Calcium deposit on my tiles

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
sscouple

Calcium deposit on my tiles

Postby sscouple » Sun 04 Nov, 2007 17:19

We just purchased a home with a pool in terrible shape....couldn't see 6 inches. We drained it and acid washed it (had it done by a not completely competant pool guy). He scrubbed the bottom of the pool, which is nice and white. The sides are still pea-green (he didn't use the gel muratic acid). The calcium build-up on the tiles is pretty thick. I used a pumice stone to clean them....I used ONE stone for TWO 6" tiles and about 15 minutes of elbow grease. Ok, I don't mind the elbow grease, but the pumice stones are about $3.00 appiece....hmmmm, that's about $1,000 worth of pumice. So I have two questions:

1) any better way to clean the calcium deposits?
2) what's the best way to clean the pea-green stain?

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Sun 04 Nov, 2007 18:51

We just purchased a home with a pool in terrible shape....couldn't see 6 inches. We drained it and acid washed it (had it done by a not completely competant pool guy). He scrubbed the bottom of the pool, which is nice and white. The sides are still pea-green (he didn't use the gel muratic acid). The calcium build-up on the tiles is pretty thick. I used a pumice stone to clean them....I used ONE stone for TWO 6" tiles and about 15 minutes of elbow grease. Ok, I don't mind the elbow grease, but the pumice stones are about $3.00 appiece....hmmmm, that's about $1,000 worth of pumice. So I have two questions:

1) any better way to clean the calcium deposits?
2) what's the best way to clean the pea-green stain?

when a acid-wash is done there is never any promise the pool plaster will look new or even alot better. The main reason is no one ever knows how deep the stains have gone into the plaster. When acid-washing plaster it only takes a thin layer off of the plaster. The green you see on the side walls is probably copper staining which happens from bad chemical balance & water hardness/metals in water.

you can have your pool tile "bead blasted" to take off calcium buildup on your tile. Normally in my area So-Cal they charge $4 a foot with 100ft minimum. It does not scratch tile like a pumice stone can.

Wall stains

Postby Guest » Sun 06 Jan, 2008 20:11

After you have thoroughly rinsed the pool down and all the acid is in the bowl(deep end) add some sodium bi acrbonate (baking soda) to neutralize the acid and pump it out of the pool. Rinse thoroughly again. Get about 5 - 1.5 gallon bottles of Chlorox bleach (must use Chlorox house brands are to weak) and pour evely overthe whole pool surface. Wear a breathing aparatus while doing this (you colud become lightheaded if not) You can reuse the bleach over and over and it should lighten the stains or totally remove them. If the plaster is worn down to the gunite there is nothing you can do to change the color. You can also leave the bleach in the pool and start filling when done. Make sure Main Drain is secure and fitted with an anti vortex lid.
I am a master mechanic in swimming pool maintenence & repair with NSPI certification and more important taught old school techniques by my Father before me. 25 years experience. I hope this helps.
achydrocleaning
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby achydrocleaning » Thu 12 Feb, 2009 13:16

cleanpootile. com
Find a tech in your area. This is the safest way to clean your tile.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”