Red Algae

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
smokey
I'm new here
I'm new here

Red Algae

Postby smokey » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 15:08

Has anyone run into RED algae. It is harder than mustard algae to remove (need a stainless brush).
I don't seem to get rid of it permanently. Chemicals are normal (although I do run the chlorine high because of high water temps this time of year in FL
Just wondered if anyone is familiar with the red stuff?

South TX Poolguy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby South TX Poolguy » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 21:24

Are you really close to the coast or is someone bringing it in when they swim in the ocean.

A stainless brush? You mean the standard metal bristle brush that is made for removing algae?

It is a bacteria but shock it stronger than normal to get rid of it and dont let ocean swimmers jump right into the pool.

Or you can harvest it and make a few bucks.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 22:15

:lol: Now that's funny!
smokey
I'm new here
I'm new here

Red Algae

Postby smokey » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 15:00

Thanks for the heads up regarding the gulf. I've got red algae - not red tide - which we have here in FL. Maybe some of those red tide bugs would eat the red algae.
Anyway ... I'll just keep the chlorine somewhat high and continue using an algaecide weekly.
I've got the mustard algae under control and other than a few small spots of red, the pool looks great.
With the gulf temp up to 91 (great for hurricanes) I feel fortunate that my pool is only running about 85-87 (the screen helps).
joeAtlarrys

read algea

Postby joeAtlarrys » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 15:51

red algea.. here in ny,,,, in a 20,000 gallon pool.. vynal or hard.. we typically use a silver based algea remover... and shock hard a 2# +2# *non chlor *shock.. that typically removes it in 2-3 days,, then a complete wash of liner, then a filter cleaner, if a DE filter we normally Acid wash the grids or fingers.. that normally works if all other areas are balanced properly..
Joe
smokey
I'm new here
I'm new here

Red algae

Postby smokey » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:45

Thanks Joe. We'll arm ourselves and go to work.

Re: Red Algae

Postby Guest » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 18:48

smokey wrote:Has anyone run into RED algae. It is harder than mustard algae to remove (need a stainless brush).
I don't seem to get rid of it permanently. Chemicals are normal (although I do run the chlorine high because of high water temps this time of year in NFL
Just wondered if anyone is familiar with the red stuff?
aslonf

Red Algae

Postby aslonf » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 17:51

red algae can be a pain in the ass to get rid of. cuz not only is it a bacteria, not a true algae, but it can keep on reoccurring from the growth inside your plumbing system. what generally needs to be done is to first balance your pH, alkalinity, and harness, (so chlorine works effectively) then shock the sh!t out of your pool with liquid or granular shock (granular preferred for me) and brush it. so just shock, brush, shock, brush, over and over again til it's gone from the pool, then you need to have your system flushed with either a guy who does it, or some hardcore algaecide. most of that though has become illegal (at least in texas) and that'll be added straight to your skimmers. that way it'll flow through your system and wipe out the crap hanging around in there. then you should also get a filter clean (d.e. filter with acid preferably (same with cartridge) and don't forget to add d.e.) after treating your pool leave all your equipment inside the pool so it gets treated too and doesn't spread again the next time you use it. then after all this, to get the shock out and dead algae, use a pony (portable) pump and make sure the water flow is not going back into your pool and you should be good to go.

little bob
little.bob45
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Commercial pools, and other people's back yard pools

Red Algae

Postby little.bob45 » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 17:53

aslonf wrote:red algae can be a pain in the ass to get rid of. cuz not only is it a bacteria, not a true algae, but it can keep on reoccurring from the growth inside your plumbing system. what generally needs to be done is to first balance your pH, alkalinity, and harness, (so chlorine works effectively) then shock the sh!t out of your pool with liquid or granular shock (granular preferred for me) and brush it. so just shock, brush, shock, brush, over and over again til it's gone from the pool, then you need to have your system flushed with either a guy who does it, or some hardcore algaecide. most of that though has become illegal (at least in texas) and that'll be added straight to your skimmers. that way it'll flow through your system and wipe out the crap hanging around in there. then you should also get a filter clean (d.e. filter with acid preferably (same with cartridge) and don't forget to add d.e.) after treating your pool leave all your equipment inside the pool so it gets treated too and doesn't spread again the next time you use it. then after all this, to get the shock out and dead algae, use a pony (portable) pump and make sure the water flow is not going back into your pool and you should be good to go.

little bob

sorry forgot to log in
SLICKRICK

Red Algae

Postby SLICKRICK » Tue 30 Aug, 2011 13:26

:lol:
little.bob45 wrote:
aslonf wrote:red algae can be a pain in the ass to get rid of. cuz not only is it a bacteria, not a true algae, but it can keep on reoccurring from the growth inside your plumbing system. what generally needs to be done is to first balance your pH, alkalinity, and harness, (so chlorine works effectively) then shock the sh!t out of your pool with liquid or granular shock (granular preferred for me) and brush it. so just shock, brush, shock, brush, over and over again til it's gone from the pool, then you need to have your system flushed with either a guy who does it, or some hardcore algaecide. most of that though has become illegal (at least in texas) and that'll be added straight to your skimmers. that way it'll flow through your system and wipe out the crap hanging around in there. then you should also get a filter clean (d.e. filter with acid preferably (same with cartridge) and don't forget to add d.e.) after treating your pool leave all your equipment inside the pool so it gets treated too and doesn't spread again the next time you use it. then after all this, to get the shock out and dead algae, use a pony (portable) pump and make sure the water flow is not going back into your pool and you should be good to go.

little bob
VERY FUNNY INFO DUDE :)

sorry forgot to log in

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”