How do I filter the fine particles?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
maison 225

Postby maison 225 » Fri 25 May, 2012 12:13

I don't know if I should be pleased that fine dirt in swimmimg pools is so common, but at least I don't feel alone. Pool installed February 2012, we requested Zeolite instead of sand after reading great things about it on the web. We were given multi-action liquid to pour in once a week, and chlorine tablets for skimmer basket, Rev-Aqua is the brand name of the pack. Since then I have that Groundhog day feeling. Same dirt seems to be re-circulating, in fact is re-circulating proven by holding white tea-towel in front of jets while hoovering. No mean feat while working alone(!) I have called out the installers as I thought it was the Zeolite escaping - no, Zeolite is green granules, not the fine brown silt I have. Installers suggested something to make the dirt stick together in clumps, but have since discovered this is called a flocculant and interferes with efficacity of Zeolite...(my multi action liquid contains this). So I hoovered while filter turned to empty, thereby flooding next door neigbour's shed inadvertently. Repeated several times, filled up pool again several times....same problem, the fine dust is there the next day. I am considering borrowing 3 children to clamp sieves lined with tea towels against the jets for several hours while I hoover manically, everyone rewarded with Cornettos. I will let you know how we all get on.

jwhop3
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Foxx Inground Lagoon 14,000 gallons
PacFab Meteor Filter
Frog Inline Chlorinator

Postby jwhop3 » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:41

Two words - SLIME BAG!

No, I'm not calling you a slimebag, I''m telling you to call your pool supplier and ask if they carry Slime Bags. You want the Polishing Bag, if you can, get one for each return jet. Go to Lowe's and get a barbed connector that fits into the port where you usually screw in your return jet outlets, clamp the bag on, and sweep away, baby! Almost nothing gets through these things, except water of course. I got one last year and I absolutely SWEAR by it. I ordered a second one this year so I can double up on them while vacuuming.
maison 225

Postby maison 225 » Thu 31 May, 2012 08:07

Thank you so much. I will try and source on the internet as we are in France. I did put a skimmer sock on the end of the hoover nozzle which attaches into the side of the pool. It did collect some dirt, but again the finer stuff is getting back in through the jets.
Am going to double up on them to give 2 layers to filter the dust through. I think I am getting there, anything to avoid constantly washing awaythe pool water and re-filling.
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Postby rosalind » Fri 01 Jun, 2012 00:45

maison 225 wrote:I don't know if I should be pleased that fine dirt in swimmimg pools is so common, but at least I don't feel alone. Pool installed February 2012, we requested Zeolite instead of sand after reading great things about it on the web. We were given multi-action liquid to pour in once a week, and chlorine tablets for skimmer basket, Rev-Aqua is the brand name of the pack. Since then I have that Groundhog day feeling. Same dirt seems to be re-circulating, in fact is re-circulating proven by holding white tea-towel in front of jets while hoovering. No mean feat while working alone(!) I have called out the installers as I thought it was the Zeolite escaping - no, Zeolite is green granules, not the fine brown silt I have. Installers suggested something to make the dirt stick together in clumps, but have since discovered this is called a flocculant and interferes with efficacity of Zeolite...(my multi action liquid contains this). So I hoovered while filter turned to empty, thereby flooding next door neigbour's shed inadvertently. Repeated several times, filled up pool again several times....same problem, the fine dust is there the next day. I am considering borrowing 3 children to clamp sieves lined with tea towels against the jets for several hours while I hoover manically, everyone rewarded with Cornettos. I will let you know how we all get on.

Well, I recommend to follow this tips:
1.Clean and turn on the pump-filter system.
2. Use the plastic pitcher or bucket.
3. In this put small quantity of DE.
4. Bucket should be fill with water
5. Immediately move the bucket and abode over the water inlet to the filter-pump.
6.Take the filter out and wash it out with a spray hose and return filter and repeat process.
pdjsmith

Postby pdjsmith » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 16:19

Sounds like you were having the same problem I had, it wasn't that the zeolite doesn't work it is because it comes in granules that is the problem.
In my case when it was when I pushed down on the valve handle to change from recycle to filter it allowed some of these floating zeolite granules to float up and wedge in the valve holding it open and allowing the silt from the pool to completely bypass the filter and head straight back into the pool.
The filter looks and acts completely normal after this except it doesn't work, you have to take the valve apart and remove the stuck granules and after that all will hopefully be well.
In my case it was a bit of a give away that there was a scraping feel to the valve when I operated it, in hindsight it should have been obvious what had happened with the granules stuck in there. The filter has been working like magic ever since.
An important tip for me was never operate the valve while the pump is running :P
John LeBrun

Postby John LeBrun » Fri 25 Jan, 2013 12:02

I filled my "sand" filter with zeolite about 11 months ago. Prior to this, using the usal water treatment precautions, the pool water had always remained clear with very few growths of algae. I spent last summer treating the water for algae and dust which settled on the bottom nearly on a weekly basis. The winter cover was installed in late October, but as usual I uncovered it now, late January, to give it a winter clean and get rid of dead leaves that sneak under the cover in windy periods. Much to my surprise the water was green with algae. So much so that I could not see the bottom (1.5 metres deep) of the pool. The algae could be partially shifted with a brush but appeared to have gone into the pool paint.

Filling the filter with zeolite was a costly mistake. I would suggest to empty the filter and use correct, unadulterated, plain filter sand. You'll not get fine dust, algae and such problems and the water will remain clearer
Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Tue 28 May, 2013 14:35

How do I remove zeo dust from my pool? I did not backwasch long enough after installing new zeo. Cant seem to remove the white milky paste.
Is there a chemical for this?
HELP???

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”