underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
engqulo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: it's about a 12,000 gallon oval-shaped pool, max depth 5 feet. Plus a spa/hot tub that waterfalls into the pool. I have a 1/2 HP pump and a Hayward Navigator pool vacuum connected to the sweeper line.

Underground pool-skimmer pipe is blocked-how to unblock it?

Postby engqulo » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 11:47

I have the same problem as "DanO" described in his May 18, 2007 post - there's suddenly no suction into my pool sweeper line. The skimmer sucks great, but not the sweeper. How do I unclog it? My Hayward Navigator is hooked up to the sweeper line but with no suction, it won't work and the algae/dirt is building up on the pool floor. I have house guests coming this weekend! Help!

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 04:28

DanO wrote:Problem solved

Since my main drain line was not clogged (just the pool-vac line), I switched the jandy valve fully to the main drain line, so the vacuum line was totally shut off. I noticed, even after thoroughly backflushing my sand filter, that the pressure seemed a few pounds low (read at the gauge on the top of the filter). Since I had replaced the pump impeller a year ago, I suspected there was something going on in there that wasn't good, so I took apart the pump and had a look. It turns out there were a number of palm seeds (small, hard, 1/4"-diameter spherical seeds) jammed in the impeller vanes. I cleaned out everything that I could, and then used a small thin screwdriver to remove all of the seeds. After putting everything back together, I gained back the 2-3 pounds of pressure that was missing.

Then I removed the pool creature's hose from the pool, propped open the vacuum line outlet cover (in the pool), and switched the jandy valve to 100% vacuum (main drain line completely shut off, in other words). Turned the pump back on, and still not much suction, but I heard a big "gurgle" in one of the pipes that I didn't expect.

After shutting off the pump, I started the process of using the Drain King. I first took all the screws out of the top of the jandy valve and removed it (to expose the vacuum line's pipe). I immediately noticed a small strand of fan-palm tree debris hanging out, and on further inspection with a flashlight, I could see a large snarled mess of this palm-tree stuff stuck at a 90-degree bend in the vacuum line pipe (right before it went into the ground). I have a claw-type "grabber" device that is used for picking small parts (screws, etc.) out of tiny crevices. It's about 30" long, so I used it to grab hold of the big snarled clog that was at the 90-degree bend in the vacuum line. I managed, after several tries, to get a good hold on it, and extracted the whole thing. Put the jandy valve back together, et voila, LOTS of vacuum suction! Problem solved.

Have you tried to use a hose or compressor to force the blockage backwards into the pool?

In the interim you could hook your Navigator up to the skimmer.

Larry

Postby Guest » Sun 22 Mar, 2009 17:51

How can I get a golf ball out of the skimmer?
poolcare

Postby poolcare » Mon 23 Mar, 2009 00:18

How fae in did it go? Can you see it? What skimmer is it?
Larryesm

Postby Larryesm » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 18:20

I had same problem with clogged skimmer line. No water flow whatsoever. Main drain line works fine. Problem has existed for at least 4 months. I turned off pump, closed main drain line valve, removed pump filter top and basket, put garden hose (no attachments), in line through filter assembly and turned on water. The line filled with water and overflowed the filter assembly. I let the water run probably no more than 2 minutes. Removed hose replaced filter basket and top, opened main drain valve and turned on pump (I did have to stop one time and prime pump with a bucket of water. After water filled main sand filter I backwashed and then did a Waste flush for about 10 seconds and returned pump to normal filter mode. The backwash and Waste flush may not have anything to do with it but I just documenting what I did. I went back to skimmer basket and the water flow was completely back to normal. Just in time because in South Carolina we are into the yellow pollen and all the other Spring stuff season. Wife asked me if I looked in pump filter basket to see what was in it. Told her no because I'm not stopping the skimmer and pump until at least tomorrow and let that puppy work. :D
JAVIER

