Goldline "Aqua-Rite" salt chlorinator problems

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Poman

Postby Poman » Mon 08 Aug, 2011 19:07

kcooper1 wrote:We have a goldilne chlorinator. The control box lights up but there is no flow to the cell and the pool does not have chlorine. I read that the "board" can have issues. We removed the cover and see a dark spot appearing the something has burned out. What types of repairs / costs are we looking at? I can find information on replacement cells but not the boards.

The "burn" spot is a relay for the cell. This referral is an easy 10 minute soldering fix. Review the web site and save yourself $600+.

http://www.nocellpower.com/letter.aspx

68mustangjim

Postby 68mustangjim » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 00:45

dumbwhiteguy wrote:My Cell has the Cell temperature short reading too. I have a better fix than the resistor. Take a sensor like the one that reads the water temperature and wire it to the red and blue wires. Then drill a hole in your PVC pipe and mount it just like the water sensor that is already there. Problem solved. I actually drilled a hole in the cover plate to run the wire through and silicone it with 100% silicone and it will be sealed. This way it will read the water temperature and it's not just rigged with a resistor. Part was $ 32.00 Saved me $ 500.00

What temp sensor did he use?

and or
The resistor rating or part number.
Raddirector
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32, vinyl, sand filter

Postby Raddirector » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:53

First off this is a great forum and has saved me time and money and I thank everyone for there input. The reason for my post. Last week i replaced my tcell 15 because Leslies tested and confirmed that it was bad after 4yrs on that cell. Before going bad I made the error of adding salt to my pool thinking it needed it and now I find my self with a reading of 3700 from the store. Not worried about that because i can correct this by draining and adding new water. My problem is that the new cell after installing is reading 4700ppm and obviously not generating. For me to get this down to 3400 would require me to drain serious amounts of water and the actual salt content of the pool would be critically low. I retested the new cell today at leslies to verify that it was not a bad out of box cell and it passed. I think i understand that +-500 reading is normal but my system is 1000 off. Also the instant reading goes from 6100 down to 4700 and settles. Any ideas? Pool water temp is hot at 89 because of the insane heat wave we have add across the midwest.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:46

Raddirector wrote:First off this is a great forum and has saved me time and money and I thank everyone for there input. The reason for my post. Last week i replaced my tcell 15 because Leslies tested and confirmed that it was bad after 4yrs on that cell. Before going bad I made the error of adding salt to my pool thinking it needed it and now I find my self with a reading of 3700 from the store. Not worried about that because i can correct this by draining and adding new water. My problem is that the new cell after installing is reading 4700ppm and obviously not generating. For me to get this down to 3400 would require me to drain serious amounts of water and the actual salt content of the pool would be critically low. I retested the new cell today at leslies to verify that it was not a bad out of box cell and it passed. I think i understand that +-500 reading is normal but my system is 1000 off. Also the instant reading goes from 6100 down to 4700 and settles. Any ideas? Pool water temp is hot at 89 because of the insane heat wave we have add across the midwest.

You're going to have to calculate for an adjusted reading. Water temperature over 75' F will affect how the cell, meter and strips read salt levels.
fish

Postby fish » Sat 20 Aug, 2011 13:22

It would help if we knew what $32.00 sensor he was talking about.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 22 Aug, 2011 19:57

fish wrote:It would help if we knew what $32.00 sensor he was talking about.

The sensor is likely not the issue with all cell failure's as if it were this simple, we would be carrying that part at all times. Just as everything else that breaks down, it's not always the same fix with all situations. It is always recommended to replace the cell when it quits working because when you start messing around with internal parts of an electrical system and something wasn't done completely correct, the chance remains that you will damage the power center which will severely outweigh the cost of replacing just the cell over an attempted fix, causing you to replace both!
Susn

Postby Susn » Fri 02 Sep, 2011 13:25

For those of you whose salt reading is not accurate on the chlorine generator, are all of your other tests in the acceptable range? Our generator salt readings were consistently low compared with our pool supply store readings, and too low for the generator to work. I was more interested in correcting salt than adding muriatic acid, etc. so I could get my chlorine up. Then I gave up and decided I needed to chlorinate by bottle instead of generator so we could use the pool. Several of my readings were off. As I corrected with acid, the salt reading on my chlorine generator started to go up. Also, it seems like the generator can't go from zero to appropriate chlorine. I needed to add bottled chlorine and then the generator kept it at the right level. This has been very frustrating.
hey_moe
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12x24x52 AGP,Saltwater

