My Pool Won't Hold Chlorine!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
Chris602

Postby Chris602 » Wed 15 May, 2013 17:10

One thing I noticed when peoples pools have problems holding chlorine is some people add the wrong kinds of algecides that contain bad metals like silver based that will throw the chlorine out. Most people who use the don't read the instructions and dumb a whole bottle in or multiable bottles in that will just ruin your water and your pool will never hold chlorine longer than 2 days so if u added tons of algecides and are having this problem the best fix is to drain and fill your pool with free water and not use them then just add proper amount of stabilizer and you should be fine. I'm in AZ and we have to keep our stabilizer at 100 if we kept them at 50 or 60 the pools in AZ would not hold chlorine so we have to keep ours higher than most states cause are average temp in summer is 110-117

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 15 May, 2013 21:49

This is a very old thread. As for Arizona, yes having the CYA level be higher is needed to protect the chlorine from breakdown from the UV in sunlight. If you want to prevent algae growth with chlorine alone, then the FC should be at least 7.5% of the CYA level. This is independent of phosphate level. If your phosphate level is low, you can get away with a lower FC. Even 10 ppm FC with 100 ppm CYA has the same active chlorine level as 3 ppm FC with 30 ppm CYA or 0.1 ppm FC with no CYA so is not harsh at all. It's a lower active chlorine level than found in most indoor commercial/public pools that don't use CYA.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”