cheap way to heat pool

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.

cheap way to heat pool

Postby Guest » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 15:30

I have a 12' x 24' x 4', above ground pool. Where I live I am not able to put anything on my roof, and I am looking for a way to heat my pool so that my kids can start swimming earlier in the year. Does anyone have a suggestions on how I can get my pool a little warmer? I am pretty handy and any suggestions would be appreciated.

errmjr

Postby errmjr » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:31

I also looked for the easiest way to heat my pool two years ago. I went with solar panels and found that i could not get the warm temp my kids were looking for to enjoy the pool. I swicthedto a gas heater. I talked to a few local plumbers that would work with me. I dug my own ditch (90ft), bought the 100ft of the Yellow plastic gasline and risers from a local suppplier for $140. Bought a Pentair 100BTU for an above ground pool on-line for $800 shipped. ( I had to search many locations) . order 1 1/2 ton of sand to line the ditch and place on top of the gasline. Also had some extra coated copper wire to lay ontop of the line that the plumber apporved of. After I placed the heater and connected all the pump piping into the heater, the plumb came on-site pressure tested, and attached the gasline to the heater and housing . He charged me $275.00. Last season was the best season for the pool, and the kids used it, and the pool was opened at the begging of May (Live in Pittsburgh). Everyone will scare you about the gas cost, and I was skepitcal to, but truely It wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
DMRDMR
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: cheap way to heat pool

Postby DMRDMR » Fri 18 Apr, 2008 23:07

I would go with a modification of "canuk"'s heater in the "home made pool heater" forum. You just have to figure out somewhere else to run the hose. A recommendation from a friend of mine is a black painted piece of plywood either on the ground or raised up on some sort of frame, if you prefer.

Another much easier option is a solar cover. Looks like bubble wrap. Available at any pool store or online. Much easier than anything else. I used just this on a 16x4 round above ground last year and was very pleased with the results.

Postby Guest » Sat 03 May, 2008 00:01

Hi,

Have you thought about using Liquid Solar Pool Cover?

It slows down evaporization and keeps your pool about 8 degrees warmer.

Only costs pennies per day to use.

You can make your own at home.

See the following website

www(dot)LiquidSolarPoolCover(dot)homestaed(dot)com
stkman

Pool heat

Postby stkman » Mon 19 May, 2008 15:39

I would stick with the solar cover and a solar panel. The # of panels required depends on the size of the pool.

Living in Calgary, our season is about 2 months long and in the evenings it can and does get quite cool. 8-10C or I guess about 48-50 F in the nightime during high summer.! The solar cover does wonders and the single Enersol panel that I have keeps the pool in the high 70's to low 80's. Not much more mind ya.

cheers,

stk
phantomlb

cheap way to heat pool

Postby phantomlb » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 13:06

I have a above ground pool. I also have a 55 gallon drum with 2 drum heaters. How do I go about circulating the water from the pool into the drum and back into the pool? The water in the drum gets quite warm, so I know it will work well once I figure out what kind of pump to use inside the drum.
Zoom

Re: cheap way to heat pool

Postby Zoom » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 04:43

DMRDMR wrote:I would go with a modification of "canuk"'s heater in the "home made pool heater" forum. You just have to figure out somewhere else to run the hose. A recommendation from a friend of mine is a black painted piece of plywood either on the ground or raised up on some sort of frame, if you prefer.

Another much easier option is a solar cover. Looks like bubble wrap. Available at any pool store or online. Much easier than anything else. I used just this on a 16x4 round above ground last year and was very pleased with the results.

Can I do the solar cover my self? any information on how?

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”