Pool got cloudy after shocking

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
cantwait2swim

Postby cantwait2swim » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 08:51

Same thing happened to our pool. Took water sample in to our local pool place here in NJ and 2 people ahead of us had the very same problem!!! He said there is an overwhelming amount of people coming in this year with cloudy water (looks like tropical water from distance). He said we had Nitrate block. We needed to over shock it to break the block. We could either throw extra amounts (3x's?) of super shock every 3 hrs until clear, or we could throw in all at once 15 gals (for our size pool- 15,000 gal) of liquid chlorine. We chose the latter, didnt feel like going out every 3 hrs. OMG!!! It was noticeably dif. within 2 hrs by 4hrs we could see the bottom and the next morning crystal clear!!! Dont be alarmed to see foam on top of water at first. Hope this helps

This really works

Postby This really works » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:56

Had the same problem after a storm(GREEN POOL). All tests were fine. Read this and took the advice. What I did. Which cleared it in ONE hour. Backwashed and rinsed twice. Turned filter back to filter setting. Added one pint of CLORAX. Job done!!! Good luck to you all. By the way, we live in the Carribean.
This Really Works

Postby This Really Works » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:59

Sorry. Forgot to mention. Added CLORAX directly into skimmer. Good luck all!
zoombroom

Postby zoombroom » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 13:41

:mrgreen: :shock: :)
dger

Postby dger » Thu 18 Aug, 2011 19:15

After trying the shock, clarifier, vacuuming and backwashing, I still had cloudy water. Then I used a "phosphate remover" and I had clear water the next day.
John75

Postby John75 » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 19:08

Hi Conrad! Have you read this guide about pool water filtration and chemicals at www.indoorpoolguide.com/filtration-systems and www.indoorpoolguide.com/water-chemicals
SCVPoolGuy

Postby SCVPoolGuy » Fri 18 May, 2012 22:49

cantwait2swim wrote:Same thing happened to our pool. Took water sample in to our local pool place here in NJ and 2 people ahead of us had the very same problem!!! He said there is an overwhelming amount of people coming in this year with cloudy water (looks like tropical water from distance). He said we had Nitrate block. We needed to over shock it to break the block. We could either throw extra amounts (3x's?) of super shock every 3 hrs until clear, or we could throw in all at once 15 gals (for our size pool- 15,000 gal) of liquid chlorine. We chose the latter, didnt feel like going out every 3 hrs. OMG!!! It was noticeably dif. within 2 hrs by 4hrs we could see the bottom and the next morning crystal clear!!! Dont be alarmed to see foam on top of water at first. Hope this helps

This is the best answer so far. Nitrate block isn't the problem, it's chloramines that are the problem. With high nitrate levels = the pool needs to be drained. Check http://www.poolwizard.net/problems/chloramines.htm for more info.
degrbi

Postby degrbi » Wed 30 May, 2012 08:11

This winter was very mild here and nothing really froze. When I uncovered the pool, it looked as good as it ever had. I put in shock, liquid, and then it went cloudy. I have tried adjusted my pH, clarifiers, I even changed the sand in the filter. Nobody has any ideas at the pool place.
Levels:
Chlorine 6.02
pH 7.6
Total Alkalinity 170
Calcium 75

Postby Guest » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 19:51

If you shock your and it tested normal and it is still green can I ask if you have well water ? Cause if you do that is a common problem let your pool store know you do if that is the case and they have something you can add to take care of the problem
dio

Postby dio » Sun 01 Jul, 2012 12:40

try pool clarifyer it is the easiest and most affordable solution
Judy Thornburg

Postby Judy Thornburg » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 14:05

did this work? I had green water,so I have shocked ,shocked and shocked,now it is white cloudy,my PH keeps getting low because of the shock eating it I think.I am going to raise this PH today and use sink and swim this pm and run for 3 hrs and turn off overnite.I am at my whits end trying to clear this pool to cover.I have a constance blattle keeping the leaves out with the weather turning cooler.I vacumed it this am and have been backwashing sometimes twice a day.I have worked on this pool daily since last week.Please let me know if the sink and swim worked. thanks Judy
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:03

If your pool's circulation or filtration is poor, then using a clarifier such as GLB Clear Blue can help clear it faster by consolidating particles so they caught in the filter. If your circulation is so poor that water simply isn't getting circulated, then IF you can vacuum-to-waste (such as most pools with sand filters), then you can use a flocculant instead such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus or GLB Drop 'N Vac.
Hemingrw

Postby Hemingrw » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:08

Pool was green. I added algecide and now its cloudy blue color. I took a water sample to the pool place and they stated that I needed a clarifier and sold me a bottle along with chlorine shock. I have treated the pool twice with the clarifier and shocked the pool 3 times and still cloudy.....anyone have any suggestions?
calvin

Postby calvin » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 23:24

From green to blue works great for above ground pools! 1st add shock bag l, them add shock bag LL run pump 1 hour turn off after 1 hour! Let sit overnight. :D Vacuum next day! Vacuum by backwash meaning let water run out using intake hose crystal.clear.bag ll is the flock, brown n color!
billypcs

Postby billypcs » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 20:22

I had exactly the same... green walls...chocked it...turned cloudy.
After research, and a lot of vacuuming, I found out that you first need to balance the alkalinity. It should be 100-120 ppm. second raise the PH to 7.2 to 7.8. That's about it.
It is also recommendable to dissolve the chlor in a large bucket and pour it in the skimmer, always with the pump running for a few hours. Try not to let the inert particles in the skimmer. Discard those. they will only burden the filter. Remember to open and clean the filter, if the pool was too green.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”