white foam on surface

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
South TX Poolguy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby South TX Poolguy » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 20:36

Omni makes a line of anti foaming agents.
omnipool dotcom

See if there is a dealer near you.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:13

Using your test kit, please post a full set of numbers so we can see where you are at.

That way we can give real advice rather than guessing.
Pool hater

Foam

Postby Pool hater » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:15

I only open my pool when my children visit me. The water was clear as could be. I added the start up programme ( no Algicide) Then, today, after a thunderstorm Foam started up. Having had this problem a couple of years ago and a fairly strong acid water did the trick I checked the PH, and adjusted it. My pool products provider said it was caused by Algi. So I added a little algicide. Now it is worse and seems to be coming out, direct from the filter,.in great clouds The main thing is Is it dangerous for my grandchldren to swim in it? As everyone remarks the water under the foam is clear.

Anyone know any magic cure?
Pool hater

Foam

Postby Pool hater » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:16

I only open my pool when my children visit me. The water was clear as could be. I added the start up programme ( no Algicide) Then, today, after a thunderstorm Foam started up. Having had this problem a couple of years ago and a fairly strong acid water did the trick I checked the PH, and adjusted it. My pool products provider said it was caused by Algi. So I added a little algicide. Now it is worse and seems to be coming out, direct from the filter,.in great clouds The main thing is Is it dangerous for my grandchldren to swim in it? As everyone remarks the water under the foam is clear.

Anyone know any magic cure?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:20

Chlorine is your magic cure. ;)

Using your test kit, please post a full set of numbers so we can see where your water is at.

That way we can give real advice rather than guessing.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:52

Regarding foaming when the pump is running, there are indeed several types of algaecides and one type, called linear quats, have an ingredient of "Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride" or similar compound and this type of algaecide, which is the least expensive, foams.

The better algaecide that doesn't foam is called PolyQuat (or polymer quat) and has an ingredient of "Poly{oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) Ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride}". It is more expensive, but does not foam and may be a more effective algaecide as well, though I don't have definitive data or user reports to conclusively confirm that. It is certainly a good algaecide for preventing algae, though not very good working against an existing algae bloom.

Another chemical you may see is "Polydimethyldiallyammonium Chloride" and that appears to mostly be used against pink slime which is actually a bacteria and not an algae.

Some algaecides contain copper and you should be careful when using them. Though copper is a very effective algaecide, it also has side effects in that it will precipitate out of solution at higher pH so a very common problem is to get this algaecide with copper in it and use it and then shock the pool with Cal-Hypo or chlorinating liquid (or bleach) and the water turns green (see this thread for one of many examples). The copper can also make blond hair get a green tinge.

Unfortunately, you really need to look at the ingredients since the names of the products do not usually indicate what is in them and many pool stores don't know.

Richard
Paquito

Omni pool info - South TX Poolguy

Postby Paquito » Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:30

I'm at their website, do you know the name of the product? I'm not sure if it is the LIQUID FLOCâ„¢ PLUS or the POOL SURFACE CLEANER. It may be another one, please detail.

Thanks the foam is driving me crazy and we have a birthday pool party on friday.

Thanks again.
paquito

Calcium Hardness Up

Postby paquito » Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:42

Not sure if Calcium Hardness Up will help the foam condition, if somebody knows, please let us know.

Thanks.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:58

If your calcium is very low (say, 50 ppm) then you can get more foaming. A Calcium Hardness (CH) level of 150 ppm or above should prevent foaming, if such foaming is coming from soap-like substances since the calcium will precipitate the soap preventing it from foaming.

Richard
txff636

Foam

Postby txff636 » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 14:45

I bought algaecide from Lowes and will never do it again, it's the same stuff Walmart sells( HTH )???? I have a 34000 gallon pool that I added the algaecide to, what a mistake foam every where. Finally I went and bought 6 bottles of spa defoamer dumped them all in and that did the trick. Hope it works for everyone else.
tahoe5

HTH Foam, slime

Postby tahoe5 » Fri 09 May, 2008 07:51

Hey txff636 or any others...did you get brown slime balls on the surface when using this hth product as well? I'll try the defoamer, thanks for the tip!
Nickthegrip

Same problem

Postby Nickthegrip » Wed 28 May, 2008 07:58

I too have the same problem - I'll try the defoamer and will buy better stuff next year.

I love the internet, lets me know there are other people out there with my problems :oops:
love my pool

foam

Postby love my pool » Sat 19 Jul, 2008 23:20

Well, it seems that I am not alone in my foam problem. Pool was absolutely perfect. Had to add more salt - let run for 24 hours - forgot to put saltwater generator back on -- week and 1/2 went by .... noticed some algae - turned generator back on .... dumped 3 gallons of algecide (HTH) and all hell broke loose ... foam for days on end .. now it is only doing when the generator is on ????? there is a slimy brown color when you push it all together ???? Water is still perfectly clear and no more algae, just light layer of foam. .... figured the sun would have burned it off by now ..... ??????? SUGGESTIONS ???
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 13:55

Inexpensive algaecide, known as linear quats, have a tendency to foam. You should not need to use an algaecide if you maintain proper chlorine levels and use chlorinating liquid or unscented bleach to shock if necessary. If you must use an alagecide, use PolyQuat 60. Though more expensive, it will not foam and is often more effective.

Eventually the algaecide will break down. If you shock with chlorine, it will break down faster.
gmcabee

White foam on surface

Postby gmcabee » Wed 06 May, 2009 21:51

I found this. I know my Alkalinity is way over the limit.

You pool's water is out of balance. Depending on what kind of structure it is will depend on your numbers you should have. Alkalinity, pH and calcium hardness level are different depending on what type of pool you have. Adding way too much algaecide causes foam too by the way! So that's most likey the cause thinking backwards about this.

Using a "foam away" product doesn't address what caused the foaming in the first place. Not too mention if your water is properly balanced and sanitized you don't need any of the other side products pool stores/web sites like to sell that are not really needed. Once you start using an anti foaming product you can never stop since your adding more TDS (Total dissolved solids) to your pools water that is making it foam to begin with. Creating a vicious cycle.
Source(s):
member of the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals.
Certified Service Technician - APSP
National Swimming Pool Foundation - Certfied Pool Operator
NSPF - Certified Educator
Owner of a warranty repair center for over 60+ hot tub manufactures

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”