Low Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
KE7065

Low Pressure

Postby KE7065 » Sat 14 May, 2011 20:45

In southern California. 20k gal above ground pool with 8 person spa. I have a newer Pentair multispeed, older Hayward cartridge filter system, brand new Hayward Navigator. Pressure at filters is about 15psi. Everything is slowing way down, pool dirty, Navigator not moving very fast, skimmer action very poor. Not cleaning well at all. Baskets at skimmer and pump cleaned out, but suction just doesn't seem very good. Cleaned filters really well (they are old), but still have problem.

I'm going to look for obstructions near pump inlet/outlet, but any other ideas? Thanks to all in advance.

ROBERT200000

Low Pressure

Postby ROBERT200000 » Sat 21 May, 2011 21:54

Worked: removed the basket and used a small pick like tool and pulled just about 20 eucalyptus leaves from the inlet to the pump. didn't think that was causing the problem since it was just a few but then it worked and went from 10 psi to 17 psi. Leslies pool guy said it was probably an O ring on the cap, which cost me 33.00 to replace and which did nothing, but that could be an issue if it is sucking air as well. also, be sure and add lubricant.

Thanks for the help, next step was a new filter lid at a 100.00! and then a service call. The leslie's guy also mentioned the Jandy valve could be sucking air. However, he didn't mention cleaning inlet which was the answer. Great post btw.
ROBERT2000000000

Low Pressure

Postby ROBERT2000000000 » Sat 21 May, 2011 21:55

Worked: removed the basket and used a small pick like tool and pulled just about 20 eucalyptus leaves from the inlet to the pump. didn't think that was causing the problem since it was just a few but then it worked and went from 10 psi to 17 psi. Leslies pool guy said it was probably an O ring on the cap, which cost me 33.00 to replace and which did nothing, but that could be an issue if it is sucking air as well. also, be sure and add lubricant.

Thanks for the help, next step was a new filter lid at a 100.00! and then a service call. The leslie's guy also mentioned the Jandy valve could be sucking air. However, he didn't mention cleaning inlet which was the answer. Great post btw.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Low Pressure

Postby czechmate » Sun 22 May, 2011 09:22

[quote="ROBERT2000000000"]Worked: removed the basket and used a small pick like tool and pulled just about 20 eucalyptus leaves from the inlet to the pump. didn't think that was causing the problem since it was just a few but then it worked and went from 10 psi to 17 psi.

Interesting summary. So 20 leaves got past your pump strainer basket and the fact alone did not alarm you?
If these were small pebbles your impeller bit the dust.
From all the baskets used in return lines the one at the pump is the last line of defence, thus most important!
Michaelk

Low Pressure

Postby Michaelk » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 21:17

My Hayward 60 filter is almost always 8-10psi, until I have to backwash, then the psi will normally rise. After cleaning the filter and adding new DE, the psi was at the usual 8psi, however recently, I've noticed very low (2-3) psi. I've tried most of the remedies listed and didn't find any debris blocking the impeller (I clean the skimmer and pump baskets daily). I do notice some DE backing-up into the pump basket however. I'm abit paranoid to take the pump apart. The pressure will rise to the normal 8-10 psi if I turn the pump on then off a few time. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for this site... it has been very informative.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Low Pressure

Postby czechmate » Sun 05 Jun, 2011 12:52

I have not seen yet back pressure against the filter be this low. I believe the plain elements and piping to the pool will give you at least 8psi.
Go and buy a new gauge. It is around 10 bucks.
bensonsr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,000 gallon, sand filter, pool cleaning jets

Low Pressure on cleaning diverter

Postby bensonsr » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 09:49

Hi,
I have an in ground cleaning system. My sand filter reads 21 PSI (normal) and my guage on cleaning diverter only reads @ 12 lbs PSI. Ive checked the in-line screen to the diverter, no debris. The line is only about 5 ft long from filter to diverter. Worked great up to a week ago (read @ 19 PSI). Any clues?

Thanks
bensonsr
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,000 gallon, sand filter, pool cleaning jets

Low Pressure

Postby bensonsr » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 09:52

Sorry, Thought I was posting new topic.
pool owner in Florida

Low Pressure

Postby pool owner in Florida » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:07

Living in Florida one might think we know all there is to know about pools. NOT. I have been having a low pressure issue the last few days and thought it was a clogged inlet line. After reading this, I checked my pump impeller and found a hand full of small leaves. Much better now!

Thanks for the advice! :D

Resolution

Postby Guest » Mon 27 Jun, 2011 12:38

Newbi wrote:Problem solved. There was a small black rubber seal about 2 inches in diameter that was inside the pump. The repair man removed the pump basket, reached in and pulled out the obstruction. Problem immediately solved, the pressure went back to the normal 20 PSI mark. Now, the only problem is figuring out where that rubber piece came from. The repairman didnt offer any clues.

Thank you for sharing your problem and solution. I had a similar problem, waterfall shut down, then pressure for vacuum dropped to zero. After reading your solution I just checked the inlet of the pump behind the basket and found a large clump of tightly bound fur from my Golden Retriever. The pressure in the vacuum is back to normal, the waterfall issue has not been resolved but at least the pool is cleaning itself again. Thank you again.

Gary
Mf

Low pressure fix on new pump

Postby Mf » Wed 29 Jun, 2011 00:02

New pump w 2 psi...drove me crazy for n hour...low flow until I read this n reached behind the pump basketto find a handful of pine needles...18psi right after!! :D and 0 cost like other poster!
CB

Low Pressure

Postby CB » Thu 30 Jun, 2011 19:25

Wow...this site just saved me some cash...my pool's jets were pushing only about 25% of the normal pressure...so, I called pool guy who of course could not respond until later this week...so, I turned to google and found your site...I read the posts about trash being stuck in the pump motors...after removing my skimmers, I found small cloth bracelet stuck in the motor propellers...once I removed it, the jet pressure returned immediately... Sweet!!!

CB in San Antonio
Tavman

Low Pressure

Postby Tavman » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 14:51

I have 20psi at the filter, and have cleaned the skimmer basket, pump basket, and filter. I still am not getting any pressure out of my return jets. Any suggestions??
new to forum

Low Pressure

Postby new to forum » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 11:16

I had low pressure too. I found leaves and hair wrapped around the pump intake. back to new!. Thanks for the inspiration
pooltroubles

Low Pressure

Postby pooltroubles » Tue 20 Sep, 2011 18:23

my pool pump gauge was reading 30psi so I cleaned out the filter and added more DE. Now my pressure reads 10 psi. I've looked for leaks and clogs but there was nothing. Any ideas or suggestions?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”