DE filter clogging caused by much algae

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
cwippen
I'm new here
I'm new here

DE filter clogging caused by much algae

Postby cwippen » Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:09

I recently purchased a used DE filter. I had it chemically cleaned at the pool store, so it should be clean. The problem is that I have 3-4 inches of algoe on the bottom of the pool. I added the algaecide the pool store sold me, so I am assuming the algae is dead. When I hook up the vacuum hose and start the filter, the pressure of the filter goes up to 20 lbs within 10-15 minutes. I have to turn off the filter, do the "bumping" and turn the filter on again. Is there something I am doing wrong, or do I have to sit by the pool constantly because the pressure increases so quickly? I have a 24' round above ground pool and recharge the filter with 3 pounds of DE.
I have seen in other posts that measuring CYA is important. What is CYA and how do I measure it?

Re: DE filter clogging caused by much algae

Postby Guest » Fri 25 Jul, 2008 00:26

It is normal for the filter to plug up trying to clear that amount of algae. If you have a multiport valve for the filter you can set it to waste when you vacuum and that bypasses the filter.

You can also plumb a line that does the same thing (vacuums to waste). Really comes in handy.

CYA is cyanuric acid and when added to the pool combines with the chlorine you use and protects it from breakdown by the sun. There are test kits for measuring the level of CYA.

Very difficult to keep chlorine in a pool if there isn't CYA in it.

cwippen wrote:I recently purchased a used DE filter. I had it chemically cleaned at the pool store, so it should be clean. The problem is that I have 3-4 inches of algoe on the bottom of the pool. I added the algaecide the pool store sold me, so I am assuming the algae is dead. When I hook up the vacuum hose and start the filter, the pressure of the filter goes up to 20 lbs within 10-15 minutes. I have to turn off the filter, do the "bumping" and turn the filter on again. Is there something I am doing wrong, or do I have to sit by the pool constantly because the pressure increases so quickly? I have a 24' round above ground pool and recharge the filter with 3 pounds of DE.
I have seen in other posts that measuring CYA is important. What is CYA and how do I measure it?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”