Goldline "Aqua-Rite" salt chlorinator problems

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Larry6667

Flow switch

Postby Larry6667 » Sun 30 Mar, 2008 09:56

A new cell is around 500, but the flow switch should be less than 200. I believe we sell them for about half that i think. Check around the internet. Ebay. You should be able to get the entire cell on ebay for about 400. No warrenty of course. But it is all easy as hell to replace, just watch the arrows on the flow switch...

jl

Problems since the beginning

Postby jl » Wed 21 May, 2008 14:00

This will be our second summer with the pool and that system and it has been nothing but problems since the beginning. It seems that our start up company put too much salt in. At that time the system read about 4700 but still produced and never read HI Salt. We have taken water out a couple of times and the level did come down. It now reads 4400. I took the water in to be tested and they told me that the level was actually around 3700. We are planning on getting one of those thermometer things that the stores use to test the salt becasue of the inaccurate reading. Anyway, after all this our syatem is now reading HI Salt and it is not generating. We clean the cell regularly and a matter of fact we just cleaned it before it started doing this. on another note it seems that we have to superclorinate a lot lately because when we test it there is no chlorine in the pool. Can anyone give me some insite as to what may be going on?
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Wed 21 May, 2008 14:21

have you tried calling Goldline and asking for help? That's the first thing i would do.

Postby Guest » Wed 21 May, 2008 16:02

My original T-15 cell was installed in Aug 2002 and died Sept 2006. The unit reported low salt no matter how much salt I dumped into the pool. The reading dropped about 100 a week. I got the manufacturer to send me a replacement (~$300) in Nov 2006 and now it crapped out too. Similar failure symptom in that salt level reading drops on a week by week. Now it's dead. This one is a little different in that there is a rusty leak all around the outside of cell. Just wondered if anyone seeing this.

In any case, can someone please post on how to replace the sensor? Where is it? part number? etc.

Postby Guest » Fri 30 May, 2008 13:58

Update: I took my rusty T15 replacement apart and sure enough, the wires were rusted and broken off. I read on other pool forums that many people are noticing their "replacement" units are running very hot.

I think this is an Aquarite T15 cell mfg defect. It got so hot, it melted the black hard silicone which in turns melted the wires. If you have a T15 cell, check this out. If it's running hot, the life expectancy will be reduced significantly. At $400 to $600 a pop for 18 to 24 months, that's quite expensive.

I noticed this issue with the big rain that leaked in and thus causing the rusty liquid to come out. Then in 2 to 4 wks, the unit was dead.

I just removed the burnt gunk last night and rewired the electrical connections. Black wires to the outside posts and the 2 white wires to the inside/middle post. I hope this is correct and that it works.
chandlerAZ

goldline cell replaced every year for 3 years

Postby chandlerAZ » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 22:59

I have a 3 yr old pool in Arizona. I have had to replace the cell every yr. Now the builder tells me the warrenty is over. I took the cell to Lesile pools and they checked it and said it is bad. since it was checked in the store by filling it with room temp salt water temp was not an issue. When leslie test the pool water for salt it is 2500ppm. the unit at the pool will not read above 1800ppm. Whats with these units. one yr of life on a $ 500 cell. I could by enough clorine for 5 yrs. any ideas
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:11

Replace a unit :)
How many hours a day do you run your unit?
brookiebrooke

not producing chlorine

Postby brookiebrooke » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 22:10

My pool was badly stained (iron) so I bought some stain remover that worked great. The only problem was you had to drop the chlorine down to about zero in order for the stain remover to work, which I did on Friday. The pump had to run 24 hours with the aqua rite OFF in order for the stain remover to work.

I switched the chlorinator back on Saturday evening. It's now Tuesday evening, and despite having run the chlorinator almost non-stop for 72 hours, there is virtually no chlorine in the pool at all. The salt reading isn't going down either, so I can tell that the chlorinator isn't using the salt to make chlorine.

I read a couple online posts that said if your chlorine gets too low it can help to shock it to "stimulate" chlorine production. So I threw 2 bags of super-shock in today. That didn't help.

So I removed the cell and saw that there was quite a bit of while build-up on the cell. I let it soak in the suggested muriatic acid/water bath for a few minutes then reinstalled. I plugged it back in and set it to "superchlorinate" but after 3 hours, it appears that it is still not making chlorine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the chlorinator to NOT produce chlorine and what I can do to fix it? There is plenty of stabilizer and salt in the pool.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 04:33

Is it actually not producing or your FC doesn't go up?
You might have an algae outbreak due to no chlorine for some time, in which case you need to shock up to 40% of your CYA level. So if your CYA is 40 you need 16 ppm of FC for some time to kill the algae.

Shocking best done with bleach
brookiebrooke

No Mor Problems

Postby brookiebrooke » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 23:54

I don't see any algae. The water and pool walls all look crystal clear. I had put 2 types of algaecide in the water after the cleaning was done.

Virtually no chlorine (FC or CC) at all is showing up on any test (2 different types of strips, plus the DPD and OTO tests).

I started wondering if one of the new products I had put in the pool after cleaning it was causing a problem. One of the products was a preventive algaecide called "No Mor Problems" by United Chemicals. This is what I found on their website:

"Your pool will go through a clean up period that will last from 1 day to 3-4 weeks. During the clean-up period you may expect a loss of chlorine residual. Don't panic! Just chlorinate continuously, DON'T SHOCK!"

So now I'm wondering (praying!) if what I've been seeing is just a result of this product and there isn't actually anything wrong with my SWCG. But it seems a bit crazy to me that they say the clean-up period is 1 day to 3-4 weeks! I can't believe that this crazy chlorine situation could last for that long. I think I might call the company tomorrow to find out if that's really true.

Has anyone else used this product and had a similar occurrence?
donewithautochlorinator

aquarite by goldline controls inc.,

Postby donewithautochlorinator » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 18:53

I have had 3 replacement cells in 4 years. Today was the final straw the complany goldmine controls inc. told me today the will send another without me paying for services folks to come to my home. this is still under warranty since the original device has never last more than 1 year. the replacement cost is $895. this will by a lot of chlorine ! I have had many issues reported on this blog...temputare sensor, incorrect salt readings etc....
T Dog

Salt Pool sounded like a good idea butt

Postby T Dog » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 15:35

I have had my salt pool for seven years now and it has been a pain in the you know what. I am going on my third salt cell and it is malfunctioning again.I called nature soft to get another cell sent to me and they convienietly changed their warranty from three years to one year. Now I have to pay around five hundred dollars to get my pool back up and running on salt. I have read all the postings on this site.The only one that gave me hope was the engineers analytical problem solving. I am going to try his idea. Oh by the way has anyone had this problem yet? My cool deck is de-laminating from the salt water.The spots that get splashed the most are the worst ie; by the steps and where the basketball hoop is.I have a chlorine floater right now and just might stick with it.I have to laugh to keep my sanity when I read that when the low salt indicator comes on people start adding salt to their pool.I did the same thing the first time and it just makes the problm worst.I had to drain mine because I had so much salt in it from the false reading.I wonder if the Better Business Bureau could help us consumers out with the Lemon Law.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:36

buy a quality system and you won't have problems
as far as adding salt goes - you should test your water before adding any chemicals to it
T Dog

salt systems

Postby T Dog » Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:25

Strannik-au wrote:buy a quality system and you won't have problems
as far as adding salt goes - you should test your water before adding any c micals to it
Do I really want to take the risk of spending 1,200 on a system? I thought I did have a quality system.You must sell them.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sat 30 Aug, 2008 19:11

Well obviously you didn't

Yes i do.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”