pool bugs

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
rcatalyst

pool bugs

Postby rcatalyst » Sat 25 Mar, 2006 19:31

I have a little bugs in my pool. (thousands) they look like tiny pieces of rice (1/8th the size of a grain) They bunch up in groups all over the pools surface and most of them flow through the pool strainer when I try to manually remove. Once I get them on the pool deck the jump all over the place. I have told our pool guy and he does not know what to do. I have a salt water pool. We did not have this problem before we installed sod around our pool area. (lawn at closest proximity is 4 ft from pool) What are they? Are they harmful? How the heck do I get rid of them????

Thanks,
R in San Diego

Pool Star

Pool bugs

Postby Pool Star » Sun 26 Mar, 2006 04:32

Could you describe the pool water bugs a little more - color, texture, activity, shape. Are they like worms, hairy or smooth?
danpoon99

Pool bugs

Postby danpoon99 » Sun 02 Apr, 2006 12:11

I have the same problem. Can some one help!!!

They are in black color, have the same size as fruit flies (very tiny). As a matter of fact, I think they reproduce from the water itself, not from outside air. I found that out by taking a sample of water and use a microscope to take a close look at the water sample. They can jump when you get them out of the water.
Pool Star

Pool bugs

Postby Pool Star » Sun 02 Apr, 2006 14:40

I would try a chlorine shock treatment to try kill them off. Once they are all dead, the lower chlorine residual you usually maintain should prevent their reappearance.
sewfie

Pool Bugs

Postby sewfie » Wed 03 May, 2006 21:23

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem. I have even called a pest control man to come over and take a look. I read the post from the person who did not have this problem until he had grass put in. Could this be the problem, and if so, what can we do about it?
AAAHHHH

Little buggers

Postby AAAHHHH » Tue 09 May, 2006 15:41

I have the same problem. This is the second year I have the pool the first year was bug free. I opened the pool this year and noticed tons of little tiny bugs that look like rice. They are not black but more of a dirty yellow color.

HELP
Yo!

Re: Pool bugs

Postby Yo! » Sat 13 May, 2006 04:07

acctualy,that was my problem in my pool before. try to check your water balance and do the apropriate adjustments if necesarily. try to use stabilizers... :idea:

pool bugs

Postby Guest » Sat 13 May, 2006 09:28

It sounds to me like you have Springtails. If you Google "Springtails", it will bring up several references to the little critters. My neighbor's pool has them and he found that spraying the pool sides just above the water line along with the little critters with a mild solution of liquid dish soap and water, they die readily. Actually the detergent will break the water cohesion and the little guys drown so the vacuum will pick them up. They don't bite and are quite harmless other than being a nuisance. Hope this helps.
SaltPoolWithBugs

We have these too!

Postby SaltPoolWithBugs » Thu 01 Jun, 2006 20:45

I am 99% sure we have the same thing. I read a little online and I have a few things I'm going to try.

We just had new sod put in and have been watering a lot. It is now time to bump the watering schedule down to a normal amount.

We also have some drainage problems we are addressing

I am going to spray in wet areas where I think they may be breeding and treat the lawn with Spectracide.

I also may call an outdoor pest control company if all of this does not work.

Shocking the pool seems to work but only until more move in from wherever (the lawn I think) which takes about a day. I plan to re-shock after all of these other things.

I'll let you know how all of this works. If anyone else has had success, please pass on the info.
califoasis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Springtail Pests in Pool

Postby califoasis » Mon 12 Jun, 2006 01:40

Has anyone had any success at getting rid of these? We, too, just had sod (Marathon II grown Port Hueneme, CA) put in one week ago about 4feet away from the perimeter of the pool. We live in South Bay area of Los Angeles. Noticed these in the pool 1 day after the sod went in. Had never seen them before. I likewise shocked and skimmed surface for a few hours. They went away for excactly a week and reappeared today in greater numbers. What next?
Hanch

Reply to Springtails

Postby Hanch » Fri 16 Jun, 2006 16:13

We had this same problem and I tried using 3 tablespoons of dawn dish liquid to a quart of water and then put it in a spray bottle. i went around the sides and sprayed like crazy and they immediately died when the mixture touched them. They come back a few times but in smaller numbers and then they are gone. The soap mixture is a sure fire cure. It does make the water a little bubbly for a little while but eventually there are no more bugs.
Johnny

Postby Johnny » Thu 27 Jul, 2006 19:09

Can't you just prevent there food source from happening. Kill the alge, prevent it from comingback. Keep your chlorine at a good level and make sure it never gets low.
buglady

tiny springtails

Postby buglady » Sat 10 Mar, 2007 17:13

We have just gotten the same invasion of tiny tiny black bugs and we also live in San Diego area and just had sod installed w/i 4 feet or so of pool. these critters tend to form clusters near the edge of the pool but rapidly disperse if disturbed.

They look like springtails to me under a handlens, so I'm not worried about them hurting me - I know they are harmless little soil dwellers normally. But I am a little surprised about how they are surviving in the pool. Chlorine levels (salt generator) are fine and everything in the chemistry seems to be in balance.

I am actually more concerned about using the dish soap edge spray and what effect that will have on the pool chemistry. anyone have information on that?
Blubs

rid bugs

Postby Blubs » Sat 19 May, 2007 19:45

I have what I believe the same bugs that you are talking about. I googled them and found they're called pillbugs or rolly pollys. I bought Demon WP off ebay and did one application last weekend to the perimeter of the cement around our pool. They are not as plentiful and I can still apply more since my bag came with 4 applications. Demon WP is supposed to last 3 months. Hope this helps!
dekid

sprintails

Postby dekid » Wed 23 May, 2007 00:19

Treating the grass helps . They come through screen so if your screen pool cage is going to the floor you need to make a wall around the pool. We recommend (as a cheap fix) the plastic/vinyl patio roofing around the base of the pool screwed in to the aluminum posts or have a screen company come in and add aluminum walls..That and spraying the yard with demon will make a big differrence. If you dont have a screen pool enclosure you are pretty much limited to yard spay. They are attracted to the water, so now matter how much chemical is in the pool they will keep coming.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”