pool liner installation

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Turtle

Liner Installation

Postby Turtle » Mon 08 May, 2006 21:16

Just today we finished putting up our 33' x 52" above ground pool with a beaded liner. When I first started putting the water in I couldn't even push the liner in against the sides. I was scared to death that it was going to pull in the sides. Under the liner we used 1" foam and foam cove. But once the water got to the top everything was just fine. The liner had stretched out and the walls were nice and straight.

Jparker

Liner

Postby Jparker » Wed 24 May, 2006 07:19

Same problem with my 33 X 18. According to the directions it said the pool liner should be stretched and the bottom seam should be up on the wall. My complaint to Namco has been how can I do that when the liner is measuring 31.7 ft not 33 ???. So Namco was nice enough to replace the liner. Guess what.... this one is 32 ft! Still short. We had a pool collapse last year which flooded the basement so I am not taking any chances. Anyone else having this problem?? Namco pool...Swimline liner
Kymberly

Pool walls buckling

Postby Kymberly » Wed 16 May, 2007 15:12

Swimline liner here. 24' round 48" wall beaded edge liner.

Installed PERFECTLY. On a 80 degree sunny day, we stood in that pool for TWO HOURS making sure the liner was totally wrinkle-free.

We had the requisite 8" and everything else.

Today, the truck comes to fill the pool and with 1" in the walls start buckling in.

I PANICKED!

It didn't help that the water guy was the first day on the job.

I'm concerned that this sounds like a Swimline problem???

This was a $400 liner - the damned thing BETTER be right.

This pool was installed PERFECTLY. Laser-leveled to within a nanosecond. The uprights are holding (knock wood) so it's not an installation issue.
bdunn

pool buckle

Postby bdunn » Sun 20 May, 2007 08:38

same problem with j hook liner. it was cold out. several inches between liner and wall. What do I do? wait for warm weather! The pool buckled in a few places. removed some water 4" inside buckles reduced. Temp was 55 degrees cloudy and raining. This was also a swimline liner
rocc

liner slipping

Postby rocc » Mon 28 May, 2007 07:57

I have an 18 ft round above ground pool 52 inches deep. I replaced the J-HOOK liner. I filled the pool and have AIR at the top of the liner to the point that the liner is lifting away from the j-hook. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks[/b] :cry:
AudiFan

Pool Liner

Postby AudiFan » Tue 29 May, 2007 13:53

I've had an above ground for the last 25 years and have had to install several beaded liners. They come in two standard sizes, 52" and 48". That is the measurement from the floor (top of the sand) to the rail the bead sits in. The sand should be packed down and smooth. I use a grass roller rented from the local Home Depot for $20. The only trick is draining the water out of it when I'm done so I can get it back out of the pool. I've had the most success with a wet vac sucking the water out of the roller. You can use a preformed cove around the edge but I just take an old right angle bend from a gutter downspout and create a consistant round shape in the sand and then tamp it firm with my shoe. The liner should not be streched at all when installed. It does not have any structural ability. It just seals the water in. The walls hold all the weight of the water. If there is a lot of gap between the wall and the liner you either need more sand or get the correct size liner. If you have a 48" liner it will not fit in a 52" pool. recheck the distance from the bead to the seam for the floor. It should look like this
www websweeper com/ php/ pool_liners/ abg-002 php
Also remember that both the sand floor and the pool itself MUST be level. I hope this helps make the installation go smoother.
Friend

how to fix that loose liner

Postby Friend » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 15:53

this how you fix this problem! Take a wet vac an put the hose of it in between the liner an the wall of the pool hold the liner an the hose have some one to cut on the wet vac an thes will pull the liner tight an get out a wrinkles . It really works ! sucks all thair out an holds the liner tight as a bug in a rug ! Good luck! :wink:
RC

Buckling walls

Postby RC » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 19:33

I started filling my pool (18' x 52") and my walls are buckling, I have 18" of water and am very nervous to continue filling. I am using a beaded liner and have 46.5 inches from cove to rim. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
In the mean time, I will continue to fill and keep everyone posted
RC

buckles are gone?

