SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Goldline "Aqua-Rite" salt chlorinator problems

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:44

loveaz wrote:So they said because I got a free replacement before the 3 year mark that that replacement is not considered new but they still go from the original purchase date

So on my 2nd cell I still have to use the purchase date that was now 5 years ago.

Thats how they do it.

I am noticing I have a T-15 cell and I do not have a 40000 gallon pool.. no way..

The T-CELL 15 is good for "up to" 40,000 gallon pools. If you use the cell for pools much less than that, the cell, which is rated to 10,000 active hours will last much longer as it will now not need to run as often as a cell designed and placed in a pool and working to its limit. You can always over deliver.

loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 19:27

Thanks So much

Have you heard of a way to get them to replace a cell for free again or a 2nd time if it does not last even 3 years? Its seems like if they are going to go back that often then their warranty is bogus after the 1st replacement and the know this and that Warranty is just now a big money pit. I mean if it was a cell for every 5 years that would be different but its every 2 to 3...

and for some people more often it seems
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 19:33

loveaz wrote:Thanks So much

Have you heard of a way to get them to replace a cell for free again or a 2nd time if it does not last even 3 years? Its seems like if they are going to go back that often then their warranty is bogus after the 1st replacement and the know this and that Warranty is just now a big money pit. I mean if it was a cell for every 5 years that would be different but its every 2 to 3...

and for some people more often it seems

This whole situation with your cell failure seems strange. How many gallons is your pool, what type and size filter do you have, also, what intervals do you clean your filter? Also, when you do clean your filter, is it usually extremely dirty, with quite a bit of large debris trapped in the filters? It sounds like something is entering the cell causing premature failure. Those cells usually last a very long time!

Hayward usually will only replace the parts until the end of the original warranty. Sometimes, manufacturers will give you an extra year from the last replacement date if the original warranty is about to expire.
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 19:44

Darn I wrote a reply and then hit save instead of submit and when I go back it s gone.

Longer story short

I treat the system well and the cell well and keep up on the water chemistry and have no big problems with debris and the water is near always clear and blue and no algae problems etc..

Its a pretty open and simple plan and i have a navigator cleaner I run sometimes. Sometimes I clean it myself.

I run the pump in the summer 10 to 12 hours and in the winter .. depends in AZ it can stay pretty hot still and in the colder months 4 to 6 and hotter winter months 8 hours ... I pay attention to what it needs.

So what is weird about my situation.?

I would like to know why the cell went back again and this time so fast.

I clean it with water acid solution about 1 time every month or every other month depending on how it looks. It does not have massive build up and I let it sit in the solution about 10 minutes and the hose it out.
That usually works and once in awhile I have to do it a second time.

But I do not do anything unusual and I do not have a dirty or filled with debris pool at all. No big trees or problems and no algae and its looks really nice most all the time....

: )

But this time it was working a couple weeks ago and then I just noticed that the chlorine was not registering when I used my strips to test. I ran it for 24 hours for two days and still nothing. So. I went and tests it because I had to rule out the board and as you know I did have that problem with the board as well. But the cell failed fully.....

So they are ordering me one..
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 18:27

loveaz wrote:Darn I wrote a reply and then hit save instead of submit and when I go back it s gone.

Longer story short

I treat the system well and the cell well and keep up on the water chemistry and have no big problems with debris and the water is near always clear and blue and no algae problems etc..

Its a pretty open and simple plan and i have a navigator cleaner I run sometimes. Sometimes I clean it myself.

I run the pump in the summer 10 to 12 hours and in the winter .. depends in AZ it can stay pretty hot still and in the colder months 4 to 6 and hotter winter months 8 hours ... I pay attention to what it needs.

So what is weird about my situation.?

I would like to know why the cell went back again and this time so fast.

I clean it with water acid solution about 1 time every month or every other month depending on how it looks. It does not have massive build up and I let it sit in the solution about 10 minutes and the hose it out.
That usually works and once in awhile I have to do it a second time.

But I do not do anything unusual and I do not have a dirty or filled with debris pool at all. No big trees or problems and no algae and its looks really nice most all the time....

: )

But this time it was working a couple weeks ago and then I just noticed that the chlorine was not registering when I used my strips to test. I ran it for 24 hours for two days and still nothing. So. I went and tests it because I had to rule out the board and as you know I did have that problem with the board as well. But the cell failed fully.....

So they are ordering me one..

It's just strange that this will be your third cell in a 5 year period. I usually hear of replacement cells around every 4 years, sometimes even more!
talktoheff

I'm having issues too....

Postby talktoheff » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 21:15

Dorigurl wrote:My Aqua-Rite cell is about 3.5 years old and it's been great!!

But this year when I went to start up my pool, it's been acting odd.

First it kept flashing the salt light and saying it was at 2600...so I added a little big of salt since 2600 is on the low end of the recommended levels.

Well, then it started flashing "inspect cell" but I JUST took my cell off and cleaned it as I do before I start up my pool every year. And then I check it every 3 months becuase we have harder water here...

So I go check on it today and now it's just flashing "no flow" even though the pool pumps have been running for over an hour...

I've done a little reading online and I had one pool guy tell me over the phone that he felt the sensor was out on the Aqua-Rite system and that it could be replaced for about $200.....

Any thoughts anyone? I'd much rather spend $200 than $500 on a whole new cell!

Also, I'm wondering how hard could it be to change this sensor? I can change the heating element in a dryer...surely I can handle this!!

