Low Pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
conniejo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: i have an inground vinyl pool. my filter pressure is 0. the pool is running. water is coming into the pool returns. what does this low pressure mean? it usually is at 10.

Low Pressure

Postby conniejo » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 07:26

i have an inground vinyl pool with a sand pump and i have usually a pressure of 10. today it is 0. water is coming into the pool returns. i dont know what the problem is. i have greased the gaskets. it still is 0. cant find a leak.

the novice

Low Pressure

Postby the novice » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 07:25

What a great post. My pump pressure dropped dramatically and my cleaner had no pressure. i was going to call the pool guy, but after reading this forum took out the basket and checked the pump impeller - full of pine needles and hair. Problem now solved!
Cameron Park

Low Pressure

Postby Cameron Park » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 17:54

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Exactly the problem.
Sunbaked

Low Pressure

Postby Sunbaked » Tue 15 Feb, 2011 00:35

Great Posts....My basket just ahead of the pump is worn and cracked. My back pressure had recently dropped from 16 psi to about 6 psi. The open crack in the basket had allowed debris to enter the impeller blocking some of the ports. It was easy to pull off and clean. Put it back on and it's back at 16 psi and works great! I'm heading to the store tomorrow to get a new basket.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Low Pressure

Postby Larry » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 08:25

Baskets with a simple split can be "woven" together with fishing line, which can add another few months to their life.

Larry
rwfbird

Low Pressure

Postby rwfbird » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 23:13

I continue to have low preasure 8 psi. The motor is new, Impeller is clean, I have check all values for and blockage and I have replaced the O-Rings. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Low Pressure

Postby czechmate » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 08:57

8 psi is about 2 pounds lower than most DE filter systems running without the DE media.
I would make sure there is no bypass of filter involved.
But was going to respond to problems with baskets initially.
Baskets that are full of leaves and debris cannot pass sufficient flow that the suction of pump demands.
So sooner or later, the bottom will start breaking of the basket. Same applies to a pump strainer.
It is the most easy maintenance around the pool that even the kids can do on regular basis.
The debris and leaves are exposed to a great force of rushing water, that strips and deposit decomposed particles into the filter, adding phosphates into the water as a potential food for algae.
Same occur in a Polaris bag left uncleaned for a week.
The fact, that the junk is in the bag does not mean that we cleaned the pool!!
MARTIN

Low Pressure

Postby MARTIN » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 06:48

Creepy crawley stops working after two minutes cant understand why please help
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Low Pressure

Postby czechmate » Fri 11 Mar, 2011 14:38

You need to give a bit more info.
Is the booster pump still running after 2 minutes?
What is the back pressure on the filter?
Nancy Gua

Low Pressure

Postby Nancy Gua » Tue 10 May, 2011 15:09

I have a inground pool. I have air bubbles coming out the returns. someone told me it could be the O ring on the lid of my pump. Also when the filter goes off the DE comes out the main drain at the bottom of the pool. i also notice this season when i closed the pool the main drain at the bottom of the pool did not blow. Please Help. :(
KE7065

Low Pressure

Postby KE7065 » Sat 14 May, 2011 20:45

In southern California. 20k gal above ground pool with 8 person spa. I have a newer Pentair multispeed, older Hayward cartridge filter system, brand new Hayward Navigator. Pressure at filters is about 15psi. Everything is slowing way down, pool dirty, Navigator not moving very fast, skimmer action very poor. Not cleaning well at all. Baskets at skimmer and pump cleaned out, but suction just doesn't seem very good. Cleaned filters really well (they are old), but still have problem.

I'm going to look for obstructions near pump inlet/outlet, but any other ideas? Thanks to all in advance.
ROBERT200000

Low Pressure

Postby ROBERT200000 » Sat 21 May, 2011 21:54

Worked: removed the basket and used a small pick like tool and pulled just about 20 eucalyptus leaves from the inlet to the pump. didn't think that was causing the problem since it was just a few but then it worked and went from 10 psi to 17 psi. Leslies pool guy said it was probably an O ring on the cap, which cost me 33.00 to replace and which did nothing, but that could be an issue if it is sucking air as well. also, be sure and add lubricant.

Thanks for the help, next step was a new filter lid at a 100.00! and then a service call. The leslie's guy also mentioned the Jandy valve could be sucking air. However, he didn't mention cleaning inlet which was the answer. Great post btw.
ROBERT2000000000

Low Pressure

Postby ROBERT2000000000 » Sat 21 May, 2011 21:55

Worked: removed the basket and used a small pick like tool and pulled just about 20 eucalyptus leaves from the inlet to the pump. didn't think that was causing the problem since it was just a few but then it worked and went from 10 psi to 17 psi. Leslies pool guy said it was probably an O ring on the cap, which cost me 33.00 to replace and which did nothing, but that could be an issue if it is sucking air as well. also, be sure and add lubricant.

Thanks for the help, next step was a new filter lid at a 100.00! and then a service call. The leslie's guy also mentioned the Jandy valve could be sucking air. However, he didn't mention cleaning inlet which was the answer. Great post btw.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Low Pressure

Postby czechmate » Sun 22 May, 2011 09:22

[quote="ROBERT2000000000"]Worked: removed the basket and used a small pick like tool and pulled just about 20 eucalyptus leaves from the inlet to the pump. didn't think that was causing the problem since it was just a few but then it worked and went from 10 psi to 17 psi.

Interesting summary. So 20 leaves got past your pump strainer basket and the fact alone did not alarm you?
If these were small pebbles your impeller bit the dust.
From all the baskets used in return lines the one at the pump is the last line of defence, thus most important!
Michaelk

Low Pressure

Postby Michaelk » Sat 04 Jun, 2011 21:17

My Hayward 60 filter is almost always 8-10psi, until I have to backwash, then the psi will normally rise. After cleaning the filter and adding new DE, the psi was at the usual 8psi, however recently, I've noticed very low (2-3) psi. I've tried most of the remedies listed and didn't find any debris blocking the impeller (I clean the skimmer and pump baskets daily). I do notice some DE backing-up into the pump basket however. I'm abit paranoid to take the pump apart. The pressure will rise to the normal 8-10 psi if I turn the pump on then off a few time. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for this site... it has been very informative.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”