little red worms

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
pooh85bear

little red worms

Postby pooh85bear » Thu 15 Jun, 2006 18:25

I have little red worms in my pool? What are they and how do I get rid of them?
Thank you poohbear :oops:

kabriensdad

Re: little red worms

Postby kabriensdad » Sat 15 Jul, 2006 12:21

pooh85bear wrote:I have little red worms in my pool? What are they and how do I get rid of them?
Thank you poohbear :oops:

We have the same red worm in our pool. What did you find out about them?
kabriensdad
Msladybug93

little worms

Postby Msladybug93 » Thu 17 Aug, 2006 21:44

Help!! I have this tiny parasite looking orange or red looking worms in my pool. Did you guys find an answer. We are scared to swim in the pool. I have treated with chemicals but it still have not killed them or the little black beetle bug like things. I used ph, chlorine, shock, algaecide, what next?

Re: little worms

Postby Guest » Wed 23 Aug, 2006 11:33

Msladybug93 wrote:Help!! I have this tiny parasite looking orange or red looking worms in my pool. Did you guys find an answer. We are scared to swim in the pool. I have treated with chemicals but it still have not killed them or the little black beetle bug like things. I used ph, chlorine, shock, algaecide, what next?

I have never heard of worms in a properly sanitized pool. "BUT" if the worms are on top of the water you can use a floculant to make them heavier then water, they will sink to the bottom and you can vaccum them up.
dplmartin

I have them too

Postby dplmartin » Mon 28 Aug, 2006 03:49

I have these little red worms as well. They appeared after the water started to turn green. I've swam in the pool with no ill effects. I then vacumed the bottom of the pool and used the net to scoop them out. However, I am curious to know what they are or what they grow into.
dbrookes

worms

Postby dbrookes » Tue 06 Mar, 2007 07:35

The worms you are seeing are fly larvie, the do take some killing as the a tough little mites. I had them in my pool it took a week to get rid of them by netting them and increasing the chlorine level to shock
Hope this helps
Darren
Gillgamess

Red worms at bottom of pool are called bloodworms

Postby Gillgamess » Thu 24 Jul, 2008 11:38

They are called bloodworms for obvious reasons and they are not harmful

Quoted from the following web site. naturegrid(dot)org(dot)uk/pondexplorer/gallery/bloodwrm(dot)html

These are sometimes called 'bloodworms' because of their bright red colour, but they are not worms at all. They are midge larvae. The larvae eat the dead organic material at the bottom of the pond. They can tolerate very low oxygen levels and are often found in very large numbers in the sludge at the bottom of stagnant ponds.

I know because of the few times I have let my pool turn into a pond to make a point with my kids, they did not get the point. Just one of the interesting critters that appear.
sick & tired

Re: little worms

Postby sick & tired » Tue 07 Jul, 2009 17:06

Pool User wrote:
Msladybug93 wrote:Help!! I have this tiny parasite looking orange or red looking worms in my pool. Did you guys find an answer. We are scared to swim in the pool. I have treated with chemicals but it still have not killed them or the little black beetle bug like things. I used ph, chlorine, shock, algaecide, what next?

I have never heard of worms in a properly sanitized pool. "BUT" if the worms are on top of the water you can use a floculant to make them heavier then water, they will sink to the bottom and you can vaccum them up.
a tenta

little red worms

Postby a tenta » Tue 14 Jul, 2009 17:21

the worms are called blood wormsand they live in healthy clean water so at least you know your pool is clean the worms come from flys they are larva but there isnt anything you can do but try to keep flys away god luck but the ar harmless :D
gofigure

little red worms

Postby gofigure » Sat 08 Aug, 2009 13:35

They are bloodsucking larvae that feed on the occupants of the swimming pool and are blood red due to their diet !! :shock:
But seriously, they're only fly larvae and are only a pest and can be scooped out or vaccuumed out also shock chlorine levels can do the trick but can get expensive as they will keep coming back as the flies keep depositing their eggs there mistaking your pool for a pond or lake (depending on the size of your pool) :thumbup:

little red worms

Postby Guest » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 13:26

YUCKY I found them in the horses water trough - which we pride on keeping very clean - we empty and scrub it out 2 x aweek! soo will they hurt my horses when/.if ingested?
Robyn

little red worms

Postby Robyn » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 12:40

Hi... i recently found those worms in my pool....(a plastic pool, with an inflatable ring...)
-must add that we hadnt cleaned or used the pool for a while...
we caught them and put them in a bucket. i then got a product called blu52 (a chemical to clean pools...fantastic stuff!!!) threw it in the bucket with some water,,, and it killed them all...

still very grossed out, i emptied the pool, scrubbed it out.,.. and then refilled it.. luckily it was a small pool, so water wasnt that big an issue.

blu52... the best stuff ive ever used to clean and maintain my pool... (plastic or real....lol)

hope this info helps... :)

little red worms

Postby Guest » Wed 14 Apr, 2010 17:41

I have these in my pond filter i thought they would hurt my fish but on pet co questions and answers actually told me it was good to have them they eat the dead algae and icky green stuff at the bottom eww!! :sick: but its ok to have them hope this helps!!!!!! :lol: peace out 8)
Troy2013

little red worms

Postby Troy2013 » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 16:54

Thanks everyone for the info me and my dad were cleaning the pool and got kinda freaked out cause we thought they were parasites, but thanks for the help. :wave:
lindseymarissa

little red worms

Postby lindseymarissa » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 17:45

thanks this really helped me out!! i just found alot in my pool as i was cleaning it and really freaked me out.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”