Fiberglass or gunite???

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Guest » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 21:03

I live in San Antonio and am getting quotes for both gunite and fiberglass. From what I have been told Leisure pools is expensive. If you go with fiberglass or any pool for that matter it is a good idea to get a lot of quotes and do a lot of research.

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 16:06

there is a lot more you can do with gunite rather than fiberglass. Gunite pools can accomodate marcite, pebbletec, or quartz. As a fiberglass pool can just be....fiberglass!
Hunter392

Fiberglass or gunite?

Postby Hunter392 » Sun 04 Mar, 2012 22:14

Aquatic Escapes wrote:Dittos on the fiberglass pools. The only way to go. I install Viking fiberglass pools with a lifetime warranty. When going with fiberglass, get the graincoating on the bottom. This is a non slip texture built into the pool. Save thousand over gunite maintenance in just a few years. Don't even compare fiberglass to liner...

I have a concern , I purchased a Viking fibreglass pool 4 monthes ago , just now prepairing to install it , and noticed it had cracks in the gel coat all over it every few inches , is this normal ,?? should I go ahead with the installation ??
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby czechmate » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 09:00

No.
One more thing. Any so called lifetime warranty in a swimming pool industry is a complete fairy tale.
You can't even make them to come look at it when you start having problems and when you finally succeed, they will give bunch a B.S.
How many lawyers you have on retainer? Well, you can bet that they have them.
Not only do not let them install what raises flag for you as a layman, but hire a own superviser now.
It will cost you peanuts against what may follow later.
Remember: Experience is what you get when you did not get what you wanted.
You paying the bill in the severely hurting economy. So you call the shots!
TA

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby TA » Sat 24 Mar, 2012 09:46

I had a San Juan Pool installed just over a year ago. It has a colored finish, which looks very nice. It immediately had surface cracks at the base of the steps on each end - probably due to stress during transport, installation, etc.... Mynbelief is that these cracks were probably present before the pool even went into the ground. The cracks are now over 2 feet long at ech end, and fill with dirt so they are very visible. Guests have asked me " what are those lines ?". San Juan would not investigate, look into, or anything. The only response I got was " we do not warranty the gel coat". How is that for spending over 100k on a pool project ? 

I wish I wouldn't have bought this pool, as it gives me alarm of things to come and the lack of ownership of a companies product.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby czechmate » Sat 24 Mar, 2012 12:32

TA wrote:How is that for spending over 100k on a pool project ? 

I wish I wouldn't have bought this pool, as it gives me alarm of things to come and the lack of ownership of a companies product.

It is highly uncommon to use a fiberglass shell incorporated in a 100K total pool investment.
Most people do more research to spend 8000.00 on a used car.
As I always say: "Experience is what you get, when you did not get what you wanted".
Thinking I Hate Fiberglass

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Thinking I Hate Fiberglass » Mon 11 Jun, 2012 15:06

I am realy thinking that I hate fiberglass with a passion, we recoated like 15 or 20 years ago--was not around much then--off to college an whatnot

anyway, swimming is a passion for me, and as a youth I never seemed to overdo it, these days, the more the fiberglass pool coating gives way the more sensitive i seem to be to the pool and seeing the pattern year in and year out has pretty much convinced me that it is that darned coating

in general anyone that has been up doing attic work etc knows the stuff is nasty but now ive come to the conclusion that the pool coating is even worse

why?

1 the particles are smaller
2 they are being carried by water and hence their directionality perpendicular to the skin can obtain maximum penetration--force against the skin and skin porosity work to get the fiberglass in
3 unlike attic work--unless you have some kind of high tech suit on (ha ha) your skin including your scalp is in contact with the stuff
4 in an attic a bit of fiber glass can be "puffed away" aint happening with glass fibers in a slurry of water

finally i'd like to point out that i'm real skeptical about the so called gell coat causing the rash because my hunch is that it would be short lived

w/ my current itch I expect it to last a few more weeks, there is no observable rash, at the cellular level i think that the glass damages the basal epidermal cells which allows for inflamation to find its way into the dermal epidermal junction

I guess ive convinced myself that i hate the stuff more than ever --so much for looking for answers i might as well have faith in my own :oops:
Pool upgrade

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Pool upgrade » Mon 27 May, 2013 23:29

I have a 16 x 32 inground pool. I have had it for 13 years and it has a liner, the liner has to be replaced. I was wondering if I could change it to concrete. What would be the range of cost?
TSH Tech

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby TSH Tech » Fri 31 May, 2013 01:13

Pool upgrade wrote:I have a 16 x 32 inground pool. I have had it for 13 years and it has a liner, the liner has to be replaced. I was wondering if I could change it to concrete. What would be the range of cost?

