underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Alternative Joe

Postby Alternative Joe » Thu 08 May, 2014 23:45

The "pro" fixed my clogged line using a high pressure (3000 PSI rated) CO2 tank, a 6' hose, and a blowout bag. There's no regulator, not even a pressure gauge, and it was about 80 degrees so this rig was giving about 1000 PSI. He put the bag in at the pump so as to reverse flush out through the skimmer. He then carefully opened the valve, resulting in a fountain of water and debris about 50' high shooting out of the skimmer. This was repeated several times. The blowout bag would freeze in the pipe so we waited a few minutes between shots. Problem was solved in about 15 minutes.

I dunno if I want to try this myself because the pressure involved is enough to explode the PVC piping, but the equipment necessary can be found at welding supply and home depot type stores.

Dammit!

Postby Dammit! » Sun 27 Jul, 2014 15:13

I'm having a sucion issue with my skimmer line. Even when I have the pump in filter mode there's no circulation in the skimmer. I have had this issue before (2 years ago) and I used a power washer to clear any blockage. I tried that yesterday and it didnt work :( . And I'm not sure which value is which; since the skimmer isnt working I cant figure that out quit yet.... I'm not sure if I have a blockage or what. Any suggestions? :shifty:
papadl

Re: underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Postby papadl » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 05:24

Leilani, go to the nearest pool store and purchase a hydrojet. It attaches to any garden hose and it's specifically used for unclogging lines. However, before you try using this tool, try doing what we call in the business...eliminating step-by-step problems. First problem to eliminate is checking to see if the pump impeller is clogged. This requires taking the pump apart. If it's clean, then it's time for checking if the filter needs cleaning. A dirty filter will cause a drop in suction and priming of pump. If the filter is clean, then it's time for the application of the hydrojet. Attach hydrojet to hose, turn off pump, close off main drain line using the valve on the line, remove the pump lid, and insert in the pump as much of the hydrojet as possible into the suction line attached to the pump. Turn on the water, go to the skimmer and wait for the water/debris to start coming into the skimmer. Give it about 5 minutes for any debris to become unstuck. If only water comes out and not debris, then turn water off, remove hydrojet from pump, and insert hydrojet as far as possible in suction line in the SKIMMER. Turn water on and wait for water to overflow out of pump. If water starts overflowing immediately out of pump. then the line is clear. Another little trick to try to see if the line is clogged, is to get a sock and let it get sucked into the skimmer line and wait for it to go to the pump basket. If it makes it through, then the line is clear. If not, then it's hydrojet time. If the line is clear and the skimmer line still doesn't have suction, then most likely there is a leak in either the skimmer line or the skimmer itself. Or, it simply could be an air lock. If it's an air lock, then the procedure is as follows; turn off pump, get a plug and plug up the skimmer line in the skimmer, remove pump lid, insert hydrojet in pump to the skimmer line, turn on water and wait for overflow of pump. Once it's overflowing, turn off water, replace pump lid, remove plug from skimmer and turn on pump. This procedure may take several tries before succeeding. Good luck!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Postby Teapot » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 09:07

I feel pretty sure they have sorted the issue out with the pipework after 11 years.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”