpsta

Postby ClickPimpsta » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 17:01

91 errors mean you don't have enough salt. it's not enough to just add salt, though. you have to let it dissolve and leave your filter running so it'll circulate it and mix evenly in the water. I kept getting 91 errors too, in the beginning. This little generator has its quirks, but once you figure it out, it works like a champ. Add salt, and let your filter run a good 2 hours minimum, THEN turn on your 8110. I use mine on a 24'x52" intex agp in conjunction with a 2 HP swimming pool pump & 22" sand filter I got on eBay (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg">), and they work together wonderfully.
rachara

Postby rachara » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 09:44

clickpimpsta I have had my salt circulating for 2 days and I still get the code. My salt level is perfect when I check it with my strips. I have a 12X24X48 intex have had it for 4 years and this problem with the 91 code started last season and is now continuing. Hubby has tried everything we've read on this post to no avail.

HELP! anymore suggestions anyone??

Thanks!
ClickPimpsta

Postby ClickPimpsta » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:17

I had the EXACT same problem this season when I first powered it up. I added like 6-8 60lb bags of salt (talk about overkill) in the beginning and kept getting the 91 error. I removed the hoses and took a look inside, and lo and behold... there were HUGE chunks of salt (or calcium, not sure which) build-up on the metal plates. I took it to the carwash and blasted it all out (be careful not to break the flow detection switch). Hooked everything back up, and then the 92 error started (too much salt). I drained out about 1/4 of the pool and refilled, and it's been working since.

So take a look inside and make sure you don't have the same build-up I had on mine. That would prevent the unit from correctly reading the salt level in your water.
rudy

Postby rudy » Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:01

I have two 8110 generators... My problem was calcium build-up @ both ends of Titanium cell... I removed cell & cleaned per owners manual by soaking in vinigar... I used wood popcicle stick or thin plastic (NO metal, scrapes off coating) to help remove heavy deposits & between plates, garden hose spray with cone shaped nozzle (small hole at end) had enough pressure spray clean... Units work like new again (then I had to reduce pool salt which I added when 'low salt" 91 code first appeared, code 91 also = check cell).
Sirhandsome

Postby Sirhandsome » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 03:01

The 1/4 CCW turn seems to have done the trick for ME.
I complained 8 months after purchase, about the code 91, & Intex sent me an entire new 8110 unit.
So, being the pack-rat that I am, I stored the old one.
The replacement went code 91 on me (after two years in storage) so I tweeked the one in storage & so far so good.
You guys are GREAT!
I was ready to buy a new one (although I would have kept the other two).
Hasta luego y buena suerte !
:{ jmg

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”