Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Fix

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .

Postby Guest » Mon 27 Jun, 2011 18:20

I have one that I have set and I don't get a green light. It remains orange... it is no longer beeping codes at me but I'm not sure if it's doing what it is supposed to be doing. any ideas.

phxerik

Postby phxerik » Thu 30 Jun, 2011 23:06

8110 temperature wrote:I think i may have a good explanation to the 91 or 92 codes. The 8110 measures the salt concentration through the conductivity of the salted water. And obviously, the conductivity of salted water - as any other solution or solid - is linked to the temperature of the solution or the material. As a result, the same salted water will feature a lower conductivity at 15C than at 25C. For reference, a salted water is twice more conductive at 37C than at 5C!

I have not seen anything about this from Intex or in any other place. your thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing. I have a code 91 that activates after a minute or two after it starts running. So far I started testing parts of it.
First I tested the water coming out to see if it is making Chlorine for the minute or two that it was running. It indeed was making Chlorine.
Next I unplugged the electrolytic cell to see what it would do for codes. Again it gave me a code 91. So I plugged that connector back in and unplugged the connector to the copper electrodes. And Success. I ran for over an hour with no error codes and I made some Chlorine. After it ran the short cycle I went out and saw that is came up with an error code of 91 again. Bummer. Anyways, I thought I would do some readings of voltage and such on the leads going to each device. I got 13.5v on my electrolytic cell and on my copper electrodes I got 0.
So thinking it through a little I'm now thinking all the copper electrodes are there purely to test the amount of resistance there is in the water. Which is where "8110 temp" is going with this. Any who's to make this long winded message come to an end. Is there anyone out there with a working unit, with a pool that is in perfect shape (as far as the water is concerned), and that has a good meter that is willing to unplug the copper electrodes and measure the resistance between the two poles. I would like to see if I can substitute a resister in place of the copper electrodes.
At this point I have only owned this thing for 10 months and already have a flow switch that went out and now a code 91 issue.
Why didn't I return it and get parts under warranty you ask. Well living in Arizona receipts that see the heat tend to erase the writing on them. So they refuse to give me the parts under warranty. Sweet. Intex is a horrible company when it comes to customer service and satisfaction.
Thanks for all the information given thus far on this thread. All great help..
jccheif

Postby jccheif » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 12:37

After reading every single post on this code 91 issue I tried a few of the solutions that were offered. After making chlorine with a 12 volt battery I decided to take a slightly different approach. I simply disconnected all wires from the screw terminal and connected the cell directly to the transformer. After putting it back together I tested the voltage at the two pin connector that slides over the cell pins. I was getting 24.5 volts. I am making chlorine and all seems well.

Question for you pool tech people; Can I just leave the thing on 24/7? It does not use that much energy and would probably help to keep the pump running and keep the water filtered better. Wold this make too much chlorine?

If needed I will instal a timer and be happy.

Thanks again for all the help.
flyboy9503

Postby flyboy9503 » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 11:32

just hookup a 12 volt battery and bypass the transformer
Philo

Postby Philo » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 12:41

jccheif wrote:Question for you pool tech people; Can I just leave the thing on 24/7? It does not use that much energy and would probably help to keep the pump running and keep the water filtered better. Wold this make too much chlorine?

If needed I will instal a timer and be happy.

Thanks again for all the help.

Depending on your pool size, this will most probably raise the chlorine level way too high. Refer to you owner manual for the duration you should program according to your pool size (water volume in fact). You could then use a regular timer to control your modified chlorine generator to have it work only for this specific duration per day.

Note that if the chlorine generator keeps working while your pump goes off (off water flow stops for any reason), hydrogen will accumulate in the cell. Hydrogen + electrical current would probably mean a good nice explosion, and if your swimming pool is a ground one, your pool empying through the hole...

Do it at your own risks.

This is why the unit has a protection system that ensure there is water flow at all time when the cell is working.

OTOH, I'm really glad I found this site. As recommended, I will clean my cell, even if I don't see any deposit, then trying the resistor adjustment. I'll first have to dump water and bring some fresh water in to lower the salt level that is most probably way too high...
Philo

Postby Philo » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 22:37

After three seasons with no issues with the 8110 model, I've had the code 91 for a few days. I've added more salt than I should have and it still won't work.

