white foam on surface

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
IreneLB

white foam on surface

Postby IreneLB » Sat 29 May, 2010 08:37

After doing research, most answers say, too much algaecide. But my local pool store said its an air leak causing it. I cant believe that when the foam leaves a thin green line in the skimmer. So I am going to try this product out for foam, its a BioGuard product but I'm sure others make it too. I used it last season and it worked. So far it hasnt this year, but I am a bit inpatient to wait it out. Good luck..

NJ FOAM

white foam on surface

Postby NJ FOAM » Sat 29 May, 2010 09:48

So I used SAMS club garbage algecide and I am in the same boat. PLEASE someone let me know what the answer is before I have to waste more money on fake solutions !!! Thanks
MJ

white foam on surface

Postby MJ » Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:48

White foam can be caused by 2 different situations.

1. There is an air leak in the system.

2. Cheap algicide, read instruction first some products must be shaken before being applied.

If you want to use an anti-foam contact a local janitor supply or chemical supply company, cleaning company and you can get the concentrated anti-foam product. Less than a capfull will knock out all of the foam from any size pool. If you keep your pool in good PH balance you will not encounter these problems but as well know it can happen. ZEP Manufacturing Co makes a good Anti-foam product 1-877-i buy zep (1-877-428-9937) after 15 years in the chemical business I have learned a few tricks to help with my pool.

MJ :thumbup:
Chrisssss1970

Re: white foam on surface

Postby Chrisssss1970 » Tue 24 May, 2011 13:48

paluther wrote:I have had the same kind of problem. I have been dipping mine out and wetting it with the hose. It almost looks like sop suds. Mine is just about cleared up.

Here is my problem and I am hoping someone has an answer. We just opened our pool a few days ago. We vacummed, added algaecide (I think I overdid it with way too much) and shocked. Changed the DE and started seeing white bubbles that turned to foam. I shocked it again. We have a 12x24 4 ft pool. We have been doing an exhange of water and have probably exchanged close to half the pool water already but still have the white foam on the surface. The water is clear under the foam. The foam dissipates when the filter is shut off.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Is it possible it is the DE leaking into the pool? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
[/quote]

I currently have the same problem. Make sure the lid to the pump is tight and there is water full to the top of the pump. You may need to change the o ring under the lid. Air is getting in.
Holdem

white foam on surface

Postby Holdem » Tue 31 May, 2011 20:50

I used a hose and sprayed foam into filter trap and scooped out with small strainer. It took 3-4 times but is clear now. very easy to guide the foam with hose.
sreeed

white foam on surface

Postby sreeed » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 20:52

If these products freeze the anti foam seems to seperate or become ineffective. Don't use it if you left it in the garage and it froze.

white foam on surface

Postby Guest » Fri 22 Jul, 2011 10:00

Yes i am having that problem right now as i type.. I put in alittle to much and i got the scum and bubbles.
I called the number on the bottle and they really didn't know as of now what to do. So i started filtering the water all day and i got in with a hand scimmer and kept scimming it off. Than i would turn off the filter and let it all go away and start it back up and repeat the scimming. Now i have very little scum or suds on the water so i think i figured it out all by myself. lol

I have a 12 by 24 54 inches. I don't think i put more than maybe 6 oz more than i should. I think running the filter and scimming it out is the best way to go. Using other chemicals with what you already have might make things alot worse.

Hope this helps because i know i was very upset when this happen to me. I have had a pool for over 20 years and never had this to happen.
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

white foam on surface

Postby cpo2go » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 14:00

It seems that there are quite a few people who have been having this same problem...

Here is what I recommend:

Use a combination of an 'oil & scum' remover of which there are several good ones available. I like a few different companies: Sea Klear, United Chemical and All-Clear. I have had success with all of these.

Secondly, if needed, try a chelating or sequestering agent. Of these, I don't like naming a specific brand but, I've had success with something called X-treme Clean.

After using the sequestering agent you will need to clean the filter, either in a few days or when the pressure rises 7-8 PSI from the starting pressure.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
GPM

foam on pool

Postby GPM » Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:15

June wrote:I'd be interested to see replies for this too. We have had a pool for 14 years and this has never happened to us before.
kjqinjiang
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 56m long 6m wide

white foam on surface

Postby kjqinjiang » Thu 01 Sep, 2011 02:44

White foam can be caused by 2 different situations.

1. There is an air leak in the system.

2. Cheap algicide, read instruction first some products must be shaken before being applied.

If you want to use an anti-foam contact a local janitor supply or chemical supply company, cleaning company and you can get the concentrated anti-foam product. Less than a capfull will knock out all of the foam from any size pool. If you keep your pool in good PH balance you will not encounter these problems but as well know it can happen. ZEP Manufacturing Co makes a good Anti-foam product 1-877-i buy zep (1-877-428-9937) after 15 years in the chemical business I have learned a few tricks to help with my pool

-----------------------------------------------------------
adam cues
pool stick
joss pool cue
Foamy in NY

white foam on surface

Postby Foamy in NY » Sat 18 May, 2013 04:44

Have the same problem with the HTP product. Used 2 bottles from last year to open my pool and now it looks like a dirty bathtub. Sooooo annoying!

white foam on surface

Postby Guest » Sat 25 May, 2013 21:03

I had foam in my new saltwater pool only when my salt generator was on auto or on. If I turned my salt off but left my pump on there was no foam. After doing many hours of research I finally fixed my foam problem. Every pool place I called even the Hayward help line all told me the same thing. '' you must have a chemical imbalance''. My chems were a little off but nothing alarming. After finding this post online I realized that I had air getting into my system. It was hard for me to believe because why would I only get foam when my salt was generating chlorine and I did not see any leaks. The answer is because when air is mixed with water and chlorine it forms a white foam. To fix this problem you need to check your pump. If you see the water splashing around in your pump you have air getting in there. You should only see a few small air bubbles, that is considered normal. (you should not see water splashing around in your pump). Even if you don't see water leaking from the intake pipe that goes into your pump you still need to unscrew it. Turn your pump off and unscrew the connection and make sure the connection is clean, tighten everything up and turn your pump back on. Also, google how to check for air in your pool pump was very helpful. I hope this helps anyone having the same problem as me, as this was driving me crazy and I am glad it's fixed. My pool is crystal clear now and foam free.
samlewis
I'm new here
I'm new here

white foam on surface

Postby samlewis » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 03:00

I am going to instal Disabled baths in my new house. Aftter reading your post there are few queries get place in my mind and like to know the solution.
1. Is such foam also generate on the bathtubs? Or if yes what is the best solution for it that become cheap or time consuming.
2. Is there another option for comfort bath. Specially kids If yes share the bathtub images and name with their benefits.
BrianS

white foam on surface

Postby BrianS » Mon 26 May, 2014 08:32

I opened my pool , shocked and algacided it a week ago. When I back washed it this weekend. I got that white foam. I had added a little more choline. I quickly removed the choline tablet I had put in the skimmer and this morning the foam is gone. I think over chorinating and air in the filter caused my problem. At least that's what I'm hoping
Johan

Re: white foam on surface

Postby Johan » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 00:26

:eh: foam in pool surface

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”