Pool got cloudy after shocking

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Judy Thornburg

Postby Judy Thornburg » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 14:05

did this work? I had green water,so I have shocked ,shocked and shocked,now it is white cloudy,my PH keeps getting low because of the shock eating it I think.I am going to raise this PH today and use sink and swim this pm and run for 3 hrs and turn off overnite.I am at my whits end trying to clear this pool to cover.I have a constance blattle keeping the leaves out with the weather turning cooler.I vacumed it this am and have been backwashing sometimes twice a day.I have worked on this pool daily since last week.Please let me know if the sink and swim worked. thanks Judy

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:03

If your pool's circulation or filtration is poor, then using a clarifier such as GLB Clear Blue can help clear it faster by consolidating particles so they caught in the filter. If your circulation is so poor that water simply isn't getting circulated, then IF you can vacuum-to-waste (such as most pools with sand filters), then you can use a flocculant instead such as OMNI Liquid Floc Plus or GLB Drop 'N Vac.
Hemingrw

Postby Hemingrw » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 03:08

Pool was green. I added algecide and now its cloudy blue color. I took a water sample to the pool place and they stated that I needed a clarifier and sold me a bottle along with chlorine shock. I have treated the pool twice with the clarifier and shocked the pool 3 times and still cloudy.....anyone have any suggestions?
calvin

Postby calvin » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 23:24

From green to blue works great for above ground pools! 1st add shock bag l, them add shock bag LL run pump 1 hour turn off after 1 hour! Let sit overnight. :D Vacuum next day! Vacuum by backwash meaning let water run out using intake hose crystal.clear.bag ll is the flock, brown n color!
billypcs

Postby billypcs » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 20:22

I had exactly the same... green walls...chocked it...turned cloudy.
After research, and a lot of vacuuming, I found out that you first need to balance the alkalinity. It should be 100-120 ppm. second raise the PH to 7.2 to 7.8. That's about it.
It is also recommendable to dissolve the chlor in a large bucket and pour it in the skimmer, always with the pump running for a few hours. Try not to let the inert particles in the skimmer. Discard those. they will only burden the filter. Remember to open and clean the filter, if the pool was too green.
gregg

Re: Pool got cloudy after shocking

Postby gregg » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 10:27

When I shock after my pool turns swampy green the water usually turns cloudy blue, almost like smoky.
After a few days it starts to clear and has always righted itself by 10 days. I have learned to be patient btw. :thumbup:
Greg G
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 19:35

Going from green to cloudy is much faster usually within hours if one adds sufficient chlorine. This is because the chlorine reacts with the chlorophyll to essentially bleach out the color. What takes longer is to physically remove the now dead algae as that requires circulation/filtration which can be slow in some pools, especially those with sand filters. If the algae is not well clumped, then for faster filtration one can Add DE to a Sand Filter.

The use of clarifiers or flocculants should not be necessary and if you aren't careful using them they can make the problem worse especially if they are overdosed.
joni1

Postby joni1 » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 05:11

I use floc sometimes when I see "floaties" in front of the pool light. Only problem is that I have to vac a couple of times after.
rojan

Postby rojan » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 03:23

Wow!!
I added half a cup of DE and my pool sparkled in less than a day. I can't believe I spent weeks trying to get it right with lots of dumb chems. I won't be going back to my old pool supply store and that's a fact.
Thank you for the help on the forum.
Roj@n
DaleneHodges
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DaleneHodges » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 01:39

Thanks for the solution.
truckerirish

Postby truckerirish » Sun 11 Jun, 2017 17:10

we are on well water which is very hard and has alot of iron and calcium so I use a 1/2 bottle of the metal mineral stuff and it really seems to help I've also learned not to use anything with calcium in it I put it in pool after adjusting ph level and before adding liquid shock hope this helps.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”