bubbles and wrinkles in new liner

Stairs, skimmers, jets, drains, lighting, water features
and miscellaneous pool water fixtures and fittings.
fitz357

Postby fitz357 » Sat 28 Apr, 2007 20:44

We replace our liner the 5th year we had it we were told the wrinkles couldn't be removed. We put in a new liner and by the middle of the summer the wrinkles came back. We were then told to put a sump pit in with a submersible pump we did. we closed the pool and in the spring opened it to find the same problem.

I brought in a different pool person he told me it was my cover. I had a solid safety cover. He sold us a mesh safety cover. We changed the liner again closed the pool and in the spring the same problem.

We left it for the summer the bubbles went down but then black shadows started appearing in the deep end.

What can we do we need someone who knows what they are doing or please give us some help.

Thank you
Linda Fitzgerald
973-728-4642

Confused...

Postby guest » Mon 30 Apr, 2007 17:39

Hey

Are you draining your pool? I am confused about the sump pump part, is this on the cover or in the pool?

You shouldn't ever drain your pool as you will always get bubbles and wrinkles in the liners....
Pool Installer

Wrinkled pool liner

Postby Pool Installer » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 15:08

Linda,

When you mention the sump pump I presume you mean you had a pooling of water in the vermiculite or floor base below the liner. This can sometimes cause bottom wrinkles if a trough or hole develops in your base material. If it is a perennial problem like a high water table, pool system leak or underground spring a sump pump permanently installed below your liner can help drain away the water and prevent bottom erosion and wrinkles.

The two major causes I see with wrinkled liners are an improperly cut liner that doesn't fit the pool design or improper installation of a correctly cut liner. For the bad fit it is a matter of taking precise measurements and ordering from a reputable manufacturer.

For the installation, it takes more than just laying a liner the pool in to get a good installation that is wrinkle free. If you had a professional install the liner hopefully he did it correctly. He should have patched and repaired any low spots or other problems in your pool walls and floor, after laying the liner in he should have gradually filled it until there were 12-18 inches of water in the hopper before cutting in the main drain, he should have hooked up a suction device (usually a wet/dry vac) to remove all the air behind your liner while it was filling and as the water level rose he should have installed and cut in the face plates for the return lines, lights, skimmer and other accessories when it was within 12-6 inches of those cutouts. There are actually a couple websites that walk you through the general installation process for a liner. If the installer skimped on these installation steps that could have resulted in wrinkles.

If an existing liner suddenly starts wrinkling that is generally caused by either a mechanical problem such as wall foam behind the liner floating up or bunching up, water seeping in behind the liner from a leak or groundwater runoff or deteriorating or shifting pool walls. Another possible cause is a substantial chemical embalance such as the pH being way acidic that can cause some liners to stretch and wrinkle.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Jane K

We opened our pool two days ago.

Postby Jane K » Tue 27 May, 2008 20:40

It is 20 by 40 ft. It is two years old. When we opened it this year, we noticed wrinkles all over shallow end. Today when we got home from work we have now noticed a 2.5 ft width circular bubble two feet tall rising from the bottom of the shallow end.

We need help. We have several neighbors that all experienced the same type problem.

All answers have been different. We had an earthquake here about a month ago. Also we have had an incredible amount of rain. We are on a hill so we really do not think the problem is the water table since we have a dry basement. Help what do we need to do?
falcon0321

Postby falcon0321 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 22:45

Anytime a liner floats, or bubbles, it is because there is water under the liner. Either from the liner leaking or ground water pushing up. Since it is a new liner, and your neighbors are having the same problem, it has to be ground water.

Wrinkles from ground water usually show up in spring time or after periods of heavy rain. If you pool is ona hill, it could be the underground water traveling down that hill that is pushing up on the liner.

The only way to solve ground water causing problems around a pool is to put in a sump system under the pool liner and under the vermiculite, or build a dewatering trough all around the pool, this must be deeper than the pool depth to have any effect.

Best of luck.

Nick

Kalifornia Pool & Spa
MN
linerless

Bubbles and wrinkles in new liner

Postby linerless » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:45

falcon0321 wrote:Anytime a liner floats, or bubbles, it is because there is water under the liner. Either from the liner leaking or ground water pushing up. Since it is a new liner, and your neighbors are having the same problem, it has to be ground water.

