brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
fatmoggy104
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Pool Goes Cloudy when Vacuuming

Postby fatmoggy104 » Tue 04 Aug, 2009 10:41

Hi All,
I have been cleaning this pool for about 2 months now. All was fine until about 2 weeks ago. It is a in ground pool with a sand filter. When i Vacuum the pool it starts to go cloudy by the time i have finished i cannot see the bottom and it takes about 5 hours to clear. I have checked the suction on the Vacuum and it very good . Could it need a sand change ? or am i doing something else wrong, If i vacuum it to waste it is not as bad.

elf

Postby elf » Wed 05 Aug, 2009 15:32

When you vacuum you have to first move your multiport valve to waste, then vacuum. once done move multiport valve back to filter and you will be good.
fatmoggy104
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby fatmoggy104 » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 03:23

Thanks for that but if the pool is not that dirty it a big waste of water, if i do it to waste every time i want to vacuum. surely you vacuum to filter then backwash is that not the idea of having sand in the filter?
elf

Postby elf » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 09:01

I understand your way of thinking but this is why sand filters are the bottom of the barrel filters compared to DE filters or Cartridge filters. The sand filter does not hold alot of dirt/debris unless oversized for your pool which most people do not want to do.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Fri 07 Aug, 2009 11:58

Sand filters are the best and easiest to use. And the problem is not using one too big, it is using one that is big enough. I have seen SO many that are undersized for the pool. Putting your filter into waste mode to vacuum is completely idiotic. If the pool goes cloudy from vacuuming then it seems obvious the debris is going directly back to the pool in which case there is something wrong with the filter.

Vacuum in filter, then backwash for 2-3 minutes or until the sight glass is clear, then rinse for 30 seconds or so, then back to filter. Always turn off the pump when switch the dial valve.

Sand filters have the worst micron filter rating, then cartridge and DE the best.

BUT

Sand is easiest to use, then cartridge and DE the hardest. This includes all the cleaning and maintainence. And you must use them properly to obtain the best filtering, but you know what? I have said this many times and In all my plentiful years of doing pools I still don't think you can tell the difference by looking at the water.
tfagan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby tfagan » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 17:24

you may need a sand change. Best way to check for this is if you see sandy stuff on your steps of your pool. If you wave your hand over it it clouds up your water you may have Yellow Algae problem. If it just grainy then you need a sand change. Sand lasts about 3-5 years. If it is yellow algae it is too small to be caught in the filter and requires a special treatment. Once the treatment is done it takes about a week. keep treating til you don't see sand in your pool. Wait a week try vacuuming to waste and see how it looks.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”