Pumping pool water up to roof.

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
juliansolace
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Various

Pumping pool water up to roof.

Postby juliansolace » Mon 21 Aug, 2023 20:58

Hi

Im looking to fit a heat pump for my pool on my roof 1 level (23 feet) above the pool.

The reason for this is that I have now room.

I have some questions about piping configuration.

Here are some points in considering.

> The pool will have a pump room below the water line.

> Ill take suction with a seperate pump and filter other then the main filter. This is due to the heat pump having a maximum flow rate lower then the pool pump capacity.

> Ill pump the water up via a check valve and into the suction of the heat pump.

> On the outet of the Heatpump ill add a P trap to stop water from flowing out of the heatpump and back into the pool.

> Now im thinking that every time the pump starts and stops then ill have air blow through the system.... Im thinking that the return pipe to the pool would empty to the pool due to gravity and then create an section of air that would push into the pool when the heat pump started again? Am i thinking about this correctly or would the vacuum in the pipe hold most of the water in the pipe?

Any thoughts, ideas?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Pumping pool water up to roof.

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 01:57

I struggle to understand how you have room for a pool but not a little space for a heat pump at ground level?
The average flow rate for a heat pump would usually fall into the normal range for great filtration but some people seem to think that high pressure and high flow rate is the way to go, it isnt! Slower filtration is better filtration, improves water quality and vastly reduces your electricity bills.
I dont think your P trap idea will work, you would need non return valves but Its not a great idea anyway.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
juliansolace
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby juliansolace » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 04:32

Thank you for the reply

This job is for a client, I had nothing to do with the planning.

Regarding the flow rate and filtration. When you say slower is better... Do you mean even slower then a filters recommended minimum flow rate ?

Also, Is retarding the flow of a standard pool pump by closing in the discharge valve a standard practice? is this recommended?
juliansolace
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby juliansolace » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 04:41

Teapot1 wrote:I struggle to understand how you have room for a pool but not a little space for a heat pump at ground level?

This is actually for a friend who is upgrading a hotel and I wasnt involved in the planning.

Teapot1 wrote: The average flow rate for a heat pump would usually fall into the normal range for great filtration but some people seem to think that high pressure and high flow rate is the way to go, it isnt! Slower filtration is better filtration, improves water quality and vastly reduces your electricity bills.

This is interesting, I have some questions?

1. When you say slower is better, do you mean even slower then any given filters recommended flow rate or minimum flow rate?

2. If I was to retard the flow rate in the system, is it generally okay to close in the discharge valve to do this?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 16:59

1. The figures used on filters seems to be marketing unless they are on backwash as generally the actual flow is around 2/3rds of the stated. What size are the filters and pool?

2. Closing a valve will slow the flow but put more strain on tbe pump and use more electricity. Better to slow the pump with an inverter drive. That way you save on electricity
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
juliansolace
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby juliansolace » Wed 23 Aug, 2023 23:50

Teapot1 wrote:1. The figures used on filters seems to be marketing unless they are on backwash as generally the actual flow is around 2/3rds of the stated. What size are the filters and pool?

2. Closing a valve will slow the flow but put more strain on tbe pump and use more electricity. Better to slow the pump with an inverter drive. That way you save on electricity

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”