Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
doughboyboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE Filter Losing Pressure at Season Startup

Postby doughboyboy » Tue 06 May, 2008 19:43

I just opened my pool two days ago and the de filter is already losing pressure. The guage read less than 10 and within 24 hours it went to above 20 and hardly any water was coming back through the return. Could it be because the water was pretty dirty and the inital filtration caused the pressure to drop? Should backwashing and new de be needed already?

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Tue 06 May, 2008 21:20

no, yes, and yes. filtration should cause the gauge to rise. if it started off at 10 that may be normal operating pressure.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
pool_doityourselfer

did this help your start up?

Postby pool_doityourselfer » Sun 25 May, 2008 13:55

Hi,
Just wondering if this resolved doughboyboy's problem. I have the same issue. I have backwashed and thewater is clear, but still about 20psi on the pump gauge. Return water is low to moderate at best.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mud

Postby Mud » Tue 27 May, 2008 14:14

I have been having a problem this year getting my Pool Filter to work properly. I believe that maybe the motor is shot but I am unsure. The pressure of the filter is sub par. There is not enough pressure for me to vacuum the pool. When I regenerate the filter the pressure goes back to normal but dies out after a min or two. I even opened up the filter and checked everything and put it back together. Does anyone have any other advice to check/ do or is the motor dead??
--

Postby Guest » Tue 27 May, 2008 19:22

Do you have the option to vacuum to waste (bypassing the filter)? If you do, try that. If it works fine then the pump and motor are fine and the problem is likely in your filter.

It may be that the filter grids or fingers need a good cleaning, not just regeneration.

Mud wrote:I have been having a problem this year getting my Pool Filter to work properly. I believe that maybe the motor is shot but I am unsure. The pressure of the filter is sub par. There is not enough pressure for me to vacuum the pool. When I regenerate the filter the pressure goes back to normal but dies out after a min or two. I even opened up the filter and checked everything and put it back together. Does anyone have any other advice to check/ do or is the motor dead??
--
dand
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dand » Wed 28 May, 2008 19:39

I am not an expert, but this is what I have found (struggling) over the past few years.

I typically have the same issue every year. It doesn't seem to happen as fast though. I typically have to do this about 2-3 times a day at the beginning. What I have learned is that:

1. You have to regenerate the a lot when the water is dirty because the DE filters do such a great job picking up junk it clogs the fingers. Make sure to follow the instructions correctly. If you have to fill up your pool with water at the opening season, make sure to add some extra water so you can backwash many times if needed. Especially if the pool is green.

2. You may have to play around with the amount of DE you put back into the filter after regeneration. Typically it's 2/3 the regular amount, but some say more/some say less. I found a little less works for me.

3. If the water was green, make sure it does not go back into the pool after regenerating. Check the return in the pool when you turn the filter back on. If you see a bunch of green come out the return, you may need to take the filter apart and clean the fingers thoroughly.

4. Once the water is clear, your pressure should stabilize to probably a little bit more than the running pressure you get right after you turn it on. If you are still gaining pressure and losing vacuum, you may not have the correct amount of DE in the filter or you may have added it too fast and it is clumped up in the fingers clogging the path of water.
Duffy Pools

Postby Duffy Pools » Fri 30 May, 2008 19:55

Every year you need to take out the DE filter and at least hose it off.

A Hayward De is an example. You don't need to acid wash it. Just clean it each year.

I clean mine twice every year. Right after I get the pool clean in the spring and then in the fall.

If you have a power washer helps. Good water pressure and a hose will due.

The Key is twice a year.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”