Wrinkles from ground water usually show up in spring time or after periods of heavy rain. If you pool is ona hill, it could be the underground water traveling down that hill that is pushing up on the liner.

The only way to solve ground water causing problems around a pool is to put in a sump system under the pool liner and under the vermiculite, or build a dewatering trough all around the pool, this must be deeper than the pool depth to have any effect.

We have a similar problem. I was afraid this would be the answer. :thumbdown:

So I suppose we need to dig a trench around the pool, put down drainage and keep the pool dry from the outside. Boy oh boy! It couldn't have come at a worse time with the economy really starting to pinch. :(
Lindsayandmike

Postby Lindsayandmike » Sun 26 Jul, 2009 17:16

Hi
Just wondering if the wrinkles caused by too much rain water go away on their own, as the rain water dries, or if we need someone to come in and fix it. we have had over 3 inches of rain this weekend and just noticed the wrinkles pop up....
Thanks
Vinyl Master
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Bubbles and wrinkles in new liner

Postby Vinyl Master » Tue 28 Jul, 2009 22:15

When pool water pressure is greater than ground water pressure the water under the liner should go away. Yes the only problem is if the liner dosen't go back to its original position , you would be left with wrinkles. To remove the wrinkles there is no easy way. You would need to drain the pool and reset the liner. If you wanted to get the wrinkles removed it should be done this year. Vinyl has a memory and the longer they are there the more permanent they will be. Talk to your local pool guy. You should never drain your pool unless you know what you are getting yourself into.
jay liner pro16

Postby jay liner pro16 » Sat 01 Aug, 2009 06:37

If u have a main drain you need to put a hydrostatic valve in it to relieve pressure,only way to save the liner from wrinkles after install
pool guy89

Postby pool guy89 » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:05

hi fitz,

im a pool technician and i have been for 11 years, and for about 9 years my main area of knowledge is vinyl liners. ive read what you have posted and there are a couple things that might help.

1- do you have a french well, or sump well? this is weeping tile place around the perimeter of the pool, having this installed collects al your ground water before it gets to your liner, which can b e pumped out using a submersible pump.
2- is your backyard a lower grade or properties around you sloping towards yours?
3-your pool liner may have a leak. get a diver to come in or a pool guy to do a drain and search to patch the liner from behind any questions you can contact me at mitchellcustoms@live.ca
hope this helps
pool guy89

Postby pool guy89 » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:07

just read the post above mine, never ever put in a hydrostatic valve in your maindrain. these are made specifically for concrete pools. every pool i do a liner replacement on i remove the hydrostatic. debris gets caught on the gasket causing the hydrostatic not to close properly, therefore your pool is constantly be losing water
peaches

Postby peaches » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 11:32

Had same problem twice. Pool liner was to big
Tisbury

New Wrinkles in Liner

Postby Tisbury » Wed 23 May, 2012 19:38

Hello everyone! We bought our first house together in October of 2011. The 20x50 pool had already been closed for the winter so our first opportunity to swim in it was this April when we had it professionally opened. Everything was absolutely perfect until I started to notice that I could not keep my pool at the correct level and, with the help of above mentioned professionals, we found a leak behind the main LED. I drained the water about 3 feet in order to gain access to the lamp, smothered the entire hole with silicone, and then filled the pool back up a couple of days later once the silicone had dried.
Now, after draining the water, there are a couple 4-5 foot long wrinkles in the liner in the shallow end. I thought the water pressure after filling the pool would press down enough on the edges to stretch them out, but I guess that was naive of me. Of course my hose has been filling the pool back up for about 30 hours straight now and the wrinkles are still there.
What would be the easiest way to get the wrinkles out without draining the water... again...
Please tell me there's another way. Everything else works great, and I have a huge Memorial Day party this weekend so I don't want to drain and start over right now.
If I have to drain the pool, can I wait until after this weekend? Or will the wrinkles pretty much set by then?

Thank you all so much for your help, I really do appreciate your time. :)

Best Regards,

Tony
515-991-5573

Return to “Skimmers, Jets, Lighting & Other Pool Fixtures”