Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
mcmike4817
I'm new here
I'm new here

Caulk between coping and deck

Postby mcmike4817 » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 21:41

What is a fair price to pay (per foot) for new caulking to be installed between brick coping and my cement pool deck? There is a 1/2" gap between the two surfaces with backer rod already in place.

Mike

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 22:53

A goat and 2 rabbits is going price in Montana.
That is, if the pool has been drained.
Working looking down the whole time and on your knees, will cost you an extra goat.
Of course the prices vary widely by the state. :lol:
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby superdoopie » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 20:04

In Southeastern PA we charge 8.25 per linear foot including material which is about $200. The company I work for is a high end pool builder so we are pricey. Like czechmate said, it is a crappy job crawling around the whole time and the material is a pain to work with. If you drizzle any material on the coping or deck it is almost impossible to remove. So most DIY jobs are obviously botched. Also just because you have the foam in the gap doesn't mean you don't need more backer rod. Make sure there are absolutely no gaps that will allow the liquid through. If you get a "sinkhole" you'll waste a lot of material and time. Can you tell this is one of my favorite jobs?
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:15

Apology is due on my side, since I have misread the question in the fist place.
I was referring to the gap between a beam and cool deck on the vertical side.
And the joke was generated mostly by the fact, that it is a lousy place to work on and also that any pool owner should be able to do it himself. It is a caulking job!!
Responding to your quote, it seems pricey, since that is like a charge for a linear foot of laid tile, which is a lot more demanding and specialized type of work.
Also, the 200 dollars will buy less then 8 foot diameter round pool seal.
superdoopie
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby superdoopie » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 20:33

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to Deck o Seal. A self leveling mastik that goes between the pool coping and concrete deck. One box of the stuff covers about 30 linear feet depending on how deep the crevice is.
Longhorn

Postby Longhorn » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 15:05

In Austin, Texas we charge $5.00 per lineal foot to remove and replace deck-o-seal.
Rich C

Postby Rich C » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 13:55

I have a 20 x 45 concrete and have received qotes of about $1000.

What is the best product to use for the gap between the pool wall/coping and the deck (pavers). Most have said a foam prodcut with 1/2 inch deep dec-o seal on top. Two contractors proposals have stated they will use a foam base with polymeric sand on top instaed of deck-o seal.
Any opinions/
Also, while the deck is being replaced, does it make sense to replace the skimmers, which are built into concrete, if they appear to be working with no leaks?

Thanks for your answers as this whole project worries me.
timthepoolguy

Postby timthepoolguy » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 21:15

I have found that deck o seal doesn't hold up well. I had my pool redone with (not sure of the spelling but I will write phonetically) seekoflex and it has held up great for several years. Again don't know if the spelling was right, but that's what they told me it was, and it has been terrific. No aging and always like new.
J & Z's Caulking

Postby J & Z's Caulking » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 01:30

Hey, answer to your question. Seka Flex is great around water. It is resistant against water and holds up way better than that deck O seal your talking about. You can buy it fairly cheep too. Pail, tubes, and sausages. If your gonna do it yourself I would go with tubes. Just cut, poke and shoot. Seka Flex is a polyurethane and that's what you want. I hope this helps you understand a little more. I have included a look more into Seka Flex. Prices may vary in different places. I am sure you have a major distributor of caulk like ken-seal or Jet-co or some place like that. If its concrete that your gonna caulk then most likely you want to try to match it. Limestone is a good color.

Hope it helps
msniknik

Postby msniknik » Thu 29 Sep, 2011 22:39

np2 is the best if its not submerged in the water
caulker

Postby caulker » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:32

I work for a service company and all I do is caulking been doing it for 6 years and we used np2 and have had alot of problems with it for the past 3 years we started using seaka flex and it has held up very well out of about 1500 pools I have caulked with it I have only replaced two of them! if u want good work at a cheap price leave me a # on here I could do the work!! wouldnt recmnd doing it yourself can be a messy job lol
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Thu 01 Dec, 2011 09:57

I have a pool that needs caulk in Greensboro Ga. can you help ?

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”