brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
4423mark
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24x4 above ground sand filter

Cleaning a dirty above ground pool

Postby 4423mark » Wed 13 May, 2009 21:48

i have a 24 x 4 above ground pool. the owner last year did not cover and it is very dirty cant see the bottom. i was going to drain it completly and srub liner and refill but i have been told not to do so because liner will shrink and crack. can any one tell me the proper way to get this pool clean again. your help would be greatly appreciated thanks mark

Lorigo33

Cleaning a dirty above ground pool

Postby Lorigo33 » Tue 09 Jun, 2009 13:05

hi, we don't cover our pool in the winter, so usually have a dark green swamp every spring. To start, hook up all the hoses, pump & filter making sure there are no leaks. Then fill your pool half way up the skimmer. Once everything works, you will need to add shock. This is available at your pool supply store. We usually add shock & a chlorine stabilizer at the same time so the shock doesn't wear off so quickly. Within 24 hours the color will usually start to lighten. Take a brush and scrub all the sides and bottom to loosen the dead/dying algae. Then vacuum, vacuum vacuum. Once the water looks cleaner (you still won't be able to see the bottom) you need to take a sample to your pool supply store to have it analyzed. They will tell you what chemicals to add, etc. This usually clears up any cloudiness left over. All in all, it usually takes us about a week to get it going from green. Good luck!

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”