Pool pump with no pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
doghouseman
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby doghouseman » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 18:50

Denali wrote:No, there is a PVC pipe running above ground from the skimmer directly into the pump. I cut it once, but I reconnected it today.

The only thing I can think of is that the pressure is different from below ground pipes than if you run the pipes above ground.

Troy
doghouseman
Pool Starter

So you have a pipe running from the pump above ground to the skimmer. Where does the pipe running from the pump connect to at the skimmer? Under the skimmer or to the hole that you normally connect the vacuum hose to?

As you can tell I'm still not clear on how you had the plumbing set up before reconnecting. Above ground or below ground wouldn't make a difference here.

Yes I have a pipe running from the pump above ground to the skimmer. It makes an L shaped turn and goes into the skimmer hole and down into the water. At the water it makes another L shaped turn. I did this because I was hoping to hook a barracuda to it.

Skimmer (pipe through the round skimmer cover)
|
| < ----- Water line
|
|
| <-------- pipe with L shape at the end. Under the water.

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Sun 14 Jun, 2009 20:44

Ok, got ya now. Thought you had run the new pipe all the way to the bottom of the skimmer and into the hole.

Has to be a suction side leak. Sometimes you can hear the air being pulled in. Inspect/feel pipe leading into pump. The pump lid is probably the most common spot for a leak. The gasket/oring there has to be in place. The pump seal can leak and prevent priming. You will normally see water under the pump/motor area if there is a leak here. Check the drain plugs on the pump and make sure they are tight.

You said the impeller seems to be running right. It can be damaged or clogged and still run. Look for debris or a crack.

Good luck with it and let us know what the problem was when you finally find it.
sandi157

Ar in return line

Postby sandi157 » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 13:17

I have a sand filter - when I use it just as a filter - it works great - but when I try to vacuum - it does fine for about 2 minutes, then I start getting bubbles in the return line and the lid for the vacuum will finally pop off - the hoses on the vacuum are fine - no holes or breaks - it does this with both my regular vacuum and my robotic vacuum. I cannot understand WHERE the air would be coming from - the pump and motor are brand new - replaced yesterday to try to solve this problem - the vacuum hose enters the skimmer under the water line - the lid for the vacuum doesn't seem to have any cracks in it that would allow in air? Any ideas?
doghouseman
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby doghouseman » Mon 22 Jun, 2009 19:47

Finally figured out the problem today. It was the pump.

The old pump was a Hayward Super Pump. It was strange that it would appear to work fine (pump water) but not build enough pressure to pump through pipes. The pump itself is only 3 years old.

Anyway, figured it out. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Troy

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”