Is Pebble tech a good surface?

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
Pam Fitts

Postby Pam Fitts » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 17:59

We bought the house with a 4 yr old Pebble Tec pool surface.
The surface chews through the seals of pool vacuum units -I never had that problem with the gunnite pool we had for 8 years, never replaced a seal, now replace every year. Feet get cut up so bad I only go in the pool with swim shoes -just like on the coral-filled beaches of Waikiki.
I do have swaths of missing pebbles, they cause the remaining pebbles nearby to cut feet even better.
There was no discernible heating difference, the pool was too cold to use without using a solar blanket.
I would NOT Recommend this product -unless the body of water is just for looks- No one's actually ever going to have to use it...

jeredh
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jeredh » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 23:24

There is such a varying degree of opinions here. My PebbleTec surface is 2 years old and i have no complaints thus far. Time will tell.

I have to believe the quality of your finish, no matter what it is, relies on the quality of the install and the care given to it. I've owned this pool for 25 years, originally a gunite surface and resurfaced once with gunite and now PebbleTec. I selected PebbleTec b/c i prefer the texture of rough vs silky smooth. Mine does not affect my feet or childrens feet. I have not noticed any significant degradation of equipment as a result of PebbleTec. All I get on my pool is compliments.

Get a quality installer and maintain your pool surface & water qualities correctly.

Good luck.
Teresa

Postby Teresa » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 14:54

How does one rid itself of the dreaded cauliflower stain from fertilizer?
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 11:25

Ask yourself why you want it first. Is it because you like it so much, or because you want to have a trendy pool? Than ask yourself how much can you rely on the crew, since you have no clue who will show up that morning. Selecting a pool surface is not like selecting a latex on your garage door or stain on your fence. Try to learn how to make your decisions by percentages stacking in your favor. You can get many favorable testimonies on a forum, but it is like buying stock based on the last year performance. You do not know how it will be installed, or even if they will use a proper materials in the mix, never mind the process. I personally had to send home a crew, that came to install Bond Kote for the Diamond Brite. Why? First they came in the late afternoon, (which is way late to start this), handled acid mix like washing a highway after spill and when I went to look how many bags of Bond Kote they had in the truck, I discovered sand bags and some acrylic mix crap. I have fired them and the plastering contractor immediately.
Smart selection of a pool surface starts with its own ability to accelerate the cleaning process. And that very essence is a smooth gunite, that will minimize the chance of algae to take hold on any crevice or even miniscule cracks, including places of flow impediment.
I will skip the story about the impact of loose pebbles on your pump impellers, etc.
Good Luck!
LarryB

Re: Is Pebble tech a good surface?

Postby LarryB » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 14:40

I have a Pebble Tech surface in my pool that is 5+ years old. The original color is aqua but it is gradually turning black mostly on the steps and in the shallow areas. What can be done if anything to restore it to the original color and prevent this from happening?
napalover

Postby napalover » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 14:11

We have had our Pebble Tec pool for over 15 years and we love it. Very low maintenance. I highly suggest it.
jeredh
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jeredh » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 21:16

LarryB wrote:I have a Pebble Tech surface in my pool that is 5+ years old. The original color is aqua but it is gradually turning black mostly on the steps and in the shallow areas. What can be done if anything to restore it to the original color and prevent this from happening?

I have a salt pool and when temps warm up, there are small areas of black, algae-like growth. These are about the size of a quarter at biggest. I use a soft bristled hand brush and brush these spots away. Does this sound like your issue?
Dschmidt

Postby Dschmidt » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 09:33

For everyone with stain issues, just use sparkle conquest. Problems solved
amo

Postby amo » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 08:28

Run from Pebble Tech - oh, sorry, unless you want a pool full of 7 year olds at a pool opening birthday party with bleeding toes and feet. Ditto the next day with our family pool party. 10 out of 12 kids had abrasions so bad on their feet they were flowing with blood. Blood. Am I crazy or if PebbleTech is such hot stuff why wouldn't they complete the job so children in a pool (repeat, children in a pool) don't have their feet cut up and abraided so badly they bleed. (I see the comments about a few weeks of scrubbing. REALLY? I would expect the pebbletech people have some pretty nice industrial scrubbers they could make part of the process to avoid, again, it seems crazy to have to write this -but- BLEEDING FEET in children in a backyard swimming pool - water color looks great though - at least we have that, even though no one wants their kids to swim in our pool - including us.
hbs

Postby hbs » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 14:12

Before considering using a Pebble Tec pool finish, take the time to read the reviews in the pool and landscape forums. I did not, and the re-done surface failed, discolored, and deteriorated almost immediately. After sending an inspector (which took nearly one year), Pebble Tec has stated that the deterioration is a result of 'freeze and thaw damage'.
We use a professional pool service firm to maintain the pool. The pool is properly winterized each year. The surface failed almost immediately upon install. Neither Pebble Tec nor their approved, authorized installer has assumed any responsibility for the workmanship but instead have stated that they are "assuming you have not been informed as to how to winterize your pool".
I recommend selecting another pool finish, as do many others, as Pebble Tec's follow up and ability to stand behind their product is non-existent.
dee

Postby dee » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 19:49

I have a plaster pool, built in 2000 so 17 years old, I purchased the home in 2007 that's 11 yrs ago. I'm not sure but it may have been replastered or it was acid washed not sure by previous owners. I have not had any problems with my plaster looks great. I recently had my water "cleaned" which is using an RO pool filtration co. That's when I really began to understand the chemical side of pool maintenance. I would not own the expensive SWG especially in AZ where cells burn up pretty quickly and expensive to replace. I understand they are marketed as a maintenance free or low maintenance so less attention is paid to the chemicals especially PH rises. My neighbor resurfaced his pool with pebble tec when I move in 2007; I just looked the fence the other day to see this really nicely designed pool and spa that must have cost quite a bit in the first place sitting empty, tile falling off the sides, pebble tec broke off of the steps....it was a horror story....they also put in a salt water generator with the pebble tec. I can't imagine how much money they spent and now to sell the home they're going to have to take a loss compared to the value with a beautiful pool. SAD.....
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 28 Oct, 2017 12:22

I just remembered why I love liners
swimlikearock
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round Doughboy | Hayward Cartridge Filter | Hayward 1hp Pump | Oxygen Pools Water Treatment System |

Postby swimlikearock » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 11:40

I used to clean a lot of pools and I have mixed feelings on Pebble Tech
AllWeatherPools
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have lots of them :)

http://allweatherpoolservice.com/

Postby AllWeatherPools » Tue 06 Mar, 2018 21:31

The stones can be a little to walk on for kids, so skip it if kids are going to be in your pool often.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”