Swimming Insects

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Sparky

I have the Answer!!

Postby Sparky » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 01:34

I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM
To be clear before I start I am a novice pool owner (which is why I was searching this topic to resolve my bug issue) however the answer came to me in a flash. :idea:

These pesky bugs have to breath therefore if you cut off their air supply they die. We once put parafin in our rain water tanks to prevent mosquito lavae from hatching, obviously parafin was not an option so I grabbed about 50ml of baby oil and spread it over the suface of the water, stirred the pool up and within two hours the bugs were floating on the surface. all that was left was for me to skim the surface of the pool with the net and then run the pool skimmer, the water is now crystal clear and as an added bonus we all have beautiful soft skin! :lol:

CAUTION
1. I do not have any idea what effect this will have on the water quality however if it is OK for a babies skin I would think there would be no problem in our 10metre pool.
2. The oil residue left on your skin will make you more likely to get sun burnt.
3. Having baby soft skin may drive your partner wild :shock:

lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Swimming insects and pool bugs

Postby lonestar » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 09:45

If you have bugs in your water, your water is not sanitary. You should never swim in a pool with bugs in it. There are some interesting dieseases you can get from untreated water, some of which can be spread just by being splashed in your eye. Its not like swimming in a fast moving river. Your pool pump doesnt move that much water.

If you have bugs, do not swim. Increase the chlorine level (shock it heavily) and wait.
enjoythepool

Swimming Insects

Postby enjoythepool » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 18:38

Check out what this guy had to say. http://www.e-bug.net/forum/messages/21602.shtml Take away the food and the bugs die!! He said shock then scrub everyday for a week, and don't forget the algaecide. He has my vote. Kills the bugs that feed on the algae (food source).
rabmab1991

Swimming Insects

Postby rabmab1991 » Wed 20 May, 2009 16:39

I have these bugs in my pool that resemble ticks but was told they are not. They keep coming back and pool shock does not kill the. They are not Backswimmers. Does anyone know what they could be? PLEASE HELP. I have 3 small children and am afraid for their safety.....!
ritz

Swimming Insects

Postby ritz » Thu 21 May, 2009 05:35

Guessing the infestation you have is from Springtails, Rab. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtails

Even in MA I get the backswimmers in my pool. They are a nuisance, I will try the soap trick.
3ofus

Backswimmers

Postby 3ofus » Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:11

Hello Folks,
I had this problem many years ago in my pool. I tried everything to get rid of them. I read somewhere on the internet that it is the "PH" of the water that really matters. I can no longer remember whether it should be alittle high or a little low. Our "PH" here runs alittle high. I always have to lower it. If I do not Lower the PH, I run about 7.8 to 8.0 ........BUT I have no backswimmers. Maybe then, its high PH.
If you look up "Backswimmers+PH" on the internet, you may be able to find that article I found long ago.
All the Best
bobc

Swimming Insects

Postby bobc » Fri 03 Jul, 2009 19:53

hi all Something you can try , a couple of teaspones of dish detergent at night with the pump off. Let the water calm before adding the detergent. the bugs are air breathers and the detergent prevents them from getting air. Next morning their dead so you can net them out. Hope this helps

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 16:08

i still can't get these water bugs out
Pacific NW swimmer

Swimming Insects

Postby Pacific NW swimmer » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 16:28

I've seen these swimmers in my pool both in Michigan and in Washington (the state). They like algea, so give your pool an extra boost of algeacide. Upon seeing the first one, I chase down all I find and squash the bageezers out of them. The gal at the pool store said there is a soaplike additive that puts a film on the top of the pool that keeps them from being able to swim because it coats their bodies. When chasing them down, look around lights, ladders, and steps; they are good hiders.
apirl

Swimming Insects

Postby apirl » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 21:15

when my cousin and i got in the pool we kept getting bit and we just though tit was by ants. but a few weeks later me and my friend were in the pool and i felt something bite me. then i saw a bug swim away. we went around the pool with goggles trying to catch it. after about five tries we finally cought it. I showed it to my dad and he just said to put it in our pond for the fish to eat. it was a clear colour. today i was going to get in the pool with my niece, but first i had to skimm the pool so when i got all the dead bees out i saw another one, so i scooped it up this time the one i cought was black and white. so i decided to do a little research and found this website. i dont know how to kill them but i am going to try to change the water in my pool and get a cover that covers the entire top of my pool so these little freaks cant get in anymore. i suggest that anyone who has the same problem drain there pool, fill it back up and get a cover so they cant get in. if the problem persists then, well im stumped... :problem:
Melinda in Tennessee

Swimming Insects

Postby Melinda in Tennessee » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 21:13

I got in my pool today and got these creepy bugs in my pool and they were a blackish metallic greenish blue. I also got bit the day before. I can't get rid of these creepy things! HELP! :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock: :shock: :shock:
tstone

Swimming Insects

Postby tstone » Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:29

there are a pest in my pool to. I go around in my neighborhood and i clear there pool of algea and the bugs. another way is to find a turtle (or use neighbors turtle) and chlorine remover and stick the turtle in your pool and it will eat them.

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 18:12

I live in Sydney and i also have a large number of little bugs in my pool. The backswimmer/boatmen bugs that have been written about seem way too large for the ones in my pool. The ones i have are only about 1mm in length but have hundreds of them. They are too small for the regular pool net to fish out. Cant be any coincidence that when i first noticed them a couple of days ago the pool turned quite cloudy. Does anyone out there know about the ones im talking about?

KO
charlezangie

Swimming Insects

Postby charlezangie » Mon 17 May, 2010 17:06

I used dish liquid once...a whole bottle in 5000 gal pool. The pump ran all night and when i looked outside the next morning, it looked like a giant snocone...we laughed & laughed, so did the neighborhood. It did kill the bugs and no harm to the pool!!
Karen

Swimming Insects

Postby Karen » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 17:09

Hello! We live in upstate New York --- can someone please HELP us! We have very small white insects with wings floating on the top of our pool. They are too small to be caught in the skimmer and nets - they go through the nets! No one seems to know where they are coming from, what they are, or how to get rid of them. Can someone help us!!!

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”