Postby hey_moe » Sun 04 Sep, 2011 06:42

I also have that problem...lol. It was showing 3100 and even when I ran the dia. test it also showed the same readings. After resetting everything same problem. After taking it to have it checked to two different compamies it was really 3800. You would think the cost of this product it should at least give a right reading.The reading of the volts and amp draw was right. At first I thought I had a bad cell, but lucky for me it wasn't. I am a HVAC Tech and we have to depend on our equiment or meters to give us the correct reading. In the case of this product you really can't depend on any of the reading to be right.
Susn wrote:For those of you whose salt reading is not accurate on the chlorine generator, are all of your other tests in the acceptable range? Our generator salt readings were consistently low compared with our pool supply store readings, and too low for the generator to work. I was more interested in correcting salt than adding muriatic acid, etc. so I could get my chlorine up. Then I gave up and decided I needed to chlorinate by bottle instead of generator so we could use the pool. Several of my readings were off. As I corrected with acid, the salt reading on my chlorine generator started to go up. Also, it seems like the generator can't go from zero to appropriate chlorine. I needed to add bottled chlorine and then the generator kept it at the right level. This has been very frustrating.
MartyCombat

Postby MartyCombat » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 18:44

Hey, Excel in Maryland!!!!
I have been trying to get someone to come out and fix my salt chlorinator for my pool for about one and one half months. i need help! Everyone I call either knows nothing about them or says leave an number and they will call back, but they never do. I called the Goldline support person for Maryland but his message says he retired and gave me another number which I have been leaving messages on to no effect.

Someone who can fix this thing, call me 410-757-5593
ncopley
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16K gal, pebbel tech, goldline TCell 15, inground pool with spa.

Postby ncopley » Fri 07 Oct, 2011 10:59

It's me again...So I changed out the little black satellite lookind dish on the circuit board. Had a professional solder a new one on. Plugged it back in and STILL have a reading of 4900! New cell was also installed. I am worried that if I buy a new Circuit board to the tune of $500 that this may also NOT fix the problem! ANY IDEAS....ANYONE?
jamkeen

Postby jamkeen » Sat 15 Oct, 2011 17:05

Thank you Mike Munz!!! I went to our local pool supply store in Jackson Tn..Aloha Pool and Spa to buy one of these current limiters..The parts guy informed me that I would have to purchase the entire board! I guess he thought that since I was a woman that I hadn't done my research!!! I asked him twice about purchasing JUST the limiter..He was adamant that I would need the whole board..I proceeded to tell him that I knew that you could buy just the part and he will no longer receive my business..Thank you so much for posting this info on line..It just saved me several hundred dollars...
valentil

Postby valentil » Sat 19 Nov, 2011 14:17

Hello There!

I have a goldline control panel in house and a T-15 salt cell generator. The yellow light is on and a message appears that says "Cholorinator Off, Low Volts" and "Check System, Low Volts".

Do you know what this could mean?

Thanks!
GettMac

Postby GettMac » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 17:42

I have a couple questions regarding my Aqua-Rite/Turbo Cell chlorinator. The entire unit is about 6 years old. Never had any problems until now. It seems the chlorine production has tapered to near nothing. The salt level registers between 3100-3200 which is where it's always done fine. When I switch to "super chlorinate" the light does not display. Regardless of having the chlorine dial maxed or super chlorinated, testing shows very little chlorine levels. Is my cell dying? Also, how do I determine how many gallons my cell pumps in case I have to replace it?
Rslewis
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10000 gal inground chlorine generator solar heated

Postby Rslewis » Fri 02 Mar, 2012 10:05

In case there are people still looking for this information as I do everytime I clean my cell.

To reset:
1) Turn the unit off
2) Turn it back to ' Auto '
3) Wait for the relay to click ( 5-10 sec )
4) Press the diagnostics button 5 times to display instant salt level.
Wait for the number to settle.

This should be done after you have cleaned and replaced the cell every 3 months ( cough ... once a year because you've been lazy :) )

Note: It is really common from what I've read and been told for the units to incorrectly display the salt levels. My generator is typically low at least 300. Always get your salt levels tested at a pool store. If your generator reading drops bellow a certain level it will stop generating salt.
Rslewis
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10000 gal inground chlorine generator solar heated

Postby Rslewis » Fri 02 Mar, 2012 10:10

@ gettmac
On the Hayward site they should have a list of vendors that can actually test your cell. This saved me $500 a few years ago. You take your cell to the store and they can hook it up and test it.

Worst case you are correct and you will need to replace the unit.
I've just been told for the first time to clean my sensor and I've actually contacted Hayward to figure out how that procedure works.

More than likely it needs to be cleaned. 1 part acit : 4 parts water in a bucket and rinse the cell. Some of the directions say to scrape with a wood or plastic object I've never thought that would be a good idea.

You should clean the cell every 3 months. Most cleanings should simply be taking it off line and cleaning it out with a hose. The acid cleaning should be done if you see scaling that doesn't come off with the hose.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”