I had the same problem I believe and called Goldline and they went through the diagnostics on the panel and said the cell is bad. It is 2 years old and they have a 3 year warranty and will replace foor free.
MAGUIRE65
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 9,000 GAL BARRIER REEF FIBERGLASS. SALT SYSTEM.

Postby MAGUIRE65 » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 13:23

Like you I too am having trouble with my chlorinators. One day they both were fine. noticed the pool was getting a little cloudy, checked the chlorinator and no lights on either one. Manual said there is a re-settable fuse. I cannot find the fuse anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where the fuse is??? Zodiac LM3 saltwater chlorinator. Only three years old. Please help!!

Maguire65
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 14:52

MAGUIRE65 wrote:Like you I too am having trouble with my chlorinators. One day they both were fine. noticed the pool was getting a little cloudy, checked the chlorinator and no lights on either one. Manual said there is a re-settable fuse. I cannot find the fuse anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where the fuse is??? Zodiac LM3 saltwater chlorinator. Only three years old. Please help!!

Maguire65

If your lights are off on the Goldline Aqua Rite, below are the steps to re-set, or fix the issue:

Have you checked the circuit breaker the salt system is connected to make sure it hasn't tripped?

If you do not have an automation system, and the panel is manufactured prior to 2004, the fuse is located on the bottom of the panel. You twist the fuse cover 1/4 turn to remove. If blown, you can easily replace it with a 20 amp slo-blo fuse from your local home improvement store.

If this does not fix the issue, feel free to contact us so we can get an answer from our Hayward rep. for you!
James Watson

Postby James Watson » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 23:11

Resetting the Fuse
Turn off all power to the Clearwater power pack. The resettable fuse is located above the powercord on the bottom rear of the LM3 unit. If the fuse is blown (popped with white area exposed), push to reset. Restore power to unit. http://www.clearwater-usa.com/pdf/LM3%2 ... Manual.pdf

Replacing the Fuse:
Switch off and disconnect the Zodiac LM3 from the mains power. An on board mains fuse is located in the bottom rear of the Zodiac LM3 next to the power cord. Check and if necessary replace with a 2 Amp 5x20mm slow blow fuse. Reconnect the Zodiac LM3 to mains power and switch on. If the fuse continues to blow this indicates a serious fault, switch off the power, disconnect the Zodiac LM3 and contact Zodiac
Group Australia or a Zodiac service centre for further advice.
http://www.zodiac.com.au/media/25135/zo ... manual.pdf
James Watson

Postby James Watson » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 23:16

swimnsaveusa, MAGUIRE65 does not have a Hayward chlorinator. MAGUIRE65 has a Zodiac LM3 saltwater chlorinator.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 17 Oct, 2010 03:53

James Watson wrote:swimnsaveusa, MAGUIRE65 does not have a Hayward chlorinator. MAGUIRE65 has a Zodiac LM3 saltwater chlorinator.

James Watson: Good catch! Didn't notice that part. The post was in the "Goldline "Aqua-Rite" salt chlorinator problems" thread so I figured that's what it was referring to. Thank you for clarifying with the correction. Maybe that will help someone else in the future that does need to reset a Goldline unit, however :thumbup:
dorlando

Postby dorlando » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 19:42

I have a turbo cell t 15, 4 years old and the pool is 15k gallons. My cell starts up and after a minute the display reads "HI" and the high salt light stays on. When going through the diagnostics it reads as though it is not generating chlorine. Had water tested 2 weeks ago and was perfect, getting algae now. I do clean the cell out and I had the cell tested at two stores.

Is it possible the sensor is bad in the cell or could it be a bad board? Is it definitely not the flow switch? If the cell is bad I'd like to get the T 9 but I think I'll have to also upgrade my board since it is older.

Any thoughts would be apprecaited, trying to figure out the problem.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 19:47

dorlando wrote:I have a turbo cell t 15, 4 years old and the pool is 15k gallons. My cell starts up and after a minute the display reads "HI" and the high salt light stays on. When going through the diagnostics it reads as though it is not generating chlorine. Had water tested 2 weeks ago and was perfect, getting algae now. I do clean the cell out and I had the cell tested at two stores.

Is it possible the sensor is bad in the cell or could it be a bad board? Is it definitely not the flow switch? If the cell is bad I'd like to get the T 9 but I think I'll have to also upgrade my board since it is older.

Any thoughts would be apprecaited, trying to figure out the problem.

Sounds like the sensor is the issue. Flow switch is fine, as the cell wouldn't produce chlorine if it sensed "no" flow. You are correct, unless you have the new re-vision, you would have to upgrade the control panel in order to use a T-Cell 9 or 3. The T-Cell 15 will work regardless as to what software version you have. Remember, the bigger the cell is exceeding the requirement, the more cell life you will get as it will not have to "run" as often to keep chlorine levels in range.
dorlando

Postby dorlando » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 19:56

Thanks. I read somewhere that you can replace the sensor for like $20, is that true?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 22 Oct, 2010 20:41

dorlando wrote:Thanks. I read somewhere that you can replace the sensor for like $20, is that true?

It may be possible to get the components at a radio shack or similar store as i've heard it being done, however I have no knowledge of how to do this or any "factory" replacement parts for the cell itself. I believe I read your cell is over 4 years old. It may be best if you just keep the cell the way it is as you say it still produces chlorine (manually testing for salt) until the cell itself has completely died as you would be spending a great amount of time "fixing" a sensor when the entire cell's life expectancy isn't much greater.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”