brown spots on sides and bottom or pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
poolgal

brown spots on sides and bottom or pool

Postby poolgal » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 12:57

Help! Last year we bought a house with a 30 yr old Anthony plaster pool (20,000 gallons). We just opened it a few weeks ago for the first time. The sides looked a little discolored, but everything else looked fine. Now there are "brown" spots all over the bottom of the pool, and the discoloration on the sides seems to be growing. I am shocking it, now the chlorine levels are high, I bought a wire brush and plan to go home and try to brush it off, as the regular brush does nothing. Any ideas??

Re: brown spots on sides and bottom or pool

Postby Guest » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 14:37

First step is to determine if the stains are organic (algae etc) or metallic. You can have a local pool store test for metals.

Try holding a vitamin C tablet on one of the stains. If it removes the stain then it's a metal stain, probably iron. It should lift the stain within a minute or so if it's going to work.

poolgal wrote:Help! Last year we bought a house with a 30 yr old Anthony plaster pool (20,000 gallons). We just opened it a few weeks ago for the first time. The sides looked a little discolored, but everything else looked fine. Now there are "brown" spots all over the bottom of the pool, and the discoloration on the sides seems to be growing. I am shocking it, now the chlorine levels are high, I bought a wire brush and plan to go home and try to brush it off, as the regular brush does nothing. Any ideas??
poolgal

Postby poolgal » Tue 09 Sep, 2008 19:58

Thanks for the reply. I am fairly certain that it is metal - the iron reading was at 2.20. Any idea on how to remove the stains, short of buying a life-sized vitamin c tablet? :(

Anonymous wrote:First step is to determine if the stains are organic (algae etc) or metallic. You can have a local pool store test for metals.

Try holding a vitamin C tablet on one of the stains. If it removes the stain then it's a metal stain, probably iron. It should lift the stain within a minute or so if it's going to work.

poolgal wrote:Help! Last year we bought a house with a 30 yr old Anthony plaster pool (20,000 gallons). We just opened it a few weeks ago for the first time. The sides looked a little discolored, but everything else looked fine. Now there are "brown" spots all over the bottom of the pool, and the discoloration on the sides seems to be growing. I am shocking it, now the chlorine levels are high, I bought a wire brush and plan to go home and try to brush it off, as the regular brush does nothing. Any ideas??

Postby Guest » Wed 10 Sep, 2008 15:36

I would use the vitamin C tab to test how it removes the stain. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid and you can buy it for stain removal, but first check to see if it is going to work.

You can read the directions here, www(dot)troublefreepool(dot)com/ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298(dot)html

Postby Guest » Thu 11 Sep, 2008 14:04

Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous wrote:I would use the vitamin C tab to test how it removes the stain. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid and you can buy it for stain removal, but first check to see if it is going to work.

You can read the directions here, www(dot)troublefreepool(dot)com/ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298(dot)html

Postby Guest » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 08:41

It worked!

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous wrote:I would use the vitamin C tab to test how it removes the stain. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid and you can buy it for stain removal, but first check to see if it is going to work.

Postby Guest » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 16:11

Glad to hear that!

Anonymous wrote:It worked!

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for your help!!

not so birhgt

vitamin C

Postby not so birhgt » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 16:00

I put the vitamin c on the stain and it turned a purplish-brown...which, by the way, won't come off

no what? seeking ideas :oops:

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”