Postby JAVIER » Tue 15 Sep, 2009 01:42

I HAVE A HAYWARD VACUUM THAT KEEPS GETTING CLOGGED BY LEAVES FROM A TREE OVERHANGING THE POOL, WHAT CAN I PURCHASE OR DO TO STOP THE LEAVES FROM CLOGGING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE VACUUM. I NOTICE THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE SAY GET A LEAF CATCHER BUT I DONT SEE HOW THAT WILL STOP THE CLOG FROM OCCURING AT THE BOTTOM, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS
mdpool

Postby mdpool » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:57

Just a heads up to all. This is what ive done in the past and it hasnt failed me yet. It takes some plumbing and then replumbing but its worked 5 out of 5 times for me. What i do is cut the pipe coming into the inlet of the filter/circ pump and cut the return coming out the filter/circ pump and basically just plumb it backwards so that it is sucking from the return and returning through the inlet. If your skimmer is clogged isolate the skimmer line by shutting the main drain valve and vice versa.

Postby Guest » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 10:58

Nice one mdpool

That just might work. What are the risks of bursting a pipe though?
Pool Clown
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uses a Chlorine generator, not a Salt Water Generator (SWG).

Postby Pool Clown » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 00:07

This here is what works good. Should be able to get at "super" hardware stores. I think it's called drain jet or something like that.

At rest...

And charged.
Factory warranty service for Pentair, Jandy, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.
KIEKOMAN

Postby KIEKOMAN » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 23:05

[quote="Pool User"]How can I get a golf ball out of the skimmer?[/quote USE A SHOPVAC should get it out.
ijiejnmefjinmndndnenwu

skimmer pipe blocked

Postby ijiejnmefjinmndndnenwu » Thu 27 May, 2010 19:33

janine wrote:Anyone know if a wet dry blower/vac would work to unblock the skimmer line. I was going to go out and buy one but wanted to know if anyone had tried it first before i wasted my money on it

no, it's not worth it. buy a pipe balloon, 1 and 1/2" through 3". put it on the end of your hose, open the pump
and then have someone turn on the hose water. it will force the leaves back out up into the skimmer since
the were sucked into that pipe when someone vacuumed the pool. :thumbup:
dguadron12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25000 gallon underground pool

Postby dguadron12 » Mon 07 Jun, 2010 11:54

i have a similar problem. Why is pressure low in my pool's jet? We opened our inground pool a few weeks ago for the first time in two years and after preparing the filter, we noticed that our jet was giving off water at a low pressure during its filter process. The skimmer was also taking in water at a low rate. This only occurs while on filter, if we do a backwash or rinse, the skimmer sucks the normal rate of water. We have bought a new pump, changed the sand in our filter, used a drain snake, fish tape, and a drain king on the pipe between the filter and the jet, but only the drain king seemed to work slightly.This provided a small amount of pressure to the jet when turned on. Both the fish tape and the drain snake would stop moving after a certain point, failing to pull back anything that may have been clogged there. We believe it is a clog within this pipe because when we place a hose into this pipe, water returns back up the pipe instead of releasing into the pool through the jet, but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas why we are having this problem?
gary

Postby gary » Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:33

i had the same problem i plumbed a reverse pressure line out from the pump
iow the skimmer or vac line keeps running and i then put pump output to either one of those lines for a couple minutes
lowes has great prices on pool valves, you need 3 of those, pvc pipe and some glue
ive had to use it twice so far works wonderful
knownothing

Postby knownothing » Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:19

I too thought my lines from the skimmer to the pump was blocked. Turns out it wasn't. I decided to open the filter, lifted out the part that filters (I have a Hayward DE 3620) hosed out the drum and lo and behold, there was a huge crack in the drum running from the outlet plug in the bottom of the drum back to the piping. Looks like I need a new filter, unless one can just buy the drum. That's why I could not get any suction, so check your filter.
clogged too

skimmer pipe blocked

Postby clogged too » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 21:17

janine wrote:Anyone know if a wet dry blower/vac would work to unblock the skimmer line. I was going to go out and buy one but wanted to know if anyone had tried it first before i wasted my money on it

I had a pine cone stuck in my return line. I tried blowing it back out with a shop vac, but did not work. I am going to try the drain jet/king blowout bag etc.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”