cloudy water

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
60,000 gallon pool

cloudy water

Postby 60,000 gallon pool » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 15:50

cloudy water daily after swimmers swim?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

cloudy water

Postby chem geek » Tue 27 Jul, 2010 18:30

If it's a lot of swimmers, it's most likely suntan lotion and other products the swimmers are bringing into the pool. Not too much that can be done for this except possibly using enzymes or supplemental oxidation products (i.e. non-chlorine shock aka MPS) though they won't prevent the water from getting cloudy in the first place, but may help clear it a bit faster. Chlorine alone should clear it up; a clarifier can help if you are impatient.

Another possibility is that the Free Chlorine (FC) level is getting too low relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level though I assume you are testing the FC regularly during high bather load and keeping the FC up. If your FC is less than 7.5% of the CYA level, then oxidation of bather waste will be slow. In a commercial/public pool or one with high bather load, I'd recommend an FC that is 20% of the CYA level to have fast enough oxidation of bather waste, but still not be over-chlorinating as this is equivalent to an FC of 0.2 ppm with no CYA.
need help

cloudy water

Postby need help » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 08:33

I am overseeing a pool that is 275,000 gals and we keep a balanced pool well accordig to the langelier stauration index. We are having a paint problem we think. The paint or something is coming off in the water esp with high bather load and making the pool very cloudy. any suggestions?
dalehileman

cloudy water

Postby dalehileman » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 11:34

Hi 66,000: For what it's worth I've also found an infusion of pH Plus causes cloudiness requiring days for my sand filter to dispel. However I run it only 3 hours a day--dalehileman@35,000
Poolnoob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 40,000 gallons, in ground

cloudy water

Postby Poolnoob » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 18:51

Hi, needhelp,

This is a pretty confusing. But I will give it a shot. Let's say the paint is coming off, does it fall to the bottom? Does the paint form a sort of suspention in the pool? Also, with more people swimming in the pool there is also a higher possibility of bathers urinating in the pool. Another effect is that with more bathers comes more bacteria, sweat, and all of that icky stuff. Have you noticed any pH spikes or drops when lots of people come in the pool? Have you needed to add chlorine in very large amounts recently?

Hope I ca help,
PN
swimfit
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

cloudy water

Postby swimfit » Thu 25 Nov, 2010 02:35

If this is being observed only after the swimming activities of a number of swimmers, it might be due to skin applications like lotion or creams applied. This can result in a creamy appearance.
Poolnoob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 40,000 gallons, in ground

cloudy water

Postby Poolnoob » Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:26

Is there a way to make the pool seem less creamy without dumping chlorine or a chemical to clear the pool??
fahavi
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: none

cloudy water

Postby fahavi » Mon 06 Dec, 2010 07:52

I never heard about that yet. They usually put a chlorine to clean a pool always. And if we can imagine without putting chemicals in it, do you think that your pool is safe? The pool always need sanitation to ensure the safety of the swimmer and we use chemical to sanitize it.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”