SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
justclc

Postby justclc » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:00

Sorry, I forgot that part earlier :oops: I have a 5500 gal Intex inflatable

bj

Intex 8110 clorinator 91 problem

Postby bj » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 11:34

I have had the same 91 problem with two Intex 8110 units. The first was under warranty and was replaced. The second unit started the 91 problem several months after putting it into service. As many of you have found, Intex told me I could not fix the problem and would have to buy an new unit or start using tablets again.
Well the unit would not perform anyway, so I proceeded to find out what I could do to fix it. It does take some technical ability but I think now people can do the following. This is not a guaranteed fix, but it did work for mine.

If you attempt this, I am not responsible for any damage, and it will void any warranty from Intex.

CAUTION: Unplug the unit while the dome is removed. There is HIGH VOLTAGE present when it is plugged in.

I removed the cover from the control unit. There are wires connected to the cover, so be careful not to pull them loose. There is a printed circuit board mounted to the base of the unit. On this PC board are three adjustable resistors that are sealed with RTV. I carefully removed the RTV from the first resistor “RV1” and turned it counterclockwise. When turning the resistor use a small screwdriver and only move it a slight amount “CCW”. This seems to have taken care of the 91 problem for now. I have not tested this for a long term as yet, but the machine did not go into alarm after several hours. I will see if it last for the summer.

This will put the unit out of calibration for the 91 alarm, so check you chlorine and salt levels and along with other chemicals and adjust them as needed.

I hope this helps someone. I had no results from Intex when requesting customer assistance.

Postby Guest » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 13:10

I have the same Code Error. I had my water tested at the local pool store and my chemicals are in balance, calcium isn't too high, plenty of salt.

I did everything recommended in the maintenance section of the book (even though the titanium plates were clean).

I called Intex and they are sending me out a replacement.

Also, they have a ladder recall for pools 42" and above bought between 1/2006 and 2/2007. They are sending a replacement for that as well.

I printed out this "fix" and will keep it in the owner's manual just in case.

The CSR couldn't give me any preventative maintenance recommendations. I'm going to try to inspect and hose it out weekly, and have my water tested before I hook up the replacement.

When it works, its great. My water is crystal clear, even in the GA heat.
greg

Postby greg » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 19:01

are they recalling this unit ?
Susan

8110 piece of crap

Postby Susan » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 19:13

I bought this 6 weeks ago and it hasn't worked yet. keep getting low salt. Sure would like a fix.
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

intex 8110 fix

Postby edjones72 » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 18:25

Has anyone received the fix for the "91" trouble code from pool hacker. I'm having the same problem that I can not fix. If anyone has figured a way to bypass all the codes that stop chlorination that would be fine, also. Any help would be much appreciated. I would hate to go buy another unit and have the same problem. Mine is just out of warranty and I do not want to buy another one and get only 14 months of use from it. Thanks!! :?
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

8110 intex fix

Postby edjones72 » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 19:42

I have been battling the "91" demon for a couple of weeks without solution. I have checked and double checked my salt level, cleaned my plates, and tested the plates with a battery charger. I decided today to bypass the onboard controls and make it work by just plugging it in and I think I succeeded. I tried adjusting the resistor as mentioned in a previous post without benefit. When I pulled the cover off the control housing there are four screw connections on the left side of the circuit board. With my Fluke meter I determined two screws to be the entry point to the printed circuit of approx. 42-44 volts from the transformer, capacitor, and rectifier. The other two are easy to trace to the cell plug to power the plates. After verifying polarity, I moved the in coming 42-44 volts to the same screws with the leads going out to the cell. I am currenty generating chlorine. I do not know what this will do long term but I had nothing to loose. Tomorrow I will go in search of a good outdoor GFI timer to control the unit. This is a simple change that is also easy to undo. Also, I noticed the plug to the cell will fit both ways. That makes cleaning the cell a simple plug flip and a little run time. This thing is simply over engineered for what it does, I feel. They could leave out the salt detecting circuit and just go with a timer and an overload breaker. I can test my own salt.
loupee

reading of 91

Postby loupee » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 06:06

Hi, please please post the fix to the reading of low salt code 91.

