What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
zz28zz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Foundation: borax & EDTA for well water

Postby zz28zz » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 22:44

The pool store guy told me today abt using a chemical called "Foundation" after I told him I'm on well water.

It comes in a small bucket (a powder?) and each bucket treats 6K gals. Cost abt $32 or so per bucket. It's used once a year and it supposed to prevent algie and clear the water and stabilize the pH.

He mentioned it wasn't anything new within the pool community, but recently became more affordable.

I tried searching on the net for this stuff and came up with nothing. Anyone had any experience with this chem?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Foundation - Salt Water Foundation

Postby Larry » Fri 20 Mar, 2009 02:23

Foundation, or Salt Water Foundation, is marketed as a start-up mixture to optimize chlorine generator operation. It could possibly be used in well water if the water is only used for your pool and garden as the labeling states: :!: Contains potential reproductive toxins. May cause chronic toxic effects.

As far as the function and contents go, Foundation makes some wild claims that are not backed up by their technical literature. The official Salt Water Foundation web page claims:
  • phosphate remover - reduces phosphates (a limiting nutrient for algae growth) levels. Near zero phosphate levels increase generator efficiency!
  • Natural enzymes - reduces organic build-up on generator cells filter media and pool surfaces, reduces organic load in water and minimizes pool maintenance
  • Stabilizer - helps provide stable water balance
  • Metal Deactivator - chelants and scale inhibitors protect pool surfaces from staining and prolongs the life of generator

Yet the MSDS for Foundation shows the product to contain:
  • EDTA - which can claim to be a "Metal Deactivator"
  • Borax
  • Boric acid

As far as I'm aware, borax is not a phosphate remover, natural enzyme and stabilizer all rolled into one.

Here is one discussion about borax in pool water.

I would be very wary of using borates in a well, where the initial concentration would be high and would fall with each use of the water. It is often difficult to determine the volume of water in a well sump due to fluctuations in the water table. There may be also groundwater contamination resulting from seepage out of the well. According to the manufacturers website: "Components of this product have been identified as having potential environmental concerns.".

Larry

Postby Guest » Sat 21 Mar, 2009 02:09

You could try MPS shock (monopersulfate) which is a non chlorime oxygen shock. It is safe and once it has done its job it disappears.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 17:46

See this thread on borax, borates and edta for pool water in the BBB pool care forum.

Neither of the ingredients listed in the product MSDS can function as a phosphate remover or natural enzyme.

Larry

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”