Pump sizing "feet of head" quandry?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Tue 18 Dec, 2007 22:21

you can make a vacuum tester out of PVC pipe & fittings that you can stick around skimmer hole and get vac. reading.
vac-gauge
PVC-pipe
PVC-cap fitting that has threaded hole in the middle for gauge to screw into
PVC-primer & glue

here is a good site that breaks down how to do it
Choosing the right pump for the job

As for the pump being underground I do not think it is going to cause any differance in pump sizing because it does not come into factor for solar heaters on the roofs of homes.

You can also call hayward who makes the north-star and they can help you figure it out as I have called in the past.

remember
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby remember » Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:56

Thanks for that article. I'll have to finish reading it tomorrow. I'm just too tired right now.

As far as why I mentioned our pump & other equipment as being underground, I thought that because our pump is underground that perhaps it would not have any suction head, since the water simply falls down the pipes from the pool skimmers directly to the pumps suction side? and thus the only head that I need to measure would be the gauge on top of the filter. I'm still not understanding this whole Static versus Dynamic versus Suction/Vacuum versus Discharge pressure head thing.?

I was thinking about calling Hayward, but one time I wrote them an email asking them about the noise levels, (because everybody said that Whisperflo was the quietest) and they responded by telling me that I would just have to have a technician come to my house to answer that question. I was pretty frustrated, but in all honesty, unfortunately I don't believe that are too many other options in this field, but yes I could try, but so far I have gotten much more info from forums like this and generally reading quite a bit from the web. But I'll finish reading that article you gave me tomorrow. Thanks a lot for it. It looks very good and detailed.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 21 Dec, 2007 18:11

I think just measuring your total 1.5" pipe & doubling it for fittings will be close enough to make the correct decision. I think you would not be able to go bigger than 1-hp.
I always take into account how many return lines are going to pool with 1.5" pipe. If theres 3 or more 1-hp, 2-3/4-hp, 1-1/2-hp, so theres no cavation with the new pumps being so much stronger than the old ones.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”