Will Alage Damage Plaster.

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.

Postby Guest » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 05:31

If you leave a pool with either black Diamond Bright or Pebble Tech (I dont really know who's plaster it is) It is really rough what ever it is...Like 80 grit sandpaper...Leave a pool green will it all kinds of debris in it, damage the plaster ?

It was let go after Hurricane Ike for several months...And when you vacuum the pool it will clog a 100 SQ FT Clean and Clear...Goes from 8psi to 18psi just vacuuming the pool.

Owner does not know how old the plaster is...I think it is just time to plaster the pool.

Any thoughts ???

Any replys, feedback, opinion's would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 26 Aug, 2009 18:24

Algae alone, being living organism, does not damage Diamond Brite or Pebble Tech.
It is rather the chemical imbalances that can ruin plaster in a unatended gunite pool in matter of a few months.
To give an opinion on your situation is as difficult as buying a car over the phone.
Call a few pool local re-plasterers to give you on site advice.
Bear in mind that they are there for you, to collect valuable information not necessarily to get a job!!
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:02

Algae will actually grow roots into the wall of your pool so yes, it can damage the finish and the walls. This is why it is so hard to get rid of bad algae probems, you need to kill the roots that are imbedded in the wall.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:15

Yes, algae will grow roots into a plaster. in a case of pebble tech and even Diamond Brite where the the exposure area consists mainly of impenetrable substance this effect is very limited. This study pertains mainly to marcite surface. When you closely examine Diamond Brite surface, the compound exposure between individual particles of the quartz stone is maybe 10-15%. That is why it is resistant to algae to grab and hold the surface.
Hookem
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Hookem » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 03:02

Thank you for the reply's.

Maybe a little more information will clarify my position.

I turned the pool around for the owner...Just hosed off the cartridge...Netted all the debris out of it...Shocked it...Brushed it...Just your usual turn around.

Cleared it up...Balanced the chemical's...Replaced the cartridge.

Started doing the monthly service...I told the owner the plaster was coming off when I cleaned the pool and clogging the filter...Requiring me to clean the filter every week.

The owner was reffered to me by a friend...I have since dropped service due to owners refusal to pay on time.

I ask my friend if the owner ever said anything about the pool...My friend told me that the owner stated that I was over zealous performing the maintence and that is why the plaster was coming off.

The owner claims that by me vacuuming and brushing the pool with a nylon brush every week...Doing what the owner was supposed to be paying me for every single week without fail...Is why the plaster is coming off.

After Ike I did a bunch of turn arounds...And the first known to me Diamond Bright pool was a monster...Even doing the Jack's Yellow stuff or the United Yellow Treat and bombing the pool...The algae just laughed at hitting it with a stainless brush.

Really took a bath on that one.

But not one bit of Diamond Bright ended up in the pump basket or filter.

And yeah...Me and black algae know each other quiet well...LOL...That and my little friend...The dreaded 9" stainless brush.

:crazy:
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby czechmate » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:33

That is one thing I always had a trouble to understand.
Gunite pool ,with a superior plaster work, of reasonable size running on a cartridge filter.
It is like putting Masseratti engine in the Ford Pinto or vise versus.
As far as Diamond Brite surface, nylon brush cannot hurt it's surface.
Nylon and stainless combo type brush is used periodically on the starting algae without known detrimental effect on the aggregate. It is extremely hard surface and due to minimum exposure of a concrete compound the surface is mainly a quartz stone particles.
You will go through a lot of nylon bristles before you wear of ANY significant thickness of the plaster.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”