Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Fix

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Deb121
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Deb121 » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 17:28

We just got an 8110 as a replacement for the newer model 6110 that is suppose to be the 2007 unit. The 6110 was a hassel and I had to babysit it to get it to work any. We never could it it to properly work so Intex replaced it. Since they were out of the 6110 they sent us the 8110. So far its worked. I'm very leary needless to say after reading these posts. I hope I'm not going to have the same problem with the error 91. I surely will hollar at Intex if I do.

kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 17:30

To edjones72,
I am not an electrical person can you tell me which 2 wires go the others that you mentioned. There is a black and white going to the cell, then there is a red and black from the incoming voltage. Which one goes to the white and which one goes to the black of the cell connectors. Please reply asap as I am not generating any chlorine for a week now. Thank you !
kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 17:48

Another posting said the transformer was determined to be bad, I would like to know how you made that determination...my transfomer seems very warm and I didn't even have it running today but it was plugged in.
Did Intex sell you another transformer and how much was it?
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

8110 fix

Postby edjones72 » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 20:04

To Kenwwod: imagine the screw contacts were numbered 1-4 starting at the bottom, You would move wire 4 to 3 and move wire 1 to 2. You will end up with two wires attached to contact 2 and 3. This bypasses the circuit board and allows the DC current to flow straight to the cell ALL THE TIME WHEN THE UNIT IS PLUGGED IN SO don't leave it on too long without waterflow. The unit will still come on and the LED will still lite up but there is no reason to turn the switch on. From my testing, the transformer is energized all the time when the unit is plugged in just out of the box so this is not a big change. You can check the cell to see it working by plugging it in and waiting 30-60 seconds then turn the filter pump on. You should see a lot of bubbles coming out of the return line into the pool briefly. You can also take the left side hose off while holding the 8110 up on end. With pool water over the cell, plug the unit in. You should see the bubbling and white chlorine being produced at the end of the cell and smell the chlorine. The other slight concern I had was the unit cannot auto clean the cell when wired this way. I found the plug on the cell can fit on both ways so I reverse it occasionally. I have not tried to figure out if one polarity produces more chlorine in comparison to the other. To understand the concept behind the 8110, you can make chlorine with a 9V battery, 2 old spoons, 2 pieces of wire, a drinking glass, and some salt water. It's pretty cool! Let me know if you have any more questions. Make sure it's unplugged before rewiring. It's DC but it can still hurt you.
kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 07:50

Thank you edjones for replying, I originally tried that connection but it tripped my GFI outlet it was plugged into so I figured that was wrong. Then I very temporarily tried it the opposite way and it didn't trip the GFI but now my unit is completely dead. Nothing at all works, I even tried to put everything back to original positions and the unit is still dead. I checked the voltage coming out of the x-former to the white and black wires on the rectifier stack but I get nothing where before I was getting something. I'm stuck trying to decide whether to invest in another one with the suspicions it might end up failing again in 15 months like mine or buying another make. I saw a unit called Chlorease that just hangs in the pool but has no high/low salt detectors on it. I prefer the Intex version which does not hang in the pool but now I don't know what to do.
Thank you for your reply and if you have any other suggestions how I can revive mine I would appreciate it. Thanks again
I'm checking everyday as my pool is dying a slow death
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

intex 8110

Postby edjones72 » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:49

To Kenwood: I don't know why that would have tripped your GFI. That sounds like you may have a short somewhere that may have cost you your transformer. How does your cell look? If there were a short across your cell like heavy corrosion or debris it would definitely trip the breaker when wired this way. I don't know if the transformer itself has a fuse. I have not removed that cover. I would check your cell and clean if needed. Then I would take the cover off the transformer and look for a fuse making sure the unit is unplugged. Let me know what you find.
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

intex 8110 alternative

Postby edjones72 » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 15:37

Kenwood mentioned the Chlorease model that hangs over the side. They also make a model (CL-03) that is an inline model that I am looking into. It is listed as an inground model but one website listed it as IG or AG. The cheapest I have seen it for is $452. It has a 5 year warranty and appears user friendly. I'm going to keep watching it to see if prices start to fall as the season comes to a close.
kenwood

