Goldline "Aqua-Rite" salt chlorinator problems

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Willtur

Postby Willtur » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 09:10

Thanks for the info. I will get the readings but most definitely appreciate the latter info cause I think it may help.
I found out I have a 7500 gallon pool and I think that the previous owner went big and it may think its a 20k and up pool so the calibration may need reset. Thanks again I will report back soon one way or another.

davidsos

Postby davidsos » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 09:20

I think my daughter card and or mother board are bad but it looks like the pool is still geting chlorine? I have no lights on the pannel but my pool still looks chystal clear??
Poolman59

Goldline

Postby Poolman59 » Tue 21 Sep, 2010 16:20

Eng wrote:I had problems with my cell too. It seems like every 2 years they go bad. I got tired of paying money to get it replaced. I am an engineer, so I started studying how they work. It seems that the root of the problem is the temperature sensor at the cell. Check the temperature by pressing the button next to the display. Use a thermometer in the pool to check the water temperature. Is it off by more that 5 degrees? If it is, then you salinity will be wrong and it will call for more salt. The cell will shut down automatically. To overcome this situation I open my cell and cut the two wires on the side of the cell (red and blue). These are the temperature sensor wires. I installed an 8.5 K ohms resistor between the two wires. This will give you a forever temperature of 86 degrees. After that, the cell started working properly. Since I have a fixed temperature now I used salinity strips to keep track of the salt. This worked for me. If you want to do it, go ahead at your own risk. Other that this, there is no other way around it. I heard from other people having the same problem.
You said that you used an 8.5 k ohm resistor, how many watts and where can you buy them ( radio shack...)?
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 17:12

Hi Please anyone with advice or troubleshooting.

My pool today showed No Powerlight and actually No lights at all on the Aqua Rite control panel. I check the breaker and such and seemed fine but I reset it anyway. Then the light that said No Flow came up because I had stopped the filter as well. After the No Flow light stopped (still no power light) Weird thing.. The Generating Green Light came on for like 10 seconds (still no power light or other lights on).

Then all went off.

All during this I checked and there was no readings for Salt but the other readings were there. So the numbers for Salt and Average Salt were Zero. The other numbers seemed all there.

But No lights again on the board at all. None!

I checked the chemistry and even though.. light the guy above.. the pool looks good.. There is no chlorine reading coming up on a tester strip.

The pool was not looking good after I left for a couple weeks and my son was home .. this was about 3 weeks ago. So I cleaned the cell really good and re set everything and it all was working ok. But still as it got cleaner I never got a chlorine reading. Also of course the reading of the amount of salt much lower than the actual amount in the pool but I was able to get it to generate and such .

UNTIL today.. Its all wacky.

Any help appreciated.

I am not even sure what the warranty is and I never used it and the system installed in the middle of 2006

I have had to get one new cell in that time and they replaced it for free.. So thats it.

Always have had trouble with salt readings on the unit compared to the real amount in the pool so I used the strips to keep it in check and always had to work hard to make sure it kept generating because it was always right on the borderline of the 2600 or highest 3200 ..

So anyway

The Lights off issue is my concern and when I trip the breaker it does the above things. I did it twice.

Werid

Please help

DEB
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 17:23

How old is this cell? Also, what software revision are you running on the base?
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 17:50

Hi

My system software is
R 1.40

My Cell is about 1 to 2 years old.

The Cell is giving the unit the Temp correctly and the Flow Sensor is working too.

I am not thinking it is the Cell.

The Fuse is fine.

I was reading and found this

"West, you are my hero! Just checked for the "black thing" and sure enough...it is cracked and it looks like burn marks around it! I am ordering replacement part from Digi-Key Corp., the part# is 570-1062-ND, for 2.42 each. I am ordering two! Thank you!!"

I Looked and I do see a bit of black around the connection area and on the board. It is not cracked but when I touched it it seems to make a crackling noise like the connection was brittle?

Do you think that could be it??

I do not have a soldering gun.. but I have no money to have someone fix this??

What do you think?

Thanks for the quick response.
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 17:52

PS I have this stuff called Wiring Glue and I have not used it yet as I bought it for a project that turned out not needing it. Anyone know about it. Your supposed to be able to use it and it conducts electricity and can be used instead of soldering.

I may be losing my house in the next six months and I do not want to dump a bunch of money into this and well not only do not want to I cant.. And though I want to keep up on the property because that is how I am..

THanks
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:18

SO. I soldered on a new limiter and its working!!
Lights on and working but no Chlorine.
I go down and test the cell so that Failed now.

Its one thing after another..

This is my 2nd one and I am now in year 5...

Too bad they do not cover your replacement Cell with a full warranty again.. :cry:
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:26

loveaz wrote:SO. I soldered on a new limiter and its working!!
Lights on and working but no Chlorine.
I go down and test the cell so that Failed now.

Its one thing after another..

This is my 2nd one and I am now in year 5...

