Building into existing rebar, shotcrete

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
Robertcac*
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Beach entry. Middle 4.5 feet. Slope 1:3 entry.

Building into existing rebar, shotcrete

Postby Robertcac* » Sun 28 Jan, 2024 23:47

Pool structure question for anyone with experience or knowledge on it. Steep beach entry slope, 1:3 slope. If a platform were to be added to raise up the slope on one side to level entry out some to create a ramp, how structurally sound would it be? It would be connected to the current shotcrete with drill and pin to the steel and then shot with more shotcrete. It would probably be solid shotcrete but could also be sand bag if needed. Pool builder feels it would be structurally sound either way. Is this correct? Would it void any original shotcrete warranty? Thanks for any knowledge on this.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Building into existing rebar, shotcrete

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 29 Jan, 2024 03:37

Is there any waranty left on the original work?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
chikara
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Building into existing rebar, shotcrete

Postby chikara » Sat 16 Mar, 2024 04:49

In my experience, adding a platform to a pool with a steep beach entry can be structurally sound if done correctly. The key is ensuring proper integration with the existing shotcrete. Drilling and pinning to the steel, followed by additional shotcrete, is a common method for such modifications and typically provides good structural integrity. However, whether it’s solid shotcrete or sandbags, the materials and technique must be compatible with the existing structure. Regarding warranties, modifications can affect them. It’s essential to review the original warranty terms and consult with the shotcrete provider. Any structural change could potentially void a warranty if it alters the initial design or load calculations. Always best to get a professional assessment and approval before proceeding

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”