Buckled Wall Over the Winter

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Paul's Pool

Postby Paul's Pool » Sun 23 Mar, 2008 08:52

Hi Folks,

I have a 24 foot round above ground pool

I just noticed that one side of my pool wall has buckled in one area. As well all the sides all around have come in approximately 8 inches. The top cap stayed out but the wall has come in underneath the top cap. I assume this was due to my winter cover and the ice build up on the top and pressure pulling the top part of the walls in.
Did this ever happen to anyone? How did you repair it?

Thanks, Paul

ceeceemari

Pool Wall Buckeling

Postby ceeceemari » Tue 01 Apr, 2008 18:46

Hi,

I seem to be having a similar problem, same size pool, looks like it is pushing out one of the legs, maybe where the seam is. I have been searching for answers and ideas to save my pool, I don't want it to collapes. If you find anything out please share your soluition, I will do the same if I find anything.

Thank you!

Walls buckling

Postby Guest » Thu 03 Apr, 2008 20:01

I have a 24ft above ground. The aluminium wall has moved slightly maybe an inch from the posts. Not everywhere, however, on one side, the wall looks, somewhat rippled (for lack of a better word).
Can anyone out there give me some advise? Will this problem fix itself once all the snow has melted and water is filled. It looked okay about 3 weeks ago.
There's been a lot of snow in Quebec this winter and I'm afraid my pool is ruined. Had it installed last year .
Pool User

Walls buckling

Postby Pool User » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 08:04

Please somebody, any advise, the walls are getting worse day by day, pulling away from the post and in one area, it's all buckled.
I'm afraid the walls may be finished.

I'm getting really nervous.

Thanks.

Postby Guest » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 11:28

Call the place where you purchased it from. You maybe able to fall on them if they installed it.

If you installed it yourself, then you may be on your own.

Hope you can get it fixed!
Pool User

Walls buckled over winter

Postby Pool User » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 13:36

Thanks.

I went out to check again today and noticed that the top wall has completely pulled away from the cap. It is holding up only at the posts and there seems to be a lot of pulling on one post in particular.

The only good news is that all posts seems quite sturdy, so far.

Guys, I guess we'll have to drain the pool to fix this, when the snow melt that is?

Also, is it best to change to whole wall since it's all buckled, crooked and bent? Can this be fixed?

Does that mean changing the liner as well?

Please help!
And thanks for answering.
Paul G

BUCKLED WALL DUE TO EXCES SNOW ON POOL COVER CAUSING CAVE-IN

Postby Paul G » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 18:26

Hi.
I have same problem. I went back to where I bought it and they said I didn't clear the snaow off well enough - totally my fault. It will have to be replaced if there is a crease in the structure. If anything happens and you don't replace it, don't count on your insurance.
Bad news I'm afraid. :(
itisallgood

Postby itisallgood » Sun 03 May, 2009 09:50

I got the same problem any answes lining is ok but walls are buckle at the bottom
Papa John

Postby Papa John » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:37

This is our first winter with our 18x33 above ground pool We installed it and thought we had followed all winterizing directions. We did our first inspection now that the snow has melted and the entire east side wall is buckled and bulging. The west side is fine. WHAT CAUSES THIS? Nobody we talked to before we installed it said anything about this kind of problem. Is there a fix???
anntaylor
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby anntaylor » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 05:17

hmmm... winter day starts... any new planning or any great event?
PoolPillowPal

Postby PoolPillowPal » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 19:27

My brother-in-law's pool had that same issue a couple years ago with the side buckling after the winter. Specifically, when he closed it he didn't use an air pillow under the cover that year and the ice encroached out towards the walls rather than in towards the pillow. He ended up needing a new pool. That's what led us to develop The Pool Pillow Pal, to help install an air pillow without ropes or ties, and without the frustration. Check it out at http://www.thepoolpillowpal.com
I hope you don't need to replace your pool, but you should have an installation company look at it to ensure it is safe and structurally sound. Also, let me know what you think about The Pool Pillow Pal.
Wes
Lizstang

Postby Lizstang » Fri 27 May, 2011 07:47

Wow this seems to be quite a problem this year, we also have a 24ft steel pool. The wall has actually "folded" over on the bottom of itself. We did not cover our pool this year, I guess the weight of the snow and ice caused the liner to someone pull away from the pool. The pool is only 8 years old! We even called our homeowners to see if they would cover it, no luck there. Thankfully the posts are in good shape, appear to be anyhow, the pool is actually 6 inches below the post and top part. The wall and liner have to be replaced, urgh!

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”