Too bad they do not cover your replacement Cell with a full warranty again.. :cry:

Did you happen to purchase the salt cell with a 1 year, or a 3 year replacement warranty? Some pool stores try to sell the cell with a 1 year warranty as it doesn't cost them as much, and they still try to turn around and sell it for a similar price as the 3 year warranty!
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:39

So they said because I got a free replacement before the 3 year mark that that replacement is not considered new but they still go from the original purchase date

So on my 2nd cell I still have to use the purchase date that was now 5 years ago.

Thats how they do it.

I am noticing I have a T-15 cell and I do not have a 40000 gallon pool.. no way..
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 18:44

loveaz wrote:So they said because I got a free replacement before the 3 year mark that that replacement is not considered new but they still go from the original purchase date

So on my 2nd cell I still have to use the purchase date that was now 5 years ago.

Thats how they do it.

I am noticing I have a T-15 cell and I do not have a 40000 gallon pool.. no way..

The T-CELL 15 is good for "up to" 40,000 gallon pools. If you use the cell for pools much less than that, the cell, which is rated to 10,000 active hours will last much longer as it will now not need to run as often as a cell designed and placed in a pool and working to its limit. You can always over deliver.
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 19:27

Thanks So much

Have you heard of a way to get them to replace a cell for free again or a 2nd time if it does not last even 3 years? Its seems like if they are going to go back that often then their warranty is bogus after the 1st replacement and the know this and that Warranty is just now a big money pit. I mean if it was a cell for every 5 years that would be different but its every 2 to 3...

and for some people more often it seems
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 03 Oct, 2010 19:33

loveaz wrote:Thanks So much

Have you heard of a way to get them to replace a cell for free again or a 2nd time if it does not last even 3 years? Its seems like if they are going to go back that often then their warranty is bogus after the 1st replacement and the know this and that Warranty is just now a big money pit. I mean if it was a cell for every 5 years that would be different but its every 2 to 3...

and for some people more often it seems

This whole situation with your cell failure seems strange. How many gallons is your pool, what type and size filter do you have, also, what intervals do you clean your filter? Also, when you do clean your filter, is it usually extremely dirty, with quite a bit of large debris trapped in the filters? It sounds like something is entering the cell causing premature failure. Those cells usually last a very long time!

Hayward usually will only replace the parts until the end of the original warranty. Sometimes, manufacturers will give you an extra year from the last replacement date if the original warranty is about to expire.
loveaz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby loveaz » Mon 04 Oct, 2010 19:44

Darn I wrote a reply and then hit save instead of submit and when I go back it s gone.

Longer story short

I treat the system well and the cell well and keep up on the water chemistry and have no big problems with debris and the water is near always clear and blue and no algae problems etc..

Its a pretty open and simple plan and i have a navigator cleaner I run sometimes. Sometimes I clean it myself.

I run the pump in the summer 10 to 12 hours and in the winter .. depends in AZ it can stay pretty hot still and in the colder months 4 to 6 and hotter winter months 8 hours ... I pay attention to what it needs.

So what is weird about my situation.?

I would like to know why the cell went back again and this time so fast.

I clean it with water acid solution about 1 time every month or every other month depending on how it looks. It does not have massive build up and I let it sit in the solution about 10 minutes and the hose it out.
That usually works and once in awhile I have to do it a second time.

But I do not do anything unusual and I do not have a dirty or filled with debris pool at all. No big trees or problems and no algae and its looks really nice most all the time....

: )

But this time it was working a couple weeks ago and then I just noticed that the chlorine was not registering when I used my strips to test. I ran it for 24 hours for two days and still nothing. So. I went and tests it because I had to rule out the board and as you know I did have that problem with the board as well. But the cell failed fully.....

So they are ordering me one..
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 18:27

loveaz wrote:Darn I wrote a reply and then hit save instead of submit and when I go back it s gone.

Longer story short

I treat the system well and the cell well and keep up on the water chemistry and have no big problems with debris and the water is near always clear and blue and no algae problems etc..

Its a pretty open and simple plan and i have a navigator cleaner I run sometimes. Sometimes I clean it myself.

I run the pump in the summer 10 to 12 hours and in the winter .. depends in AZ it can stay pretty hot still and in the colder months 4 to 6 and hotter winter months 8 hours ... I pay attention to what it needs.

So what is weird about my situation.?

I would like to know why the cell went back again and this time so fast.

I clean it with water acid solution about 1 time every month or every other month depending on how it looks. It does not have massive build up and I let it sit in the solution about 10 minutes and the hose it out.
That usually works and once in awhile I have to do it a second time.

But I do not do anything unusual and I do not have a dirty or filled with debris pool at all. No big trees or problems and no algae and its looks really nice most all the time....

: )

But this time it was working a couple weeks ago and then I just noticed that the chlorine was not registering when I used my strips to test. I ran it for 24 hours for two days and still nothing. So. I went and tests it because I had to rule out the board and as you know I did have that problem with the board as well. But the cell failed fully.....

So they are ordering me one..

It's just strange that this will be your third cell in a 5 year period. I usually hear of replacement cells around every 4 years, sometimes even more!

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”