Postby RC » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 20:25

After waiting overnight, I started to fill the pool again at 1200pm. The sun wasn't out, but it was hazy and humid. The liner has streched and the buckles are diminishing. Currenty I am at 38" of water. everything is looking good.
So I guess to anyone out there having this problem, don't panic. This seems to be normal behavior when installing beaded liners below 60 degrees F.
litoq

new pool install

Postby litoq » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 08:44

I'm installing a pool as well (27' round, 54" walls, Swimline J-liner) and am also worried that the liner or wall will burst.
Even after letting the liner sit in the sun and heat (95 degrees) all day , it still was an extremely tight fit. What pissed me off was that all the instructions provided stated that there should be some slack and the liner should fall flat against the wall, cove and bottom...this was simply not going to happen unless I took a heating gun, melted and stretched the damn thing by hand. Once we finally got it on, I let it hang in the sun again until I thought it was ok to start filling (5 hours later) and figured the weight of the water will help it stretch. I am still filling it up (100 degree sunny day and about 1 1/2' of water) and the liner is still not touching the top of the wall. WTF? The liner install instructions are useles!!
I am finding more valuable information online through forums like this than from any AG pool vendor. Here I am, freaking out that I will soon have a man-made swamp in my back yard. I think the pool manufacturers need to give better and more realistic instructions than the ones provided.
Thanks to all of you for putting my mind at ease (or at least a little at ease...I think I'm going check it again ugh!!). Are all of you sure that the liner will stretch? This is soo nerve-racking!! :x :x
Sumtersicilian

J hook pool liner

Postby Sumtersicilian » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 09:27

Seems we're having the same problem as many others. We're replacing our old pool by installing a 24' X 52" Pacifica pool from Rec Warehouse and having issues with the j hook liner. No matter what we do, add fill material, use the vacuum trick, etc. the liner is still not draping like curtains down the wall. We can get maybe 1/2 of the walls tight, but the other half is strectched about 4 inches away from the wall. Seems like a design issue with the j hook liner, just not as forgiving as the overlap. We're afraid to run water in the pool like everyone else. We also have an underdrain that we need to tie into, so the liner needs to be pretty close to dead nuts final install before securing to the bottom drain and installing.
Anyone's advice is appreciated. My wife has had it.
Surf0590

pool liner installation

Postby Surf0590 » Sat 10 May, 2008 05:22

We had no problems installing a pool liner overlap liner that is from swimline. We have a 24' round by 48 inch wall. It does have to be a warm day and I also suggest you allow the liner to warm up in the sun after taking out of box. We set the box in center of pool than removed liner and stretch out as much as possible and then let it warm up. It helps if you have at least 3 people.

Postby Guest » Sat 10 May, 2008 18:17

Glad I have an overlap liner.

Soooo eazy! 8)
tspearman

J hook Liner

Postby tspearman » Tue 20 May, 2008 19:13

I have to replace my liner this year and don't know which to purchase. I do not like the over lap liner so I was looking at the J-hook type. Does it just hook over the pool wall or do you have to purchase something else for it to hook to? Where can you get the best deal?

Thanks[/b]
wkmarlette

15' x 42" Above ground framed pool and liner leaks

Postby wkmarlette » Sat 12 Jul, 2008 19:08

Purchased a Genfoam plastics 15'x42" above ground pool, approx. 3800 gallons. Assembled as per instructions and filled. We were able to use pool for about 30 days until the liner developed a small leak which grew larger. Leak was at area where the side wall meets the bottom liner. We drained the pool to see if patching was probable, which wasn't due to location of leak.
We returned pool and got a complete replacement, pool replaced was from same manufacture, same size but seemed to have a different bottom liner mat'l and pump assy, but all else (frame etc. was same).
Long story short, assembled and filled the pool to level , well about a 1/2 hour later the pools bottom liner split open to a width of 3 ft at the same seam where side wall and the bottom liner are connected, Needless to say 3800 gallons rushed out and did considerable water damage to a neighbors home. Pool was not even used. Anybody have similar problems? Mfg was Gen Foam Plastics.
We thank you for your replies.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”