Today I've followed the recommendation to reverse the electrolytic cell connector (to reverse polarity) and it worked.
bdhurt

Postby bdhurt » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 13:07

I have an intex saltwater system. One morning upon inspection, the electrolytic cell was charred and burned and I kept getting the low salt error. I called intex and they approved my warranty claim and told me I would receive an email when the part shipped. A week later I had not received and email so I called intex. The part is "out of stock" and they had no idea when it would be in. They weren't planning to notify me of this. I wonder if I try to buy one, if they will have them then.
jryan

Postby jryan » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 13:15

i do not see the little black resisotrs that you were talking about to adjust. mine is brand new and the low salt keeps coming on no matter how much salt is added. i have done everything i know to do and found this site but i cant figure it out. help please!!
jryan

8110 intex fix

Postby jryan » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 16:22

edjones72 wrote:I have been battling the "91" demon for a couple of weeks without solution. I have checked and double checked my salt level, cleaned my plates, and tested the plates with a battery charger. I decided today to bypass the onboard controls and make it work by just plugging it in and I think I succeeded. I tried adjusting the resistor as mentioned in a previous post without benefit. When I pulled the cover off the control housing there are four screw connections on the left side of the circuit board. With my Fluke meter I determined two screws to be the entry point to the printed circuit of approx. 42-44 volts from the transformer, capacitor, and rectifier. The other two are easy to trace to the cell plug to power the plates. After verifying polarity, I moved the in coming 42-44 volts to the same screws with the leads going out to the cell. I am currenty generating chlorine. I do not know what this will do long term but I had nothing to loose. Tomorrow I will go in search of a good outdoor GFI timer to control the unit. This is a simple change that is also easy to undo. Also, I noticed the plug to the cell will fit both ways. That makes cleaning the cell a simple plug flip and a little run time. This thing is simply over engineered for what it does, I feel. They could leave out the salt detecting circuit and just go with a timer and an overload breaker. I can test my own salt.

which wires did you move? color? were they te top ones or bottoms ones??
jryan

Postby jryan » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 16:45

has anyone eve used the chlor ease system? is it better or worse han intex?
EKLudwig1

Postby EKLudwig1 » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 14:02

After reading the responses and experiencing the exact same problems after only a month and a half of use, I decided to dig deeper into the low salt problem everyone is experiencing. I pulled the entire unit out so I could get a better look at the components. Everybody seems to be focusing on the copper electrode which is the removable part that has two large copper bars. I discovered that isn't the problem at all. There are three thin metal plates about 5 inches long mounted a few millimeters from each other permanently inside the plastic cylinder. I also noticed a build up in between these plates and completely across the energizing terminals. I followed the troubleshooting guide previously and filled the cylinder with vinegar for about an hour. This time I did it again with the unit up on a workbench so I could see everything better. The first problem I noticed is that when I filled it up, there were air bubbles so the vinegar was not reaching some crucial places. I stood the unit on end (the flow sensor end) until the air bubbles worked their way to the top. Then I let the bubbles out and topped it off with vinegar. I could see the vinegar going to work as tiny gas bubbles were being released. The second problem I noticed was that it took a lot longer than an hour to remove all the build up that was shorting out the plates. About four hours later, the bubbles stopped and the plates and terminals were clean. I flushed the system out with fresh water, reinstalled it and everything is working fine. A couple notes, don't screw the electrode flange back on because the gas bubbles need someplace to go. Also, I jacked the electrode end of the cylinder up about 45 degrees to keep everything crucial submerged in vinegar. Make sure and use white distilled vinegar. Good luck to all of you. I hope this solves your problem.
dedison

Postby dedison » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 19:21

I,ve been reading the posts, I too have a code 91 flashing alot,driving me nuts as the water is very salty now! The transtormer does feel quite hot. Where would I order a new one?? It sometimes works better if I do 1 hour at a time, not that handy to do that though, any suggestions??
sirlance15

Postby sirlance15 » Wed 03 Aug, 2011 16:11

Hi all, new to this forum and would just like to agree with EkLudwig1's post, I also discoverd the problem to be the salt build up between the plates and around the terminals, I use kettle descaler to soak mine(works much better than vinegar) and also clean between the plates with a long thin knife this seems to solve the problem for a month or so not a permant fix but at least it stops the dreaded '91' code for a while.
texter

Postby texter » Thu 06 Oct, 2011 00:11

Code 90 low flow error. Finally found what the problem was on my 8110. Would turn on system and approx 30 seconds later 90 error code would appear. Traced it to the connection on the flow switch connector. Took some small needle nose pliers and carefully squeezed the female metal connections inside the rubber cord connector on the cable side so they would make a tighter fit. I was able to get the pliers in between the rubber socket and the metal crimp connector to avoid possible damage to the rubber seal. So far so good. Hope this helps someone.
kp

Postby kp » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 09:52

8110 temperature wrote:I think i may have a good explanation to the 91 or 92 codes. The 8110 measures the salt concentration through the conductivity of the salted water. And obviously, the conductivity of salted water - as any other solution or solid - is linked to the temperature of the solution or the material. As a result, the same salted water will feature a lower conductivity at 15C than at 25C. For reference, a salted water is twice more conductive at 37C than at 5C!

I have not seen anything about this from Intex or in any other place. your thoughts?

I have to agree with this - ours only pulls the 91 error when the weather turns colder - Nov thru Mar or so.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”