8110 chlorine generator

Postby kenwood » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 06:55

edjones72 - The puzzling part is my cell has been clean all along, I took it out and soaked it in vinegar and water anyway per Intex suggestion - no white residue at all and still got the 91 error. The x-former is a sealed component inside the housing with no in line fuse which I was looking for.
I just dumped a gallon of chlorine in my pool which is now crystal clear again, will use that for the balance of the summer then weigh my options again next spring. I am also going to write Intex but not expecting any big results from them which is a shame. Thanks again
edjones72
I'm new here
I'm new here

intex 8110

Postby edjones72 » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 11:22

Kenwood: Another radical idea that might buy you some time is using the existing cell with another DC power source. When I was testing my cell, I used my battery charger. If you have a battery charger you could connect it to the cell with the existing plug attached to the charger somehow. Also, a 12V transformer with a fairly high amp rating would probably surprise you. I would not go out and buy anything too expensive but if you already had these items it would be worth trying.
densvxer

Another Intex 6110 / 8110 Victim?

Postby densvxer » Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:52

I read through all the posts, I too purchased a 6110 that I could not get to operate in April 2007, so Intex sent us a 8110 replacement.... I actually had less problems with the code 91 then most seem to have experienced....

My problem is a bit different now though, When I turn the 8110 on, the digital display comes on "88" and the green led illuminates. I program the cycle for 1 hour as I am using this on a small above ground spa-n-a-box. After about 10 minutes the cycle starts and within a second or so the display goes out, the green led goes out and then the yellow led goes out and the unit seems completely dead. Turning off the power switch and turning it back on does not cause the unit to come back on !!! But if I unplug the unit and plug it back in and then it will come on again using the power switch. I called Intex as the unit is under warranty, they sent me a replacement 8110 which I installed last night only to have the same results occur. I guess I will call Intex again today and see what they have to say..... Anybody else have any ideas? DENSVXER in Littleton,CO
densvxer

WHat Intex said today

Postby densvxer » Fri 14 Sep, 2007 20:44

Intex has me sending it back for yet another unit grrrr Any thoughts on my delemma? Thanks Todd in Littleton
shelcan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low salt Error

Postby shelcan » Sun 16 Sep, 2007 22:15

Like everybody else, my Intex 8110 started giving me the low salt error after about 5 months of use. I called Intex and they sent me a replacement, so hopefully it wil last longer, but I do not have high hopes. I tried adjusting the resistor on my old one, but that did not help, so I tried wiring it directly as suggested by a previous post, but this ended up frying my transformer, so now it does not work at all....oh well, it was worth a try...If my replacement one goes out, I am abandoning the Intex brand and I guess I'll either try another one or just go back to chlorine. Thanks to everybody for supplying the fixes that worked for them, but unfortunately it looks like nobody has found the magic fix for all of them yet
DTD

Intex chlorine Generator problems

Postby DTD » Tue 09 Oct, 2007 18:03

I am on my second unit and the thing just quit. The problem seems to be in the timing mechanism as I was able to jumper the pump motor directly from the switch and it pumps fine. If I can figure out what DC voltage the generator requires I will direct wire it as well. ANYONE KNOW THE DC VOLTAGE REQUIRED.
Great Pool.......Terrible Pump/Generator. Wonder if Lucas does their electronics??
kenwood

8110 generator

Postby kenwood » Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:24

A follow-up....I wrote a lengthy but somewhat cordial letter to Intex about my failed salt generator but as expected I got no reply or even an acknowledgement back on it. Needless to say they are not very customer related friendly and it's a shame as their pool and most accessories are great products but they fail to see that this salt generator is a lemon. I even invited them in the letter to visit this web site and read the blog's on this unit. I guess it's back to the drawing board or dare say chlorine method.
Bronco_Guy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Error 91

Postby Bronco_Guy » Tue 25 Dec, 2007 20:07

Hi all,

I am on my 2nd 8110 after Intex replaced the first unit i sent back. I'd have to say, they both pretty much followed the same failure behavior: first intermittant errors 91, then a constant error 91. Neither cleaning the plates nor addition of salt to the pool had any effect with either unit.

I was wondering if any of you have new information for correcting this problem, or success using any of the suggestions by others with the same problems.

I, like many of you, are disappointed and a little ticked off at the unreliability of this product. I will say, though, it was priced competetively when I bought it. Had I known this unit was a complete POS, I would have kicked a couple of more bills in for a better unit.

Thanks for any replies, and good luck if you own one of these things.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”