New pool owner, trying to understand how things work

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
JimW
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayward inground, 13500 gal, Hot tube attached. Believe there are 2 water features. water fall and a water fountain. Has a heater but looks like the heater is shot.

New pool owner, trying to understand how things work

Postby JimW » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 00:04

I just bought a home that has an inground pool, I know very little about pools and I'm learning as I go. For the pool its about 13500 gallons.
there is a hot tub and 2 water features, a waterfall (rocks) and a fountain. For the equipment, I have a Hayward filter (four filter Barral) Mine has 8 filters, there is a separator between the filters. (I do not know if the 1 filter is better or not but the 2 shorts are easier to clean)
I have 2 pumps, one operates the main jets in the hot tub and the pop up cleaners and is used for the main filter. The other pump seems to turn on and off the Waterfall feature and I believe I have a manual valve I can open/close to control the amount of water going over the water falls.
On the Hayward control panel I have the option to turn on the water fountain and I can see the side port for this feature but when I turn it on it does nothing. Any ideas? It does show ON on the display but it is not flowing. I am not sure what pump it runs off and when I turn it on neither pump comes on. Lastly I do have a pool heater but it leaks quite a lot and it might be time for a new heater but I'm not ready to pull that trigger yet. Incase it does not show, I'm in Gilbert Az. so now would be a good time to have a heated pool but guessing that season is short here.

thank you for looking.

jim

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: New pool owner, trying to understand how things work

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 08:03

Jim, does the pump hum at all when you try to turn it on?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
JimW
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayward inground, 13500 gal, Hot tube attached. Believe there are 2 water features. water fall and a water fountain. Has a heater but looks like the heater is shot.

Postby JimW » Tue 19 Mar, 2024 09:31

No it does not, the display changes from Off to On but nothing actually turns on. With the waterfall running (that pump on) and with the filter pump also on and running, I tried to turn on the fountain and nothing comes on? Guessing its a valve position maybe that is preventing it but I cant seem to figure out what one.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 20 Mar, 2024 05:06

Which pump is the fountain connected to? Yes sounds like you're going to have to work your way through the valves.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
JimW
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JimW » Wed 27 Mar, 2024 21:54

valve.png
valve.png (527.75 KiB) Viewed 90 times

I believe this is the valve that is not working for the fountain. Any idea where I can get a new one of these?

jim
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 28 Mar, 2024 01:37

Thats a solenoid valve, a garden/farm irrigation supplier might be a good place to start.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”