Anything is possible. Changing out liner is much more cost effective than say (est.) $20,000+ plaster build.
Liner companies have all kinds of elegant vinyl pattern to choose from
As an example http://kafko.com/main.php?mod=vinylvisu ... nyl_id=199
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby czechmate » Fri 31 May, 2013 09:38

If the existing shell is gunite I would suggest replaster with DiamondBrite or similar modern plaster. That route is of course more expensive, but in return you put an investment in your backyard.
It will last when done properly.
Keep in mind that maintenance of gunite is a bit more demanding and cost a bit more.
If the money is not of a critical concern, you will become a proud owner of a real gem!
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Fiberglass or gunite???

Postby Poonamdpi » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 03:29

Hello,
Fiberglass pool are very quick and easy to install. Installation of a gunite pool is much more complicated, as all the work is done onsite. Whereas a fiberglass pool can be installed in a matter of days, concrete pools typically take weeks or even months.
fdasilva
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I’m looking at getting a Viking Fiberglass Pool or a Gunite with PebbleTec finish. I’d like to here pros and cons of both. I here fiberglass is easier to maintain and clean but I’ve also heard that the PebbleTech finish can do the same thing.

Postby fdasilva » Sun 29 Jul, 2018 16:03

We are looking to install either a fiberglass by Viking or a Gunite with the PebbleTech finish. In the research I’ve done it seems like fiberglass is easier to clean and maintain in the long run. But with the quotes I’ve gotten from our local Gunite pool company they can install the same size pool with the PebbleTech finish and it almost never needs replastering and needs less cleaning due to the smoother finish. I’m not sure if this is true. Both have lifetime warranties on the structure and the pool surface. They are about the same in cost. Please let me know any information on these. Thank you! fdasilva
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 06:33

Pebbletech is nowhere near as smooth as fibreglass. Pebbletech needs more management of chemical levels. Much easier to look after a fibreglass pool.
lucyjohn987
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I love doing swimming. My pool size is 12ft long

Re: Concrete Vs. Fiberglass

Postby lucyjohn987 » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 01:44

DiscontPoolWarehouse wrote:Graham,

I have to first confess that I am old school, when I first started in the pool industry Concrete was the dominant pool. Things have changed over the years and the options are many now all have their advantages and disadvantages. Here in, the best non-biased format I can muster is my opinion of the choices you list.

CONCRETE ADVANTAGES- This pool if built by a reputable builder will last several generations. The surface of the pool, if the water chemistry is well maintained will last for many years. I have seen a 25-year-old concrete pool that was in mint condition, it just needed an acid washing to bring back the dull color. This pool just looks great and you are not limited to what size or shape you want. The sky is the limit to what you can build. There are some pretty impressive concrete pools being built these days.

CONCRETE DISADVANTAGE- the price, depending on where you live, can be steep. If you are in a northern climate frost heaving can be a problem with the tiles in older pools. After a number of years the pool will have to be acid washed to bring back the bright white color of the plaster if you choose a white plaster finish. Acid washing tends to rough up the surface and after awhile it will begin to cut the feet. To solve this problem you will either have to resurface (expensive or paint, once you start painting you will be painting every 2-5 years depending on the type of paint you use.)

FIBERGLASS ADVANTAGE- This pool is easy to install so it makes it less expensive in most areas than a concrete pool. The surface is smooth and easy on the feet. They have done some great things in recent years with fiberglass pools and you can really dress them up. The pool is easy to maintain.

FIBERGLASS DISADVANTAGE-You are limited in size and form. The size of pool they make is limited to how big they can transport on the back of a truck, usually in the 14' wide range. Shapes vary from manufacture to manufacture and there are quite a few choices compared to 20 years ago. The surface of the pool is smooth and can be slick on the steps creating a slip hazard. If you are installing the pool in a sandy area it can tend to shift over a few years and then need to be reset. If you do not maintain the chemistry properly the pool surface can be ruined and the pool would have to be replaced or re-gel coated.

Well there you have it as un-biased as I can make it. I am sure there are some points I may have missed, but I believe I have hit the major points. I hope this helps everyone with their decision making process.

Guru of Pools
at DPW

Great post
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:13

Was it? More out of date information. Fibreglass pools are often made in sections and assembled on site so larger sizes are easily transported. Shapes and forms depends on the company selected so shop around for what takes your fancy.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”