Thanks
kenwood

code 91

Postby kenwood » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 20:49

Chalk up another frustrated 8110 generator with the dreaded 91 low salt error code. I have adjusted the VR1 resistor as mentioned and tried the recommended vinegar soak from Intex. I spoke to a rep yesterday who seemed incapable of understanding that their is a design problem with this model. Mine is about 15 months old and I have to keep shutting it off and resetting only to have it error 91 about an hour later. Any ideas what a consumer can do to get them to repsond correctly like a recall on this unit.
Frustrated pool user.
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

intex 8110

Postby edjones72 » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 20:26

Has anyone purchased an 8110 recently? I was just curious if newer ones have the same issues. Have any improvements been made? Mine is dated early 2006. The modification I made is still generating chlorine but I have to use an external timer. I would possibly buy a new one if they had actually made updates. Thanks!!
Deb121
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Deb121 » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 17:28

We just got an 8110 as a replacement for the newer model 6110 that is suppose to be the 2007 unit. The 6110 was a hassel and I had to babysit it to get it to work any. We never could it it to properly work so Intex replaced it. Since they were out of the 6110 they sent us the 8110. So far its worked. I'm very leary needless to say after reading these posts. I hope I'm not going to have the same problem with the error 91. I surely will hollar at Intex if I do.
kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 17:30

To edjones72,
I am not an electrical person can you tell me which 2 wires go the others that you mentioned. There is a black and white going to the cell, then there is a red and black from the incoming voltage. Which one goes to the white and which one goes to the black of the cell connectors. Please reply asap as I am not generating any chlorine for a week now. Thank you !
kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 17:48

Another posting said the transformer was determined to be bad, I would like to know how you made that determination...my transfomer seems very warm and I didn't even have it running today but it was plugged in.
Did Intex sell you another transformer and how much was it?
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

8110 fix

Postby edjones72 » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 20:04

To Kenwwod: imagine the screw contacts were numbered 1-4 starting at the bottom, You would move wire 4 to 3 and move wire 1 to 2. You will end up with two wires attached to contact 2 and 3. This bypasses the circuit board and allows the DC current to flow straight to the cell ALL THE TIME WHEN THE UNIT IS PLUGGED IN SO don't leave it on too long without waterflow. The unit will still come on and the LED will still lite up but there is no reason to turn the switch on. From my testing, the transformer is energized all the time when the unit is plugged in just out of the box so this is not a big change. You can check the cell to see it working by plugging it in and waiting 30-60 seconds then turn the filter pump on. You should see a lot of bubbles coming out of the return line into the pool briefly. You can also take the left side hose off while holding the 8110 up on end. With pool water over the cell, plug the unit in. You should see the bubbling and white chlorine being produced at the end of the cell and smell the chlorine. The other slight concern I had was the unit cannot auto clean the cell when wired this way. I found the plug on the cell can fit on both ways so I reverse it occasionally. I have not tried to figure out if one polarity produces more chlorine in comparison to the other. To understand the concept behind the 8110, you can make chlorine with a 9V battery, 2 old spoons, 2 pieces of wire, a drinking glass, and some salt water. It's pretty cool! Let me know if you have any more questions. Make sure it's unplugged before rewiring. It's DC but it can still hurt you.
kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:50

Thank you edjones for replying, I originally tried that connection but it tripped my GFI outlet it was plugged into so I figured that was wrong. Then I very temporarily tried it the opposite way and it didn't trip the GFI but now my unit is completely dead. Nothing at all works, I even tried to put everything back to original positions and the unit is still dead. I checked the voltage coming out of the x-former to the white and black wires on the rectifier stack but I get nothing where before I was getting something. I'm stuck trying to decide whether to invest in another one with the suspicions it might end up failing again in 15 months like mine or buying another make. I saw a unit called Chlorease that just hangs in the pool but has no high/low salt detectors on it. I prefer the Intex version which does not hang in the pool but now I don't know what to do.
Thank you for your reply and if you have any other suggestions how I can revive mine I would appreciate it. Thanks again
I'm checking everyday as my pool is dying a slow death

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”